Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While coming home tonight, i got into a little bumper accident with another person. It's technically my fault. My car is hardly scratched and his has about a baseball side dent in it. The guy was pretty cool about the whole thing. Now, this is just after a previous accident i just had and insurance is already really high. I'm not sure of the legalities of the whole situation, but what do you think i should do? Can i settle this outside of the insurance tangle? Help!!!! Please!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident - what a bummer.

My suggestion is to find out what your state law is about reporting an accident. Every state I have lived in has a defined dollar amount that must be reported. If you can settle with the other guy for less, you will be okay.

I have been hit before and the other person begged me to not report to authorities. They agreed to pay for repairs (replacement of quarter panel) and everthing worked out okay.

Good luck

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have him get a couple bids and you decide from there.
What do you mean by this?

My suggestion is to find out what your state law is about reporting an accident. Every state I have lived in has a defined dollar amount that must be reported. If you can settle with the other guy for less, you will be okay.
Florida State Law says i must report to local police department if there is injury or damages exceeding $500. If that dent isn't 500, that means i don't have to report to the insurance company?

I have been hit before and the other person begged me to not report to authorities. They agreed to pay for repairs (replacement of quarter panel) and everthing worked out okay.
So how should i beg to the guy? Could i get in trouble for begging or settling it outside of the insurance company (insurance fraud?)?

·
Registered
107 Posts
hwwaaahhhhh said:
What do you mean by this?

Florida State Law says i must report to local police department if there is injury or damages exceeding $500. If that dent isn't 500, that means i don't have to report to the insurance company?

So how should i beg to the guy? Could i get in trouble for begging or settling it outside of the insurance company (insurance fraud?)?
If the other person doesn't file a claim with your insurance co. they will never know about it.

You said he was kool about it. If it were me, I would just ask him if you could pay for the repairs and keep the insurance company out of it. See waht he says. Not asking the insurance to pay for the damage is not fraud.

Good luck

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phew, Thanks so much KingTitan.

I hope it goes well... the last thing i need is to pay 3k/year for insurance...

·
Registered
129 Posts
That really sucks. Ask him to get two estimates (or just one estimate if he is hesistant). Then, after you find out how much it costs, pay out of your pocket if you can afford it and leave your insurance company out of it. If you can't afford it, then he'll have to file with your insurance company and your rates will go up. You may even get dropped. But if he does this, HIS rate may go up too even though it wasn't his fault (it varies depending on the insurance company).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Paintless Dent Removal

Hit up your local paintless dent removal service (Dent Wizard, Ding King) and see if it's possible to knock the dent out rather than fill and paint. If the dent is in a plastic panel, then it's time to break out the wallet...but dent removal companies usually charge between $50 to $100 per metal panel (not per dent) and the job can usually be done within an hour.
DO NOT INVOLVE YOUR INSURANCE...OR HIS! If you've already given out your insurance information, beg him not to call in just yet. Two back to back accident claims are reason enough for your insurance company not to renew your policy next time around and searching for a new auto insurance company will be a REAL eye opener.
Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts