Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been looking at these ultra thunder 17x9 wheels but i havent heard much on them...

http://www.ultrawheel.com/wheel_detail.cfm?brand=1&id=155

good quality? durable for off road?

also i was wondering if i go with 315/70R17/D bfg AT's if ill have to do the pinch weld mod or do any trimming?

im a total newb to all the tire stuff so thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
You will need a PRG level kit, minimum, and the pinch weld mod. Those rims are just like the Moto Metel 951 rims in that the 4.5" backspacing makes them stick out an inch more than stock, and since they are an inch and a half wider than the XE rims, they will be out 2.5" total. You'd have better luck on your XE rims, but still need the level kit, but much less trimming.

Btw the pinch weld mod looks easy.

Before I had the PRG 4" Performance Package, I had the DR coilovers set for around 2", which is the same as the level kit for a 4x4. I had/have the BFG AT KO tires in the LT285/70/17 (32.8" x 11.1" on our 17 x 7.5" OEM rims). If you look at the pic at this link you can see the wheel wells are filled up pretty good with even a 33. The size you're considering is a 34.5" diameter.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i would need more than a leveling kit to fit the 34.5?

my leveling kit gets here tomorrow too so i already know ill be able to fit 33's, but i like the look of the 35's better.

what if i went with the 17x8's? with the slimmer wheel would that help decrease the trimming amount a bit?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
imaweirdo159 said:
so i would need more than a leveling kit to fit the 34.5?

my leveling kit gets here tomorrow too so i already know ill be able to fit 33's, but i like the look of the 35's better.

what if i went with the 17x8's? with the slimmer wheel would that help decrease the trimming amount a bit?
17x8 with 4.5 in backspacing, (b.s.), would more than likely rub with those tires, they're still and inch and a half further out than the OEM 17s. And even the OEM 17x7.5" rims rub on some Titans ... so I'm 99% sure they'd rub at full steering lock.

With OEM 17x7.5" rims some people fit them w/o any trimming, (they have just under a 5.5" backspacing). But with 17x9" rims and 4.5" backspacing you are guaranteed to have to trim at the pinch weld, and possibly even with a 6" lift. I know someone with 9" width 4.5 backspaced rims with 35x12.5x17 BFG MT that had to do the pinch weld mod, (PWM).

Your only chance of not having to do the PWM is to use OEM 17s. Maybe with a 6" lift you could get away with 17x8 with 4.5" b.s. and the 34.5" or maybe 35s. So stay with the stock rims, run 33s, or buy a Sawzall. Actually I think I remember someone even rubbing with the 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on a 9" with 4.5" b.s., so just buy or borrow the Sawzall.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im ok with doing the pwm, so if i do that, with these wheels and the 315's/35in tires with a leveling block i should be ok?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I haven't tried it, but search the tire and wheel forum for "metal", (as in Moto Metal 951), because they are 17x9 with 4.5" b.s. too.

I'd probably want to buy local and test fit any rim though, because I've heard of some not fitting over calipers, or with other strange rubbing issues.

But my guess is these would work. Btw they look great!

Btw2, some have complained of their Titan's Torque converter not locking up at the proper time when towing with these tires, but then again lot's run 35s and a few even 37s. Since you have OR, that will help at least with performance, since larger diameter tires, make your gearing higher, and with non OR or non BT gears maybe noticeably more gutless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts