Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only put about 500 miles on my truck since the new tranny was installed.

Well this past weekend I drove to KC from Des Moines (roughly 250 miles) to pick up a new project truck (1972 Chevy C-10 shortbed 2 wheel drive). I drove down with a u-haul car dolly and kept the cruise set at 67 mph (1800 rpm's). I average 18.4 mpg on the way down. Going back home I kept the crusie set at 60 mph (1600 rpm's) and even towing back the truck I still averaged 14.7 mpg.

With gas still above $3.25 a gallon, I was VERY happy about this.

Thought I would share.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FANTASTIC!!! Me too! Just got back from 5 day trip to Indianapolis. Went from Tulsa to Indy Thursday and back Monday. Total average was 17.9!

07 LE KC Big Tow....Have an Extang soft tonneau, was the wife and myself, just a couple suitcases. Had the cruise set on 78. Only had 304 miles on it when we left, about 650 miles each way.
I was Really Happy to get almost 18 with a new truck, tow pkg, at almost 80.......... MAN WHAT A TRUCK!!!!! :clap:

Oh, got to go to the 500!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
159,625 Posts
Lots of folks won't believe those numbers. :rolleyes: I'm not one of them. :) I just did a 720 mile trip on 40.8 gallons of gas. That's 17.64 average. I got 18.27 on the way up, and 17.06 on the way back. That trip up would have been better but I got stuck in rush hour in Fort Worth for an hour. The return trip was pushing a headwind at 80+ mph. :coolsmile

·
Premium Member
73,308 Posts
i went to the shore and back on a quater tank... i was amazed, especially with my 9'4" board on the ladder racks, little drag, great mileage!... even with traffic considered.. i think the truck loves the heat...

p.s. nice project truck. my pop had a 69 c10 short bed step side, straight 6 with 3 on the tree... if the floors, bed, and everything else hadn't rotted i'd probably be driving it... my dad had an old 76 pontiac with the 400 motor and trans, was gonna drop that into the chevy.. could have been sweet.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have been finding that gas milage in my Titan is directly related to gas quality. No - not octane rating - but what is added to the gas. In the winter months here in NY they Oxiginate the fuel - (basically wipped up with air - so less gas to the gallon to push a Titan) my gas milage suffers. If I put in E85 suplemented fuel when I visit my sister in NJ - gas milage suffers. If I get name brand regular 87 in PA where they are not playing games with the fuel quality - or messing with the pumps so you are not getting a full galon (yes - this happened to me - my 28 gallon tank on the Titan took 33 gal to fill - reported the station to the state dep of weights and measures - rip off). I was wondering why I was getting 7 mpg at that station. Hills also matter - when I was in coastal NC I had no problem getting 17 mpg on the highway - flat as a board. Here in upstate NY - same truck - 14 - 15 mpg on good gas due to the hills. Yes I believe folks getting 17 MPG on these trucks if the conditions are right and it is a straight highway run. Just my experience.

·
Registered
969 Posts
you can beleive it.. anything above 19 though is getting rather fishy.

I haven't noticed gas additives having an affect, but rather my foot which wants to stretch into the gas pedal.

unfortunately those good mpg trips are rare and sporadic. don't count on it being the norm but they sure are nice moments to cherish.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
nice mileage posts... My mileage seems to be getting gradually better now that it is warming up. I have definately noticed that certain brands of gas have been less profitable for me (averaged 12-14 in winter mostly with best being 16.9 on trip to PA) I try to stay away from them and I do better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts