Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for adding me to the forum. I'm in the middle of the search for my first used Titan. I previously had an '04 Silverado stepside that turned into a money pit over the past year and a half after it turned 140K (rockers, cab corners, transmission, alternator, yadda, yadda, yadda) so I repaired everything and unloaded it before it sent me to the poorhouse and am on the lookout for a Titan now as they seem to have much more power/durability and sadly the Japanese car and truck makers seem to have their eye on the ball much more so than the domestics.

With a budget of $11k I've been looking at 2004-2008 king or double cab's with under 130k on the odometer and there seems to be some out there in my area of southeast PA. I've read that the exhaust manifolds and differential seals are common problems which I have been on the lookout for. Are there any other issues to keep a watchful eye on when looking at used?

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,640 Posts
Stay above a 2008 if possible. Welcome!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. For what reasons? Much harder to find '08 up in my price range and if I do they are usually higher mileage (150k+). Trying to work with the $11k number because that is cash in hand...not looking to finance and have payments. For anything from 04-07 I am not looking at anything with over 110K so the mileage is not all that high.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,640 Posts
Most of the gremlins were worked out by 08. Bigger brakes, most of the rear end issues were addressed. There are a few common problems still, but your gonna get a more dependable truck. I have had zero issues with my 08. The paint sucks on ALL year models.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Agree, if you can find a 08+. That's when the Titan "turned the corner" for improvements.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
The good with an old Titan for the most part a well maintained engine and transmission is solid. The bad exhaust manifolds crack and rear ends detonate. Both very expensive fixes. 04-07 pretty much going to have those problems. 08+ less likely but still happens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good info if I can find one I will be on the lookout for 08's.

What would reasonable trouble free life expectancy of the engine and transmission be of a maintained Titan? I have been pretty much sticking to trucks that I can document at least some level of maintenance on via carfax or autocheck or owner records.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,640 Posts
200K isn't uncommon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...on the advice of those here I am driving 3.5 hours north to CT to look at an '09 double cab for sale. Hopefully the seller has been honest with everything otherwise I'm gonna be cranky pants! Two owner with clean Carfax and 116K miles. Keeping my fingers crossed that I come home with it. Will keep the forum informed...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts