Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!!

I am new to the forums and just wanted to say hello! I purchased a 2005 Titan LE 4x4 a couple months ago and have since then saved up enough money for some upgrades.

Lift: I came across PRG Products - Greg through doing research on these forums. He has been great to work with! I bought the Procomp Radflo kit with the upgraded Radflo rear shocks. I also bought the PRG Offroad traction bars. Again, Greg was awesome to work with and was a blast to talk to on the phone!

Tires/Rims: The truck came with Toyo MT 33's on 20 inch rims... I will keep these for now because they still have some good tread left. Any suggestions on some upgrades in the future? I'm thinking 35's will fit nicely under the lift. Pro Comp or Toyo again?

Performance: The truck came with a K&N CAI as well as a Magna Flow exhaust. I'm not sure what series exhaust but it was with the truck so I'm not complaining. I'm really wanting to buy the Bully Dog Triple Dog GT. I have read some great things about this programmer.

Truck use: I live in Utah and there is a lot of off roading to be done! 30 minutes from me there is a large chunk of public land that people go to year round. After talking to Greg I think I am set on the suspension side of things. I am more looking for performance upgrades. I have the CAI and Exhaust and will be adding the Programmer soon... any other suggestions?

I'm also open to brake, drivetrain, etc... suggestions! Thanks for providing a great forum to discuss the kick *** Titan!

Oh it was also nice to find out the previous owner runs an oil change shop so only synthetic has gone through the truck. Current mileage is 70,000. I am thinking about new tranny fluid and rear diff fluid just to be safe... thanks again to all the members for any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have the same truck as you with the same miles. No complaints about the truck. Looks like you have done your homework and if you are working with Greg you can't go wrong. My only suggestion is if you are going with 35's and keeping the same gears you want to make sure you have the BT with the 3.36 gears.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. I have the same truck as you with the same miles. No complaints about the truck. Looks like you have done your homework and if you are working with Greg you can't go wrong. My only suggestion is if you are going with 35's and keeping the same gears you want to make sure you have the BT with the 3.36 gears.
I'm new to the lingo but I'm guessing that is the rear diff with that gear ratio? I've never heard the term "BT" used before... I've heard pumpkin, rear diff, etc... but not BT?

I've read about people putting on new headers but shops charge a lot for that.

Also, to go along with defects in the truck... the previous owner bought it in 2006 when it was a year old. He replaced the rear axle so I guess that is good/bad? Other than that he kept normal maintenance with synthetic everything and took very good care of it. I replaced the front brake pads but other than that it has been great!

·
Registered
39 Posts
BT = Big Tow package.

It gave the lower 3.36 gearing, to aid in towing. Which would also aid with larger tires too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next dumb question... to find if it is the BT package I'm guessing just check the VIN? I guess I could also ask the previous owner as he is the manager of a local oil change shop... The truck does have the locking rear diff as well as the tow button next to the locking rear diff button... Is it necessary to have the BT package to run larger tires? I see a lot of Titans with 35's so am I to assume that they are all the BT packages? Just new and wanting to learn as much as possible!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it does have big *** mirrors which are split in half... Top half is the normal mirror and the bottom is a tow mirror. There are also stickers on the rear that say 4x4 Off Road no idea if that helps... It does have a tranny temp gauge... guess I got lucky with the BT package then lol? Well that is a nice relief... 35's should be nice then :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! He didn't make any big changes... he kept the fluids checked and replaced on time... took very good care of it... Plus I talked him into giving me a discount on oil changes at his shop! The only thing he said he did was replace the rear axle when he first got it... he towed a small trailer with dirt bikes on it but that is about it. Again, I guess I got lucky with the BT package! when I get the lift on I will have to take some pictures!

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Sounds like you are pretty set. I would go toyo mt's or nitto trail grappler mt's in a 35 12.5 20 down the road. Good luck

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
dang, its nice when a new guy comes on and gives us details about his truck. I'd go with 35's pro comp tires. if you can...those were my favorite, over toyo and nittos. at least the all terrains, which is all i had. We need some pictures!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lift is being put on this Thursday... 6'' procomp with Radflo internal res front coilovers and Radflo piggy backs in the rear... also some Bushwhacker pocket style flares in black. I'm going for a black/white theme. Greg at PRG had the front springs powdercoated black so that should look mean :D

Also... some info on the rear diff... I was told the Detroit Tru Trac was a nice upgrade!

Differential cover looks good: Nissan Titan Dana 44 High Capacity Differential Cover-RH2

Detroit Tru Trac: Detroit TrueTrac Differential-RH2

I'm thinking these are the correct ones?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts