Nissan Titan Forum banner

update on 08 D/W & VIB

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Roadster311 
#1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to start a new thread so everybody could read that nissan has no way to fix high/low speed vibration's that is coming from some of our trucks. My dealer has tried the tires and the leafspring shims per the Tech line then today after calling the tech line again my dealer was advised to replace all the tire's and give it back to me rather its fix or not. So anyways im going to talk to the nissan rep tomorrow and see about a buy back (not that im think thats going to happen that easy). Sense i know they can't fix it and as of right now all i have to do is to take it in 3 more times for the AZ lemon law to kick in. I really dont see what kind of arguement they would have not to just buy it back sense they are telling me they can't fix it.. I was hoping that they would be able to fix my problem but i guess not... All i can say is WOW over 30k and they don't know how to fix a known problem... Also as far as i know they never did look into the D/W coming from the front end...

#2 · (Edited)
They should buy it back and experiment with it till they find the problem.

#3 ·
Aside from the D/W being completely obnoxious, I'm sure there's a potetial safety issue involved too. I would make your concern for safety, a top subject when you speak with anybody.

I don't know if you saw one of the last replies to your old thread, but one guy had a great idea- Don't know if you tried it or not....

Get someone to drive next to, and behind you to see if you can see anything happening to the vehicle- wheel hop, wheel wobble, ect.

I thought it was a great idea.

I would definitely work towards the lemon law if no fix...2 more visits...

#4 ·
I do know that a majority of vehicles come factory equipped with Goodyear tires. I have had 4 vehicles with Goodyear tires. My experience is they SUCK! Sorry for anyone who is a Goodyear fan. My previous vehicle was a 2002 Land Rover Discovery. I went to the dealer so many times for wheel balances because of vibrations and steering wheel shimmy. This also happened on my previous vehicles.
The bottom line fix was to replace the tires with either Michelin's, Pirelli's, or BF's. Unfortunately the dealer would not replace them because they felt the factory tires were what was in the specs.

#5 ·
An old time mechanic told me that todays techs are parts replacers, and NOT diagnosticians. The old timers could narrow down the possibilities until the issue was solved.

Clint

#6 ·
my thing is that this is a issue that has been going on for awhile on some of these trucks and they should have fix by now...

#7 ·
one thing that could be the problem is someone putting your wheels on wrong by using an impact wrench causing the wheels to be installed ****ed which causes a shimmy at speeds. try taking off your wheels and 180 them out and install the wheels by hand and torque them to spec. The owners amnual does state not to use a impact wrench on the wheels, using one can cause the rim to warp.

#8 ·
Good luck man - I think they should buy it back and hope that you could try another 08 Titan.

#9 ·
well I'm just waiting now for the nissan rep to call me too see what they are willing to do..

#10 ·
Good luck man. As stated above, make your safety of you, your family, and others around you a primary topic of the conversation. Tell the rep to imagine what the national headlines will be if the vehicle crashes and injures, or worse, kills someone due to a wobble/vibration/defect that Nissan corporate knows about.

#11 ·
I talked to the nissan rep today and he said that he had to talk to my dealer to see what they say about the problem. Anyways he said i would here from him by monday and if they they can't fix it they will be buying it back.. (The tech line has been saying they can't fix it up to this point so i don't know what can change in the next 2 days). So we will see..........

#12 ·
I want to know if the rims and or tires were made in China.
I expect defective stuff from them as a matter of course.
Somebody with an 08 ought to dig that up.

#14 ·
adkl1 said:
I talked to the nissan rep today and he said that he had to talk to my dealer to see what they say about the problem. Anyways he said i would here from him by monday and if they they can't fix it they will be buying it back.. (The tech line has been saying they can't fix it up to this point so i don't know what can change in the next 2 days). So we will see..........
The rep stated that they would be buying the truck back? What area are you in. Usually the reps are far more evasive than to say stuff like that unless they are backed into a corner.

#15 · (Edited)
Having known about your wobble problem before buying mine, I can't duplicate this wobble with my new PRO-4X. However, I have the LWB truck. I'm wondering...of the few I've read about with this problem, how many are SWB and how many are LWB.
Also, has your truck done this from day one or did it pop up out of nowhere one day?

Oh, and BTW, did anyone ever change...or think to change the drive shaft? I'm no engineer but...shouldn't that also balanced?

#16 ·
I can't comment on the cause of the Vib, but I noticed some more vib (not too bad) through the steering wheel when the bed of my LWB was packed full of snow. I shoveled out all of the snow and it rode much smoother. Not sure what was going on there. Almost seemed like compression of the rear leaf springs was contributing to/causing the vib. somehow.

#17 ·
BayStateSuks said:
I can't comment on the cause of the Vib, but I noticed some more vib (not too bad) through the steering wheel when the bed of my LWB was packed full of snow. I shoveled out all of the snow and it rode much smoother. Not sure what was going on there. Almost seemed like compression of the rear leaf springs was contributing to/causing the vib. somehow.
The problem, or so I thought, was only on PRO-4X models. Is this an 08 thing or what?

#18 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
The problem, or so I thought, was only on PRO-4X models. Is this an 08 thing or what?
I thought the TSB was for more than the Pro-4X - basically all '08 models. Not that I have had the TSB.

I normally don't have a vib and it may have just been the AT Revos packed full of snow so they were weighted unequally. No vib now. So whatever it was, it was temporary.

#20 · (Edited)
The TSB is NTB07-054:

2004-2008 NISSAN TITAN; VIBRATION AT LOW SPEED

A vibration felt in the steering wheel and/or floor and/or seats:
• Driving at low speeds (between 25 mph and 40 mph).
• While driving at constant speed or slow acceleration.
• Tire pressure and wheel balance meet the specifications listed in the WT chapter of the Electronic Service Manual (ESM).

ACTIONS
• Install one 0.5 degree shim on each side of the vehicle between the Rear Axle
Spring Seat and the Leaf Spring.
• After installation of shims, check if vibration concern has been eliminated.
• If not, remove, 0.5 degree shims and install a 1 degree shim on each side of the
vehicle.
• After installation of shims, check if vibration concern has beem eliminated.
• If not, remove, 1 degree shims and install a 1.5 degree shim on each side of the
vehicle.
• Reuse the U-bolt nuts listed in Parts Information should you need to repeat steps 1–

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.