Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I have been toying with the idea of selling my truck. I will be getting a toy hauler in the near future and am thinking of selling because the size of the toyhauler I want to get might be too much for the titan. I am paying the truck off next friday. I really really don't want to sell, even my wife says hell no but I am not so sure. Looking to buy a used 01-03 F-250 4x4 7.3 turbo diesel, I hate ford, chevy and dodge but it might be more practical to get the diesel. Or option 2 I keep it and throw the truetrac in with 4.10 gears. My truck books at 18K stock but with the mods whacha guys think its worth???

TRUCK

smoke color 07 titan 2wd xe crew cab non big tow with preferred package, has overhead console, 6 disc changer, floor mats, drop in bed liner, bed extender, tow hitch, tinted windows and keyless entry. Truck just turned 22,500 miles. Oil changes always been mobile 1. Lift equals out to about 8" of lift.

MODS

cst spindles w/braided brake lines
dr coilovers
2"tapered rear block
rear bilstein shocks
cst carrier bearing drop bracket
c10 deaver leaf pack
black pro comp wheels
hankook 35x12.50x18 mt tires 60% tread left
roadmaster active suspension
s&b intake
flowmaster y-pipe with 3" flowtech afterburner muffler and turned down tip
superchips power programmer
pinch weld mod

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
I say keep it.....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say keep it.....
I have put my blood sweat and tears into this thing and absolutely love it but I have my first baby on the way in 3 months and the extra cash from (downgrading to the diesel) I could get the wife a newer larger car for us and the baby. I already have the cash for the toyhauler and would like to get atleast a 23-24 footer and that would be completely maxing out the tow weight for my truck or maybe even more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've towed a 35 foot 8,300 pound travel trailer with an 01 7.3L Excursion(Built on an F:250 platform), love it. Loaded weight about 9,500 pounds.
There is a performance chip installed into the Ex's ECU and tows the trailer like a dream. I would get a bigger "chip" or power programmer. Best investment made on it!

I love my Titan but towing with a 7.3L is aweeesome.

Avg. MPG on highway with the Ex is about 23 MPG. 17 around town, with the help of the chip. About 10 MPG towing at 75 MPH hauling roughly 20,000 pounds.
If that helps you make a decision.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've towed a 35 foot 8,300 pound travel trailer with an 01 7.3L Excursion(Built on an F:250 platform), love it. Loaded weight about 9,500 pounds.
There is a performance chip installed into the Ex's ECU and tows the trailer like a dream. I would get a bigger "chip" or power programmer. Best investment made on it!

I love my Titan but towing with a 7.3L is aweeesome.
Either way with gas its not like I put alot of miles on my trucks anyway because I work so far from home I drive the civic to work. :eyebrow: I bought the titan brand new and in 3 1/2 years don't even have 23k miles on it. Of those miles is about 20 trips to visit my parents in Arizona which is 500 miles round trip so that tells you how much I use it around town on the weekends.:crying:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Keep it. Trutrac = $500-600?? Gears are $250ish? Install maybe $500-600? So you have a fully paid off rig that can do what you need it to do and NOT have payments on top of having to gas it up.

A beautiful truck, I would hate to see it go.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep it. Trutrac = $500-600?? Gears are $250ish? Install maybe $500-600? So you have a fully paid off rig that can do what you need it to do and NOT have payments on top of having to gas it up.

A beautiful truck, I would hate to see it go.
$1030 for the whole shebang, truetrac, gears, flange, bearings etc. plus installation. Like I said the big thing was just about towing the toyhauler. Since the truck is paid off in a couple days its time to get the new polaris xp 900 to go with a toyhauler.:rockon Just trying to do my part to stimulate the economy lol.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
With towing in mind the way to go is a diesel. Once you go that direction you won't go back to gas. Time is going to be on your side with the increase price of fuel and going higher daily.I am certain dealers will be beggin to unload their new and used diesel truck inventory, especially once fuel crosses the $4 margin. Also, no disrespect to U or the T, I would not tow with a truck with 8" of lift. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I didn't see where you mentioned the toy hauler you want but the best thing to do, IMO, is to keep the truck you love so much and simply look at toy haulers within its' limits. Your truck will easily pull a decent sized trailer even w/o the tow package.

Between what you'll lose in all the mods you have and trying to sell a 13 MPG truck while gas prices are on the climb, I think you should sit tight because you're going to lose waay too much.

Edit: I see the toyhauler was mentioned...sorry. Doesn't change my view though. Congrats on the new baby!!

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I didn't see where you mentioned the toy hauler you want but the best thing to do, IMO, is to keep the truck you love so much and simply look at toy haulers within its' limits. Your truck will easily pull a decent sized trailer even w/o the tow package.

Between what you'll lose in all the mods you have and trying to sell a 13 MPG truck while gas prices are on the climb, I think you should sit tight because you're going to lose waay too much.
Sell the toys if the need is to get the wife a car and pay for kid expenses.

The truck no matter how modded isn't going to be worth more than book to a dealer and to a private buyer it will be the same.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Just to let you know getting a diesel most likely wont be downgrading in the money sense. Unless you are going to get a high mileage one. Just thought i would throw that out there. You do have a great titan though. Also if u drive the civic for work diesel would be perfect b/c if you do a true straightpipe and a programmer to a diesel the mpg is great, even towing. I live in ky and many of my friends have dodges, fords. They tow for work and boats and everything else. So i say get a diesel, but just expect to pay more. and for the offering price i would say about 22k maybe. You can always have a higher starting price and then negotiate from there. But good luck on the sale or changing the gears out. Just my .02

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Don't need to sell the truck, just thought with the low miles I use it I could sell and get a turbo diesel that is gonna tow better for the little time I actually use the truck and have a little money left over. Told the wife about what I was thinking and she said she doesn't want a new car and would rather walk than ride in "one of those nasty looking trucks" so she can get a newer car lmao. However the wife isn't the one filling the tanks I am. You guys have been awesome through the years and have to say I absolutely love this forum. My truck wouldn't be what it is today without you guys.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You bought yours new and that means alot you could afford to tow a lil heavy and replace some stuff when it breaks if it does for the money you could spend on farmer joes farm truck that he changed the gas and filled up the oil in. The dealer gets it shines it up and talks about how its just right for you, the moral of the story... its paid for!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have put my blood sweat and tears into this thing and absolutely love it but I have my first baby on the way in 3 months and the extra cash from (downgrading to the diesel) I could get the wife a newer larger car for us and the baby. I already have the cash for the toyhauler and would like to get atleast a 23-24 footer and that would be completely maxing out the tow weight for my truck or maybe even more.

With a new baby, you should wait on the toy hauler or get a smaller one. Get Momma her new ride. Your truck is paid off, that means more $ for toys or diapers.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With a new baby, you should wait on the toy hauler or get a smaller one. Get Momma her new ride. Your truck is paid off, that means more $ for toys or diapers.
I literally have no other bill than my mortgage which I bought my house in 09 and the mortgage on my 3 bedroom is less than rent for a 1 bedroom apartment. So I am not too worried about diapers and such. These decisions are so hard to make the biggest one is going from a truck I bought brand new with super low miles on it to a diesel with about 150k on it and its gonna be a Ford or Chevy.:crying:

·
Registered
384 Posts
you could just supercharge it.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts