Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know this has probably been covered before, but I couldn't find a thread with what I'm looking for...

I just bought 2 sets of Boston comps from tech12volt, and I'm trying to determine the best placement for the front tweets. The plan is to locate them in the stock dash driver locations, but what's the best way to angle them? Towards the middle of the windshield? Point them back towards the middle of the cab? Or...mount them in the door?

Just trying to figure out the best way to get the proper imaging. I'm also not wanting to bounce the highs back off the glass and make them sound too harsh. The Boston crossovers have 0db, -2db and -4db options, and I'm thinking I'll start with the -2db...

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
The best location is in the A-pillar pointing towards the middle of the glass. This will make the sound travel along the glass rather than giving you hot spots from having them pointing up towards the glass.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
A-Pillars is best but if you do not want to cut holes go ahead and try the factory location. You can always move them to the a-pillars later on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
For what it is worth, I put mine in the factory location and *I* think they sound great. If you're coming off the stockers, you will think so too.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Like 'dizzle said, the dash works but a-pillar is best. I think when I called the dealer they said the plastic was like 15 bucks a side to replace it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. I think I'm going to leave a little extra wire in during the install so I can try both locations...thinking I can tape them to the a-pillars to test it. I've read that sometimes there can be problems when the tweets are directly cross-firing at each other from the a-pillars, but it seems that most everyone concurs that it's the best location.

Thanks again... :rockon

Tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found this on CDT's website...

Good main Tweeter placement:
Always make sure the main component system Tweeter is mounted “close to the mid woofer” if possible angled toward the dome light/sunroof area. “Never” mount the main component Tweeter away from the mid woofer and or high up on the door sail panel or rear mirror location, never.

Poor Tweeter placement:
“Never” use the side rear mirror location as your main Tweeter placement! Always mount the main component Tweeter close to the mid woofer location, always!

http://www.cdtaudio.com/speaker_placement.htm

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
It is ideal to mount the tweet with the mid and having all speakers the same distance to ear but this is not always an option. Buying components like MB Quart and Boston is great choice for the Titan because they are designed to work off axis.

·
Registered
94 Posts
After reading that on CDT's website it brings up another good point - as I was mounting my 6.5s in the front doors, I noticed how muffled the built-in grill in the door panel must be.

Pointless post I know, as there isn't really a solution other than cutting the door panel and fabbing your own baffle/mount, but if I had that much time....well I just don't. And who would want to hack up the door panel?....

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am glad someone asked this question because I was curious about it myself. But to take what he said a step further, what if someone were to install 2 sets of component speakers to have 2 sets of tweeters(which is what I was planning to do) to make my midrange and highs have a better presence in balance with 2 JL 10W3's. I was going with the stock location, but I am still scratching my head on where to put the second set. This is in a king cab so there isnt really a divider like in a crew cab. I guess I have no choice other than to mount them high on the rear door then?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Here is why CDT said that.....

Yes its true that if you want the best sound you should have them mounted as close as possible. There are some speakers that sound better than others when you sepearate the tweeter from the woofer. This is called "off axis".

CDT has a option that allows you to mount the main tweeter "on axis" and add an extra set "off axis" like in your A-pillar. A lot of the crossovers CDT makes actually has 2 tweeter outputs for this.

They also take it a step further and have what they call "Upstage" this takes the auxiliary tweeter to another level by adding a crossover to the 2nd tweeter. What it does is split the frequency range that the tweeters play at. The lower frequencies that are a little less directional will be played through the main tweeters and the upper most frequencies will be directed to the upper tweeters.

This raises the soundstage and makes it sound like most of the sound is coming from the glass.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
kgMoto said:
After reading that on CDT's website it brings up another good point - as I was mounting my 6.5s in the front doors, I noticed how muffled the built-in grill in the door panel must be.

Pointless post I know, as there isn't really a solution other than cutting the door panel and fabbing your own baffle/mount, but if I had that much time....well I just don't. And who would want to hack up the door panel?....
The truck i just finished has something done to the lower doors i think you guys will like . I can not post any pics untill after Old Town but these are easy to do and looks sweet and lets the mids breathe better.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yes tech, that would be sweet if you could [post pics]. I've been thinking about modding them myself after reading and looking at that CDT page I referenced and reading kgMoto's comments a few posts later. I have a few ideas myself, but I don't want to go too far hacking the panels. Based on some stuff I've been doing with other hobbies for better airflow, I've got some materials laying around I've been eyeballing for this type of project. The question remains - is it really worth it? I'm all for better SQ, but will it make a noticeable difference?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts