Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on 3 separate occasions in the past couple weeks my '04 with 165k miles has failed to start.

It's like I didn't turn the key at all... the lights on the dash didn't do anything obviously different (they might have changed some - not sure - but they didn't all go out or anything). The battery seems fine - no dimming of lights etc.

Absolutely zero movement or noise from the starter. It's like something completely failed to get the message that I'd turned the key.

I thought it was the starter solenoid/plunger thing - but a few minutes of looking has me wondering about this IPDM relay. Any thoughts?

I wanted to get a multimeter on the starter leads - but it sounds like it's buried under the manifold and hard to get to.

Sorry if this is a stupid/obvious question... I kind of lose my ability to reason when my truck goes down! :teeth:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Couple things,
IF you havent had it done yet check the ECM relay in the IPDM and if thatsgood it could also be a faulty key or even a alarm concern.
I work at a dealer and have only seen starters on these truck go bad ONCE, and it was JUS making noise, didnt even fail..

·
Premium Member
57,712 Posts
Are you absolutely positive without a shadow of a doubt that your battery is completely and categorically 100% OK? These trucks are unusually sensitive to battery problems. Or as BAC has briefly and eloquently said "It's always the battery".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you absolutely positive without a shadow of a doubt that your battery is completely and categorically 100% OK? These trucks are unusually sensitive to battery problems. Or as BAC has briefly and eloquently said "It's always the battery".
I'm fairly certain that the battery is OK.

I guess I didn't finish the story - when it's happened, I've turned the key and gotten nothing, then I let go and turn the key again and it fires up quickly and normally.

It's only done this fail-to-start thing 3 out of the last 20 or 30 times I've started it (the failures have all been "first thing in the morning" starts, if that makes any difference)

NismoNate: From what I've read plus your comment, it sounds like changing out that relay is definitely the thing to do - and then just see if the problem ever comes back.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
If it doesn't crank over at all, it is not the ECM relay.

It's only done this fail-to-start thing 3 out of the last 20 or 30 times I've started it (the failures have all been "first thing in the morning" starts, if that makes any difference)
Cooler temps can sometimes be enough to wipe out a tired battery.
Make sure the connections are clean on the terminals and have the battery load tested.

·
Registered
180 Posts
to the OP.... do you get spark and crank, but wont turn over?

my 2008.5 did the same thing at 4am at the airport. all lights worked fine. battery ok, starter engages.... tries to start but nothing...

had it towed to the closest nissan dealer, turns out it was the Ignition Control Module. $550 part, luckily covered by warranty.

165k miles... consider yourself lucky. i had 29k at the time

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't you post this same issue like last week and I recommended to check your voltage for your ignition switch?
nope - must have been someone else. My first idea was to run some wires from the starter into the cab where I can watch them with a meter while starting, but then I found out how difficult it is to get to the starter...

I replaced the ECM relay, starter relay, and ignition relay on the IPDM board - we'll see if it makes any difference.

Regarding the battery, it's about 5 months old - which doesn't mean it can't be going bad - but as I said, when the truck does start it fires up with a vengeance.

MuyCaliente: No - no spark, no crank no nothing. It's like I didn't turn the key from "on" to "start" at all.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Some guy had the same issue where he said he tried like 3 or 4 attempts and finally it would crank. I'd check into the ignition switch or anything basic that has to do with the starting system. Just grab a multimeter and check for voltage at the switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well crap... just did it again - so it wasn't any of the relays on the IPDM board :crying:

I agree that checking with a multimeter is the right thing to do next, but how do I get to all this stuff to measure it?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I believe you set the dial at 12 or 15 DVC and tap it in to the power wire to the ignition switch (red of course) and make sure you're getting 12 volts directly when turning the key to start to make sure 12 volts is going to the switch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
****THIS MIGHT HELP!!!!****

i had this same problem a while back and replaced the IPDM and it wasn't the problem. it ended up being the chip on the key went bad. if you have an extra key it's simple just to try that real quick. if you don't just take your keys to the dealer to have them check.

you said your battery is fine, IPDM relays are good (i think, right?), and if it's not the keys another thing to try is making sure the battery terminals are tight and free of corrosion. tighten them down and make sure they won't twist and remove corrosion with some Coke or Pepsi... pour over the terminals and clean with a wire brush (this works wonders).

good luck my friend. message me if this fixes the problem or if you need any other help, cheers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks lead_sled. I guess I'll switch to my other key and see of it makes a difference. It doesn't happen that often, but I guess if I go a month without it happening I can call it fixed.

Edit: Hmm - feeling less confident that this will help. I looked at some threads about the key microchip and the consensus seems to be that without the chip the engine will crank but will not fire up. That's different from my problem.
Plus it seems like the XE models (which I believe mine is) don't have chips anyway.

Ah well - I'm using my second key for now anyway, will post up if it happens again.

Edit edit: Looked up what I have (I know it's ridiculous not to know...bought it from a friend with almost 0 research). It's an 04 SE KC with off road, big tow, rockford fosgate, and utility packages. It does have the immobilizer system.

More edits: I found an old thread from 40-Dan that looks like the same problem. He said it ended up being a loose wiring harness that was being pulled on by the emergency brake - so I'm going to check my connections.

I am in the habit of pushing the E brake pedal all the way into the carpet (and it still won't hold the truck even on a mild slope). Maybe it's time for some adjustment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still fighting this one.

It hasn't done it in several weeks so I was starting to think that it had gone away, but this morning I had to turn the key 6 or 7 times before it tried to start.

I did notice some more details about what's happening, though. The cigarette lighter power goes off when I turn the key (as it should) and I hear a relay click from somewhere on the passenger side.
That means that the signal is definitely getting out of the steering column. I need to look at the FSM tonight to see what that signal goes through between the column and the starter.

I still think it's the starter solenoid, but I've been trying to check other things because of the effort and expense required to get in there and change the starter out.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Let me know if you figure this one out. My 04 with 105K on it started doing the same exact thing you are describing a couple of weeks back. I turn the key, dash lights up I hear a relay click on the passenger side but nothing happens. A couple of tries and eventually the engine turns over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
will do. It hasn't done it since my last post - I'm thinking a poor wiring connection under the dash might be it after all... after it happened last time I squished some things around up there hoping to re-seat things

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine started doing the same thing this week. But not clicking solenoid. It's an '04 SE KC BT 4X4 with 187k. Any one got a definitive answer on what's going on?

·
Banned
1,504 Posts
Mine started doing the same thing this week. But not clicking solenoid. It's an '04 SE KC BT 4X4 with 187k. Any one got a definitive answer on what's going on?
Mine was the starter that went, I got it replaced and it fires right up. Before it struggled a little then turned over and then one day it did nothing and had to get her towed to a shop

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 41 Posts