Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My rear passenger side brakes are wearing unevenly.

Help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
I cant help u but interested in what u find cause my front pads both sides of the truck wore the inside pad out and the outsides looked almost new

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using the auto guide app

·
Vendor
209 Posts
When was the last time either one of you completely flushed the brake fluid out of the system ? If you have had the same pads in the calipers for a number of miles, the pistons in the calipers can extend out far enough to stick or the pad can become 'wedged' in the caliper causing uneven pad wear. Flushing the brake fluid every year, helps keep moisture out of the system and prevents corrosion. Pulling the pads out and making sure the hardware is clean and lubricated allows the pads to move freely within the caliper, preventing uneven pad wear as well.

A word of caution on lubricating the top, bottom and back side of the pads...Use ONLY HIGH TEMPERATURE BRAKE GREASE when lubricating these items! Also make sure the 'guide pins and bolts' are clean and lubricated too. Check for fluid leaks etc...

Hope this helps.

Keith

[email protected]

1.888.323.8456 / 952.746.8880

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm... I've been really busy at work and there seems to be a birthday everyday for someone I know. Just now getting a chance to do some whorking. I've attached a pic of what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
58,752 Posts
Something is keeping one side of the pad from moving in the caliper. Keith has given you good advice.

Pulling the pads out and making sure the hardware is clean and lubricated allows the pads to move freely within the caliper, preventing uneven pad wear as well.

A word of caution on lubricating the top, bottom and back side of the pads...Use ONLY HIGH TEMPERATURE BRAKE GREASE when lubricating these items! Also make sure the 'guide pins and bolts' are clean and lubricated too. Check for fluid leaks etc...

Hope this helps.

Keith

[email protected]

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
When was the last time either one of you completely flushed the brake fluid out of the system ? If you have had the same pads in the calipers for a number of miles, the pistons in the calipers can extend out far enough to stick or the pad can become 'wedged' in the caliper causing uneven pad wear. Flushing the brake fluid every year, helps keep moisture out of the system and prevents corrosion. Pulling the pads out and making sure the hardware is clean and lubricated allows the pads to move freely within the caliper, preventing uneven pad wear as well.

Hope this helps.

Keith

[email protected]

Define a "number of miles" And what do you suggest to remedy the wedging/sticking piston problem?

Just spray some lubricant on it and call it a day or disassemble and cleanse the caliper assembly? If that's even possible...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After replacing the pads I am noticing sounds. It sounds as if my brake pad is in constant or semi-constant contact with the rotor. I'm thinking I may need a new caliper.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
After replacing the pads I am noticing sounds. It sounds as if my brake pad is in constant or semi-constant contact with the rotor. I'm thinking I may need a new caliper.
Mine.sounded that way for a while too it takes a few hundred miles for new pads and.rotors to break in and bed in

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using the auto guide app

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Did you make sure the caliper slide pins are lubed and functioning properly? The bottom pin has a tendency to get rusty.

·
Vendor
209 Posts
bestatchess

Based on the pic of your brake pads, I'd say you definitely have some uneven pad wear issues. How many miles are on your truck? I was looking at the you tube video and have a hard time thinking that smacking a curb would knock your axle that far out of 'true'. The tire sidewall should of absorbed most of that impact. Unless you jumped the truck over something and bent the axle housing and flange. Is the video of the front or rear of the truck?

Getting back to the pad wear. If you have never bled or flushed out the old brake fluid, it is very possible that the piston is stuck in the caliper. or the pad was hung up from lack of lubrication, and wore unevenly. Unless you correct the problem, the same thing will reoccur on the next set of pads. I'd start ny flushing all of the old fluid out, and cleaning and lubricating all the caliper hardware. Pad retaining clips, guide pins (bolts) and applying a thin layer of pad grease to the back sides and top and bottom of the pads. Especially where they rest or ride in the calipers.

Hope this helps.

Keith

[email protected]

High Performance Brake Pads and Brake Rotors - Frozen Rotors

1 - 11 of 11 Posts