Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shopping for tires and can't seem to find something I am happy with for what I am working with. I have a leveling kit and stock XE rims. Are these 17x9 rims?
How much wider of a tire can you go on a rim to where it is still safe and proper to use?
I am trying to find a real, 33x12.50. Is this even possible? 11.5's just look like the stock tire, not my cup of tea.
Any suggestions? I have been looking at the Nitto A/T's, Toyo Open Country A/T's and the BG A/T's.
Yeah, prices on those differ a bit haha.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Your stock rims are 7 1/2" nominal, just like the off road pkg. alloys. They are closer to 8.5" with a tape.

You can run a 305mm (12 inch), wide tire on them. Some of the narrower 12.5 inch tires will work. The narrow rims will pull the width in 2/10 of an inch, for every half an inch that it is narrower than the spec rim the tire was measured on. If the spec for a tire state 12.3" width on a 9" rim, usually like 8.0(9.0)10.0 meaning the specs are measured on the one in parenthesis or bold font. So take the spec rim minus your rim's nominal width and you have 1.5" or 3/2" so 3x 2/10" is 6/10". 12.3" - .6" = 11.7".

My BFG AT KO tires are 11.1" wide on the 7.5" rims, but they are advertised as 11.5" tires, (on a 8.5"rim).

Do you really want them wider, or to just stick out more? If you get an aftermarket rim with a 4.5" backspacing, it will stick out an inch more than the stock 5.5" backspacing, and get a 8.5" rim and there's another inch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased a set of BigO 33x12.5x17 for my winter tires. They looked great compared to my stockers that I am know running for summer. Might want to check to see if you have a local BigO tire dealer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want a wider tire. A tire that fits the rim nice. I'll be shopping more today for info and such. Thanks for the input Swarren1!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah, I prefer to stay away from Nitto for a few reasons.
I like these Cooper Discoverers S/T. I think it fits what I am looking for pretty good. Anyone have any input on these? I've seen a thread on here about them already, just curious. THanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts