Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heh, well when I first came here it was because of a problem that had arisen, my driveshaft "clunked" in a simple term. Basically it would flex upon acceleration and would hit the undercarriage of the truck. Now it still does it. But the Nissan in my area has voided my warranty because of my leveling kit and tires.

My reaction? No possible way for the two to have anything in common. So I have opened up a complaint with Nissan Corporate. I was told I was going to have one specific person assigned to my case. But it seems that each time I get a call from Corp. its a different person. And this last time they really got me heated because they insisted the leveling kit and tires were the cause and because they were aftermarket voided the warranty. When I told her it was illegal to void my warranty due to an aftermarket part. She asked me how I knew. I simply told her that Congress passed an act in 1975 stating that a dealership wasn't allowed to unless they can prove that the part was the cause of failure.(Magnuson Moss Warranty Act - found while cruising around on here:) ) At the end of the phonecall it was still a stalemate. So I've pretty much decided to take legal action on the account of my mom's boss(an attorney) says I have a case.

I've spoken with Greg from NCD customs where I purchased my leveling kit, and he said he is willing to do as much as he can to help me.

The funny thing is they're blaming this problem on my leveling kit and tires, yet I have a friend who has a titan that is lowered and on 20's from the dealership! Yet, her's does the same thing as mine....quite fishy if you ask me.

What I'm trying to get out of this...I want my damn truck fixed or a new truck that doesn't have this problem.

Sorry for the lil rant but the phonecall has had me riled up for days.

:boxing:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Thats bull that they would void your warranty because of the leveling kit and tires. Sounds like the dealer just wanted to weasel themselves out of giving you the warranty that you deserve. The Magnuson Moss Act should help your case. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Man what a bunch of BS! Hope this gets worked out for you quickly!

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Yes good luck, keep us updated.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Why would you have a problem if all you did was a simple leveling kit. Here is a series of questions, may lead to a solution. Just a brainstorming approach...What exact part is moving?

What is each end of it attached to?

How much movement is there?

How much clearance is there?

What has to stop allowing movement?

Can you see the point of impact?

Have you called Greg at PRGproducts? I'd bet he has a solid answer to what the problem really is.

We do have problem with axle wrap, it can be solved with better springs, or traction bars.

This should be a relatively easy problem to solve. Is the place you bought from, an online seller? What do they think the cause is?

This has to boil down to just a few things in a most general sense; axle moving, U-Joint failures, broken bolts allowing some frame member to move, or excessive bearing playin the trans tailend, etc. It should be visable if you place it up on a rack and shake it down. Maybe it can be put on a frame lift and have the engine accellerated to see the movement?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
AgTitan06 said:
Simple..Dealers charge wayyyy more for non-warranty work than they get paid for warranty work. So, they'll choose non warranty work over warranty work any day.
Warranty work pays the same, the difference is the book time for warranty work is usually a bit less than non-warranty work for the same repair. The reason being the techs should know exactly how to do the work in a short amount of time whereas a general tech may not be the most efficient and the non-warranty times are adjusted for average repair times, not factory tech repair times.

There's also a limit on how much a tech can be paid for diag time for a given repair/problem. We always loved warranty and TSB work, most of the repairs were one of a few common problems so we had a lot of practice and were able to complete the work well under the warranty book time.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hellwig traction springs solved my clunk. The helper springs I had before worked well too but I think the hellwigs work better because they don't preload your springs. JMHO

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TitanBlue said:
Why would you have a problem if all you did was a simple leveling kit. Here is a series of questions, may lead to a solution. Just a brainstorming approach...What exact part is moving?

What is each end of it attached to?

How much movement is there?

How much clearance is there?

What has to stop allowing movement?

Can you see the point of impact?

Have you called Greg at PRGproducts? I'd bet he has a solid answer to what the problem really is.

We do have problem with axle wrap, it can be solved with better springs, or traction bars.

This should be a relatively easy problem to solve. Is the place you bought from, an online seller? What do they think the cause is?

This has to boil down to just a few things in a most general sense; axle moving, U-Joint failures, broken bolts allowing some frame member to move, or excessive bearing playin the trans tailend, etc. It should be visable if you place it up on a rack and shake it down. Maybe it can be put on a frame lift and have the engine accellerated to see the movement?
1. the end that is hitting is the end that is attached to the transfer case.
2. Enough movement from where the driveshaft normally rests to the undercarriage of the truck itself. id say about 2.5 inches.
3. not sure on that one
4. or this one
5. yes i can see the point of impact, the ujoints are rounded out and you can see the damage on the undercarriage

The leveling kit was purchased from NCD Customs online, I have spoken to a Gary Farrell there. He says he has no idea what the cause might be but there is no way the leveling kit could cause it because the kit deals with the front suspension and not the driveline.

I have pictures of the damage, but they're aren't on this computer when i can get on mine later i will upload them on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts