Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to toss out a problem I have been having with my '07 CC for the fine minds out there to solve.
My dealer can't figure it out so it's up to you guys!
I have been hearing a sound from the truck that sounds a lot like the sound you get when you run over the reflectors in the center of the road....but much quieter. (No, I'm not running over the reflectors).
It is easier to hear this noise on very smooth roads but it is always there, it just gets drowned out by the road noise from coarse asphalt. The sound is rythmic and will speed up or slow down with speed variations.
The noise is subtle yet annoying, easy to duplicate but hard to find.
The dealer had the truck all day and came up with one of the back tires being bad. Of course this was not covered by the Nissan warranty and I then had to take ny truck to the Goodyear dealer.
Goodyear said both the rear tires were bad and replaced them free.
But the sound is still there and I'm sure it is in the drivetrain somewhere.
I have 2330 miles on the truck. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
jackhammer50 said:
I want to toss out a problem I have been having with my '07 CC for the fine minds out there to solve.
I have been hearing a sound from the truck that sounds a lot like the sound you get when you run over the reflectors in the center of the road....but much quieter. (No, I'm not running over the reflectors).
It is easier to hear this noise on very smooth roads but it is always there, it just gets drowned out by the road noise from coarse asphalt. The sound is rythmic and will speed up or slow down with speed variations.
The dealer had the truck all day and came up with one of the back tires being bad. Of course this was not covered by the Nissan warranty and I then had to take ny truck to the Goodyear dealer.
Do you have Chrome wheels?? It's the Covers, they are not real chrome!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bbomar said:
Do you have Chrome wheels?? It's the Covers, they are not real chrome!!
Yes, I have the chrome wheels...part of the chrome package.
They sure don't look like covers to me...they don't look like anything is removeable there.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
jackhammer50 said:
Yes, I have the chrome wheels...part of the chrome package.
They sure don't look like covers to me...they don't look like anything is removeable there.
That's what they are! There are several threads on them.
Take them back to the dealer, and check for cracks. They should replace them!

Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the wheels and they are the real chrome wheels...solid, no covers.
I think we can rule out the wheels as the source of the sound.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
jackhammer50 said:
I checked the wheels and they are the real chrome wheels...solid, no covers.
I think we can rule out the wheels as the source of the sound.
Are you sure? It is really hard to tell. You have to reach way back to feel the lip of the cover!

Can you post some pics?

For that matter, can anybody post some pics of the new chrome wheel covers they have. This has become an issue with alot of people!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C'mon guys...need some other suggestions please!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
jackhammer50 said:
UPDATE:
I took the truck back to the dealer Tueday. They had it for half the day and called me to say they had four techs working on it but could not replicate or hear the noise anymore. I then took the service manager out for a ride on a smooth road and he could heard the noise plain as day.
they later called me and told me the sound was in the tires again. they said that the rear tires when spinning on the truck moved up and down. they are going to replace the rear tires. (funny, these tires were just inspected and balanced by the goodyear dealer last week). I wonder what the chances are of getting a new truck with four bad tires...and why did this sound just start a month ago if the tires have been bad since installation. Did they all go bad at the same time?They have 6 months and 2400 miles on them now.
To me, this noise sounds mechanical, hardware-ish...not tires. it almost sounds like a dry u-joint. I can't feel it like a tire that is out of round or un-balanced.
Good news though... the dealer did find a squeek that I could not hear. Apparently it was coming from the left leaf spring. This will be replaced next week with the new tires.
My bet is the noise will still be there. I want to grease the u-joints myself but I am going to wait and see if the dealer is right about the tires. Either way I think they are trying to do the best they can.
More to come.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts