Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep blowing my tweeters in my dash. they are on a separate amp for my mids and highs..but i'm on my third pair now and they just smoked..so my question is, should i take my tweets off my amp and run them off my head unit or install larger capacitors on them..??

·
Premium Member
77,868 Posts
If you're using the stock tweets on any amp over 25wrms, you're gonna blow them every time. Take the stockers off the amp, or buy tweets to handle the amps power.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Few questions...

What tweets are smokin?
What amp is on your tweets?
What freq are being sent to the tweets? (active crossover before amp? passive crossover between amp and tweets?)

·
Registered
249 Posts
sorry...deleted double post

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my system is this..

factory head unit with pac interface..

boss phantom 1600 watt 4 way amp pushing V

pyle 1/2" tweets in dash - the ones that are blowing
6x9 planet audio big bang, 3 way mids in front door
6 1/2 planet audio big bang, 2 way mids in back doors.

boss class D phantom 3000 watt amp pushing 2 10" RF ps3's

everything else is working and sounding great..just the tweets are getting smoked..

so thats a low down on what i have kickin now.. the amps are turned down to about 1/4 power level.. i know the tweet are running hot in the dash..they are way louder than what i should run them.. but i'm not sure how they will sound being pushed by the factory head unit..so i was considering adding larger capacitors to a new set to quit them down and possible be able to run them off the amp..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, the ones that come with the tweets.. actually, the cross overs are what is burning up the worse.. those suckers smell nasty when they explode..lol the speakers just pop when they've had enough..

·
Premium Member
77,868 Posts
Go with better tweeters, then.
And if the amp has a crossover, set it to high pass and adjust the frequency to take out the unreproducible lows.

·
Registered
249 Posts
So... you have a 1600w boss amp with one channel to each door, and the tweets in parallel to the front doors? If that is the case, your front two channels are probably seeing a 2 ohm load and getting twice the current of the rear speakers. 100-200w is plenty for most tweets. My Alpine Type R's sound incredible with only 75 w.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just trying to get some ideas here..i'm going to make up some crossovers tomorrow of my own and try those..if they fail, i'll just run them off my HU..

thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts