Nissan Titan Forum banner

Unyakable!?

4K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Goliath 
#1 ·
Anybody else find it hard to believe that Yakima CAN'T produce Q Clips for a Titan? What do you guys say to just bugging the crap out of Yakima until they do? I find it hard to believe that one of their engineers and about two hours of time wouldn't produce a Q Clip that would work. Any other ideas on this?

#2 ·
sureee.... whats a Q clip ? lol i know what a Q-tip is but clip... hmm

#4 ·
jsprad said:
The Q Clip is the little metal clip that connects the top of the door opening to the Yakima tower. They spcifically make a Q Clip for all vehicles, but not the Titan. They say on the website that the Titan is "unyakable."
Yakima is un-likeable! They make sub-standard stuff for the OEM's and then won't support it! I had a frontier with the Nissan/Yakima bike rack and I wanted a keyed a-like cable. Yakima's response, "Nissan spec'd it so cheap we couldn't use OUR lock kits." Well that is a Short sighted view, cause I would have bought Yakima accessories to go along with my "Nissan" accessories, oh well lost sale for them and more sales for Thule...

#8 ·
I made a rack over my Bed that has yakima bars on it. I used 2 pieces of 3" angle that sit over the bed sides and I use bolts to bolt to a nut welded to a piece of steel that slides into the utilitrac. Then I bent two pieces of 1.75x.125 rollcage tubing from one side to the other, and used the top pieces of some old broken Yakima rain gutter towers to bolt some LONG yakima bars to the top. I have hauled kayaks, bikes etc many miles with no problems and no worries about wether or not it'd be strong enough. I can't say the same for the last car I had a clip-on style rack on. I was always worried about things moving around. I wouldn't use the Nissan rack for this kind of duty because it's rated to 150lbs I think, which I have exceeded regularly.

Good Luck!
Tim

Attachments

#9 ·
Go to Yakima's website. Enter the info for your truck. Click on the configuration with the camper top. FOllwo it and it shows the Q towers as being compatible. The illustration shows them mounting to the cab. Perhaps stop by a Yakima dealer to ensure it isn't a typo and proceed from there.

#10 ·
Tim C said:
I made a rack over my Bed that has yakima bars on it. I used 2 pieces of 3" angle that sit over the bed sides and I use bolts to bolt to a nut welded to a piece of steel that slides into the utilitrac. Then I bent two pieces of 1.75x.125 rollcage tubing from one side to the other, and used the top pieces of some old broken Yakima rain gutter towers to bolt some LONG yakima bars to the top. I have hauled kayaks, bikes etc many miles with no problems and no worries about wether or not it'd be strong enough. I can't say the same for the last car I had a clip-on style rack on. I was always worried about things moving around. I wouldn't use the Nissan rack for this kind of duty because it's rated to 150lbs I think, which I have exceeded regularly.

Good Luck!
Tim
sweet rig!

#11 ·
#12 ·
Thanks for the responses, but I'm not looking for a kayak rack over my bed, I know I can use my utilitrack system for that. The canoe rocker is too sever to use the basket over the bed, the point of the canoe would hit the top of the cab. I want a standard rack system to put over the cab for the canoe.

As I said, thanks for the feedback.

#15 ·
I installed a Yakima rack system using the Pace Edwards Explorer bed rails on my Jackrabbit bed cover. I used the Yakima Control towers, landing pad 1's, 66" cross bars, and I used the sprocket rockets for my bikes. I also have the Yakima Outdoorsman 300 system to use for Kayaks, canoes, etc. I modified it to also work with my Pace edwards bed cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.