Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me if, I had a rear installed at the dealer in aug 2009, (before I bought my truck) and the sticker on the rear has a date of June 2009 is it a updated part?poss a 2008 rear? Sticker has Dana part #6746. Also part #2006746 also DSN#1210906240218 and date 6-25-2009 any info would help thanks
(2005 Titan 4x4 B-tow with E-locker)

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Yeah its the newest version.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I shouldn't have any problem with the spider gears? So can I still install a truetrac if I have the updated rear? I was told they changed the rear with the new update, and the truetrac won't fit? Does the 2008 and up T have diff lock?

At least The dealer installed the vent tube, wait it wouldn't vent it was full of crap!! They never checked to see if it worked.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
So, I shouldn't have any problem with the spider gears? So can I still install a truetrac if I have the updated rear? I was told they changed the rear with the new update, and the truetrac won't fit? Does the 2008 and up T have diff lock?
Correct, it will have the 4-gear spider which is stronger.

If your truck came with the e-locker, then they should have replaced it with the same. And you are correct, the trutrac will not fit the '08+ axles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I pul the rear cover off and find 4 spider gears then it is an 08? So the 04-07 have 2 spider gears?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The change from 2 Spider Gears to 4, was made in the early/mid of 2006 while still on the older axle design. The Covers were changed from a smooth design to a Cast Aluminum Finned Design when this occurred in production. For awhile, Nissan would install a new updated Diff and Finned Cover on failed units on 2004-2006 Titans, then began replacing whole 2006 axle assemblies instead. The Finned Cover is a telltale sign of the Mid 2006+ Production or Dealer Updated, though not absolute proof... Many have simply bought Finned Covers and put them on older axles to increase cooling.

Once the 2008 Axle design went into production, that became the replacement unit for all Titans.

The 2008 Axle has larger diameter axle shaft and different number of axle splines, thus not compatible with True Trac. But exterior of the 2008 Axle Assembly is a direct bolt up on older Titans, such as mine.

ARB makes an Air Locker for 2008.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2006746 stamped also on the passenger side of my 05 SE Off Road T. So that means it is the newer 08 axle also? It Does have the finned cover. I took over off to inspect spiders, but could not see much without removing e locker. I'm trying to find where the vent is located, as I understand that was moved also on the 08 axle, correct? If I have larger 08 axles, do I have to order different axle bearings and seals? Mine are leaking all over the e brake shoes. Pinion seal is bad too, so which year seal, crush sleeve and nut do I replaced with? Im new 3rd owner and no idea what has been done to the truck at 212k. Thanks!

DSN 1210807098211 and BOM 2006746

I thought ring and pinion looked good. Lash I measured was 0.003" with driveshaft and wheels installed.

Is that two spider shafts, so new 4 spider diff?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts