Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Ive spent some time searching and reading up. I have a 2006 titan with the crap brakes lol. And its time for new rotors. Ive been reading up on alot of threads but couldnt seem to find what i was looking for.

Ive read up on the upgrade to 08 brakes and it seems like its alot of parts that i will have to purchase from dealer. For the people who have did the upgrade....approx how much did you spend on parts? Ill be getting them done from a brake shop so i have to also add in labor. which is why im trying to see if what is more cost effective.

my other option is just buying frozen rotors and replacing them. Do i need to buy a different set of calipers? which ones would i buy which are an upgrade to my stock. i drive my truck alot so im looking for something which will last awhile and isn't gonna cost an arm and a leg to maintain/replace.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you go with frozen rotors they suggest the Hawk LTS pads to go with their rotors on a Titan. You do not have to change anything to do with the caliper, unless you want to throw caliper rebuild kits on their while you have it all apart.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I also have the Frozen Rotor's "slotted" cryo rotor's w/ Hawk LTS pad's. I've never driven an '08+ Titan so i don't know what the difference would be, but i do recommend FR "cryo" rotor's, i think they do make a difference in wear! :)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are the frozen rotors bigger then my 06 OEM ones?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Online, they want around $250 for a single new unloaded oem 2008 caliper. I can buy a rebuilt 2008 caliper for $110 at my local NAPA, after deducting the core charge.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
are the frozen rotors bigger then my 06 OEM ones?
They are the same size rotor's, just way better quality. :)

·
Premium Member
15,662 Posts
dude... why are you letting a shop do it? i changed my rotors and pads in the garage by myself.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Getting ready to do the 08 upgrade myself. Bought Hawk LTS pads from autobarn. Discount code SPRINGTEN gets you free shipping and 10% off this month. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think my pads need replacing soon. Im not sure if my rotors need changing. thinking about doing the 08' upgrade but I would like a detailed parts list of whats needed before I go forward with it.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I think my pads need replacing soon. Im not sure if my rotors need changing. thinking about doing the 08' upgrade but I would like a detailed parts list of whats needed before I go forward with it.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/72018-brake-upgrade-using-08-parts-pics.html

You have to read several pages deep to get to the part where they figure out they need spacer rings to center the bigger 2008 rotors on the smaller 2004-2007 hubs.

·
Registered
645 Posts
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/72018-brake-upgrade-using-08-parts-pics.html

You have to read several pages deep to get to the part where they figure out they need spacer rings to center the bigger 2008 rotors on the smaller 2004-2007 hubs.
I just picked up the spacer rings, someone posted a link to an online store here. I figure if i ever do decide to do this upgrade, i'll need em and I think they said that they weren't going to produce anymore. So i'm not sure where you can buy them now

·
Registered
52 Posts
i just bought regular rotors nothing fancy bought the brake calipers from auto zone comes with pads and mounting bracket and hardware i'm in for around 500.00 i have spent that much on rotors hope this work's i guess i will find out

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Cool! Let u know how they feel once you get them installed & burnished in.

I'm still LOVING my Frozen Rotors & Hawk LTS Pads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 2006 4x4.So let me get this right.If I go to a larger rotor,350 instead of stock I have to change calipers or not? I see that Frozen Rotors kit has calipers,rotors,pads,and extended brake lines.And what’s the talk about spacers for my hubs?
Is there no way to avoid spending $1K to get better brakes?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just me, but I put the Power Stop kit (#2442) that includes brakes pads and rotors (drilled/slotted) on my '04 and they made a difference. Two things you got to remember is clean the rotor with brake cleaner before installing and seat the pads. (40 mph and slam on the brakes 3 times in a row to get them hot). Prior to that it felt like i was getting pushed by my trailers when trying to stop.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’m not sure that it’s worth the investment to get the Frozen Rotor upgrades for $1K I love the truck but it is 14 years old
Where do you get the parts you mentioned?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Your very best budget option is to search for the brake upgrade thread here which discusses using the early Armada disks and bigger (08.5-up) calipers on your existing hubs. Turns out to be effectively a rotors, calipers, and pads job, with a few supporting pieces easily sourced from a boneyard or online parts house. Benefit is, it uses all factory parts, so availability is easy at any parts store, as long as you know which year Armada rotors you need when the time comes to replace them.

I was feeling charitable, so here is the thread: 08+ Brake Upgrade Parts Explained - No Spacers Needed

Reactions: FlawleZ
1 - 18 of 18 Posts