Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway what so ever to turn this off? pulling a wire, anything? :cheers:

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Turn off the VDC.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok, I'm going to say that this 'auto-brake limited slip' does NOT work.
I found a parking lot, with a long, straight strip of ice.
This allowed me to place one rear tire on the ice, and one on the asphalt,
and try to accelerate.
The end result?
With VDC on, the tire would start to slip, then the 'slip' dash light would flash, and engine power would be reduced until traction was regained.
With VDC off, I could smoke the ice tire for well over 10 seconds,
or until I got the ice tire back onto the asphalt.
(the ice patch was about 75' long)

While doing the tests, the truck woulo only move forward at about 5mph.
I don't see this as any significant indicator that the 'limited slip' works.
Someone please tell me that I'm wrong.

Ok, now that I've complained about that, I did love the truck in the snow/ice.
In 4x4 mode this thing went anywere! I had to weave in and out of the cars & and trucks that were stuck in my neighborhood. Very stable and controllable in the snow and ice.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anybody else done tests like this? What were your outcomes?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Batman229 said:
I did a similar test on a long strip of ice in my neighborhood. I thought it worked GREAT. The right rear wheel (the one on ice) would just start to slip and then it stopped and I accelerated forward in a perfectly straight line. This was not from a standstill, rather from about 10mph. I was VERY impressed with the performance... Drove the right side onto the ice, punched the gas, and then just got a big grin...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Vdc

Batman229 said:
yeah, i think this VDC stuff seems like a bit of marketing "bull," but the Titan's still an excellent 4x4 truck platform to build on. like i need a computer to remind me that we're slipping: my arse can feel that well enough.

getting or adding a rear locking differential and adding a winch is what really helps in 4x4 crawling (and carry: tow straps, shovel, axe, and a high lift jack)

·
Registered
144 Posts
VDC was ON, the slip light flashed and I kept going perfectly straight. I only did it once, engine power was reduced, but I swear I still accelerated...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, engine power is reduced, but was the brake applied to your slipping wheel?
Lowering the engine output (limited slip) is not the same as activating the brake on one side of the vehicle to reduce slip on that corner, consequently allowing the differential to send more torque to the non-slipping wheel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From the http://www.nissanusa.com web site:
Active Brake Limited-Slip

Active Brake Limited-slip
An ally in any kind of poor-traction scenario, Active Brake Limited-slip applies braking force to a wheel that's losing traction while directing power to the wheels with a better grip. Titan is the only truck to offer fron and rear Limited-slip capabilities.
Standard on 4x4; Part of Off-Road Package on 4x2

Vehicle Dynamic Control
Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)* is there to help keep you on your intended path. If your Titan should start to oversteer (fishtail) or understeer (plow forward), VDC will reduce engine power and/or apply braking pressure to specific wheels to help keep you on course.
Part of Big Tow Package

*VDC is designed to help improve driving stability, but does not prevent accidents due to abrupt steering or by carelessness or dangerous driving techniques. Always drive safely.

Once again, I've seen the effects of VDC,
but haven't seen evidence of ABLsD. (I've got a 4x4 SE w/ Tow & Offroad)

·
Registered
83 Posts
abls

I've noticed the slip light coming on in a few instances where there was ice/snow on the road. It seemed to work as advertised. I've owned a few trucks in the past, 2 chevy 1/2 tons, and 2 frontiers. When in the same type of situation, they would either spin tire or if they had LSD, they would accelerate irradically. The titan, although it seems sluggish in it's treatment of the situation, does feel more comfortable to the driver, more control.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when you mash the pedal on dry pavement do you leave 2 strips of rubber or one? Or is the system so good there is no rubber?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the nissan website shows limited slip as an option for the titan in the camparison section of the website, but is not offered in the build a nissan section?? is that simply a mistake or can you get a straight up limited slip rear on the titan?

·
Registered
473 Posts
The VDC and ABLS are 2 different things as stated above. Both do exactly what they say. I have done a forced power slide in a parking lot, and had the VDC kick in. You could hear a "grind" as the brakes fired. Then next thing I heard was my neck getting wiplash as I stopped moving sideways and started going straight again.

I did the same test and you could feel in the peddle the brake fireing on the slipping wheel (use both feet). It works very well, the reduced power is the friction of the brakes. If you are spinning it takes nothing to makes the wheels turn, if there is friction, it takes mor pwoer to make it turn.

·
Registered
250 Posts
kentd said:
Ok, I'm going to say that this 'auto-brake limited slip' does NOT work.
I found a parking lot, with a long, straight strip of ice.
This allowed me to place one rear tire on the ice, and one on the asphalt,
and try to accelerate.
The end result?
With VDC on, the tire would start to slip, then the 'slip' dash light would flash, and engine power would be reduced until traction was regained.
With VDC off, I could smoke the ice tire for well over 10 seconds,
or until I got the ice tire back onto the asphalt.
(the ice patch was about 75' long)

While doing the tests, the truck woulo only move forward at about 5mph.
I don't see this as any significant indicator that the 'limited slip' works.
Someone please tell me that I'm wrong.
Was this test done in 2WD or 4WD?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The test that I posted about was in 2WD.

When I tried the same test in 4WD, the acceleration was great, but it was difficult to distinguish where the extra traction was coming from.

·
Registered
250 Posts
kentd said:
The test that I posted about was in 2WD.

When I tried the same test in 4WD, the acceleration was great, but it was difficult to distinguish where the extra traction was coming from.
I am wondering if VDC is only active in 2WD mode, and ABLS is only active in 4WD mode. The "limited slip" effect would come from the ABLS (i.e. traction control), and not from the VDC (i.e. stability control), which may explain your poor results in 2WD.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts