Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pickuptruck.com did an off road challenge of the 4x4 new tundra at hollister hills,ca. you just might be surprised on how this new all world pickup did.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Still, there’s some work Toyota could do to improve the inside of the truck for this kind of terrain. Driving over these aggressive fire roads there was a surprising amount of cowl shake in the top of the Tundra’s instrument panel. So much so that it was difficult to read the clock embedded in the top of the dash while driving at more than 5-mph down the trails. Along with this motion was also a moderate rattle that accompanied the vibrations. Not what we’d expect for a Toyota, and much more pronounced than we’ve experienced in Ford and GM’s current half-tons under similar conditions.

But before we could start we ran into our second minor issue with the Tundra. The transfer case wouldn’t shift from 4-Hi to 4-Lo, which was an absolute necessity for driving the Quarry. It took several minutes of low-speed forward and reverse driving and back and forth 4WD dial turning, with the truck in neutral gear, before the 4-Hi light in the instrument cluster stopped blinking and was replaced by a solid lit 4-Lo indicator.

Sounds like fun...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
sumtersc said:
pickuptruck.com did an off road challenge of the 4x4 new tundra at hollister hills,ca. you just might be surprised on how this new all world pickup did.
Well.............

·
Premium Member
17,095 Posts
"The transfer case wouldn’t shift from 4-Hi to 4-Lo, which was an absolute necessity for driving the Quarry. It took several minutes of low-speed forward and reverse driving and back and forth 4WD dial turning, with the truck in neutral gear, before the 4-Hi light in the instrument cluster stopped blinking and was replaced by a solid lit 4-Lo indicator."

Sweet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
"It took several minutes of low-speed forward and reverse driving and back and forth 4WD dial turning, with the truck in neutral gear, before the 4-Hi light in the instrument cluster stopped blinking and was replaced by a solid lit 4-Lo indicator."
how do you drive forward and reverse while in neutral?:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
The article gives you the impression that the 4WD Tundra does not have A-LSD in 2WD mode. The 4WD does have A-LSD in 2WD mode and you can turn it off.
Also, while they were correct that A-TRAC engages automatically in 4WD, you can turn it off. The problem is that no where in the owners manual does it mention A-TRAC, if fact if you just had the owners manual, you would not know you had A-TRAC until it engages.
The only way I learned how to turn off A-TRAC was reading the shop manual.
I have engaged 4LO probably 30 or 40 times in 2300 miles, I use it nearly every day. I have had no more trouble with engaging 4LO than with the Titan or any other 4WD. Just like the Titan, if you are on uneven ground, you may have to fiddle with it a little get it to engage or disengage.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
How is pointing out factual errors in an article seen as justifying my purchase?
If I wanted to justify my purchase all I would have to say is that I have had my Tundra for nearly 3 months and it hasn't been to dealer except to install my XM radio.
With my two Titans I would have been to the dealer 4 times in the same period. That is 600 miles I haven't has to drive to the dealer and back, plus the time and gas I saved. That alone justifies the purchase.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Sky, I think buzz was poken fun. Its ok you bought a Toyota! Heck I bought a cheby!!

·
Premium Member
92,253 Posts

·
Premium Member
92,253 Posts
Where ya been 330? We went through all those funnies 3 weeks ago! :lol: Gotta catch up, bud. :jester:

·
Registered
175 Posts
And it gets more complicated when buyers learn that some off-road packages are more equal than others. You can buy a pickup with just the 4x4 basics, such as locking hubs, special front and rear differentials to control wheel spin, a transfer case to lock the front and rear axles together, and stock suspension components, or you can upgrade to a 4x4 package with a very capable sounding name, such as GM’s Z71, Dodge’s Power Wagon, or Ford’s FX4, that typically adds items like sturdier shocks, stiffer springs, beefier sway bars, and underbody shielding.
Daddy's home.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Power Wagon is one bad *** truck. Only thing I would change is to make the Cummins Diesel available although that increases the price a lot.

One of the reasons I bought the Titan is because it has the best approach and departure angles along with the highest ground clearance. Every other manufacturer seems to want to build their trucks so low. My GMC Z-71 had roughly HALF the approach angle of my Titan. I could not stand the front that angled down. My Titan has a skidplate the GMC has a plastic air dam, nuff said. I also like the fact that the Titan produces torque down low like a truck should. My GMC's torque peak was at 4400 rpm! Not exactly what I would call useable power.

Does anyone know why GM and Dodge have such high torque peaks? Does this have to do with fewer gears or just trying maximize gas? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I know that IFS is here to stay on half tons and I still think the Titan is the most off road capable.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts