Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the Detroit TrueTrac is much better than OEM according to the threads...Does it bring the rear end components up to speed to achieve the payload and towing ratings without fear of rear end failurre or is there another element that needs replacing? Also on the TrueTrac webset by Eaton it is stated that synthetic fluids are not recommended. How does this jive with lubricant breakdown due to heat?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
you MUST USE SYNTHETIC! despite what trutrac says, the ring gear needs synthetic, the trutrac locker could care less what type is used and makes little to no diffrence but excessive wear will occur as well as extreme heat will occur if anything but synthetic 75w-140 is used..

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The 2008 Titan advertises heavier axles (bigger diameter??), stronger spring perch (where the U-bolts attach the rear axle assembly), and stronger rear shock mounts in connection with the higher rating.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Continued use of a synthetic makes sense to me due to its not breaking down in high heat. As far as the remaining components I was thinking more of the drive pinion, ring gear, pumkin bearings, and axle bearings. The axle shaft itself is no problem...never seen a thread where someone bent or broke the shaft. Shock absorber and spring mods would surely add to the new '08 payload but I'm just saying I don't want to be concerned about any part inside the axle assembly going down on me.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The part that has/was failing was the spider gear. True trac replaces that.

To date, there has not been one REPORTED failure with truetrac.

And actually, there was a member who actually split the aluminum drive shaft in two. But that had more to do with the large rock/item that he hit, more than failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts