Nissan Titan Forum banner

Undercarriage Noise

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  tallguy240 
I have an 04 LE CC 4x4 also. Perhaps one or more of the exhaust heat shields are loose (the first thing that comes to mine for "cling clang" sound). The front sway bar bushings can squeak and are inexpensive to replace w/ the improved bushings. As far as interior noises like dash rash rattles & squeaks, you have to track them down one by one and deal with them (tighten bolts or maybe isolate or dampen vibrating parts). A 2004 may also experience a ticking noise that can be caused by poor electrical grounding (solution Active Tuning ground kit) or by cracked exhaust manifolds (typical tic at startup and lessens as engine warms). The transmission mount may also tear and cause a clunking noise. U-joints can get worn and sloppy and make noise.

At 78,000 it is overdue for new shocks if not previously replaced (Bilsteins for example) and you should inspect the suspension bushings for wear (control arms, leaf spring mounts). If it still has the original spring shackles, those should be swapped for 2008+ shackles before they unroll and send a spring through the bed. My leaf springs have squeaked periodically and I hose them down with various spray lubricants now and then. They haven't squeaked for quite awhile, wish I remembered what I sprayed them with last.

Another thing to watch out for is cat failure, which can destroy the engine when grit from a disintegrated cat is back sucked into the engine. If your manifolds are cracked, you (or your ASE buddy) can replace them with Doug Thorley long tube headers, Berk B-pipes and Uprev tuning software (to correct AFR and performance tune) which gets the cats well downstream from the engine as the cats are in the Berk B-pipes. The OEM primary cats are right on the exhaust manifolds. Also, be careful not to let the tailpipe rust off and melt the rear harness which can result in complete shutdown and expensive repair. I would also replace the other shackle, as it isn't any stronger than the one that unrolled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.