Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Titan Pro-4x with RF system. I am looking to install a new touch screen head unit. I would like to try and keep the OEM microphone and XM antenna. Is this possible to do?

I understand that I need to get a new XM tuner. However these come with an antenna. I would like to keep it as stock looking as possible. Can't I just use the antenna that is already on the truck?

Same goes with the microphone that is located in the headliner panel. If I can't use OEM mic, is there a way to wire the new mic where the old one was without running the wiring from the head unit all the way into the headliner?

·
Registered
2014 Titan Pro4X Crew Cab
7 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I have a 2014 Pro-4x CC with RF system. From what I know of audio/head units, you should be able to keep the antenna and the mic. They are simply inputs to the headunit. Worst case scenario, somehow the connectors are different (shouldn't be) and you would have to splice or solder the wires for the connectors on the headunit that you purchase. However, connectors for these components in automobile audio are standard across the industry and are plug and play. There are also adapters so that you can utilize your steering wheel controls.

I'm wanting all the same features that I have now in a new device. My stock headunit has been doing weird things. The features that I am wanting is not cheap though, so weighing options.

Best wishes,
Yeti

·
Registered
2010 Pro-4X
12 Posts
From what I have found in my research, the bluetooth system is separate from the head unit. Not sure that the wiring is there to have the mic connect up to the new HU. The couple of times that I used the bluetooth in the truck before shutting it off completely, people were having trouble hearing me, so either my mic is crap or the location isn't the best. If you have the time and patience, I would recommend running a new mic to the existing location if you're that set on keeping it looking stock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I have found in my research, the bluetooth system is separate from the head unit. Not sure that the wiring is there to have the mic connect up to the new HU. The couple of times that I used the bluetooth in the truck before shutting it off completely, people were having trouble hearing me, so either my mic is crap or the location isn't the best. If you have the time and patience, I would recommend running a new mic to the existing location if you're that set on keeping it looking stock.
Appreciate the feed back. Yes the mic on a bluetooth system now that you say that. I'll have to run the new mic wiring to where the old one is.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Titan SV 4x4 SWB
3 Posts
Appreciate the feed back. Yes the mic on a bluetooth system now that you say that. I'll have to run the new mic wiring to where the old one is.
How successful were you at this project? were you able to use the factory mic or did you have to use the mic that came the HU? If so, how challenging was it to run the Mic to the factory location above the rearview mirror?

Getting ready to tackle this on my 2012 SV with RF system. Got the HU installed (Sony XAV-AX3250) with no issues but had to stop at the mic and come back to it with the hopes that I could use the original, but I've seen mostly posts that say they end up not using it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How successful were you at this project? were you able to use the factory mic or did you have to use the mic that came the HU? If so, how challenging was it to run the Mic to the factory location above the rearview mirror?

Getting ready to tackle this on my 2012 SV with RF system. Got the HU installed (Sony XAV-AX3250) with no issues but had to stop at the mic and come back to it with the hopes that I could use the original, but I've seen mostly posts that say they end up not using it

Everything turned out pretty good. I was not able to use the stock mic. Replaced it with the one that came with the unit. Running the wire wasn't to bad. Had to drop the overhead counsel in the headliner, and I took of the plastic piece on the side of the windshield where the passenger grab handle is. This gave me enough room to run the wire under the headliner without dropping it. Then ran the wire behind the glove box to the unit.

Also was able to use the stock XM antenna. The wire runs down the driver side plastic piece between the windshield and door. Then down behind the steering wheel. You can get access to this spot going behind the pedals. Its a tight area and hard to work in but can be done. Just unplug the antenna (has a pink connector) from the factory XM tuner, then plug it into the new XM tuner. You'll have to mount the new XM tuner in this general area which is tricky but again can be done. Hardest part about doing this is the terrible access to this area. Laid on my back on the drivers floor board and acting like I did yoga or something.

The thing that came out worst in the whole upgrade was the new head unit bezel. Just didn't fit like the stock one did. Has small gaps around it.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Titan SV 4x4 SWB
3 Posts
Everything turned out pretty good. I was not able to use the stock mic. Replaced it with the one that came with the unit. Running the wire wasn't to bad. Had to drop the overhead counsel in the headliner, and I took of the plastic piece on the side of the windshield where the passenger grab handle is. This gave me enough room to run the wire under the headliner without dropping it. Then ran the wire behind the glove box to the unit.

Also was able to use the stock XM antenna. The wire runs down the driver side plastic piece between the windshield and door. Then down behind the steering wheel. You can get access to this spot going behind the pedals. Its a tight area and hard to work in but can be done. Just unplug the antenna (has a pink connector) from the factory XM tuner, then plug it into the new XM tuner. You'll have to mount the new XM tuner in this general area which is tricky but again can be done. Hardest part about doing this is the terrible access to this area. Laid on my back on the drivers floor board and acting like I did yoga or something.

The thing that came out worst in the whole upgrade was the new head unit bezel. Just didn't fit like the stock one did. Has small gaps around it.
Thank you! Yea, before I saw your response I also found that popping the mic housing cover was not as hard as I thought and also ended up running the included microphone from there. Ran a lot smoother than I thought it would!
Same on the bezel cover, it simply does not line up as well but all things considered it looks as good as it’s gonna get. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts