Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a choice of just getting the cable from uprev or go to an uprev authorized tuner to get the titan dyno tuned.

Intec Racing in seattle quoted me $700 for the flash and up to 2 hours on the dyno. i will be in the area this weekend and i am seriously considering it.

is there anything i should know before hand? i assume dyno tuning is better than the other option. what octane tune? i usually tank up with 87, should i go near empty and get the highest for the tune?

the guy said the hp and torque gain is around 10-20 throughout the whole rpm band. i thought it was more than that.

any advice will be helpful, as i need to let him know if i am going to do it.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The going rate in SoCal is close to what uprev cost, around $500-550.

Popular tunes are for 87, 91 & 93 octane, which is relative to what is offered at your local pumps. The general rule is the higher the octane tune the more you'll gain.

Uprev is the only choice for headers and above.

Reactions: bj2007 and b2sdad

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
In Pa. the going rate is five flashes and two hours on the dyno = $525.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what should i do about the gas used for the tuning?
i think i will go with the stock, economy and performance maps..to get the best possible tune, should i go nearly empty of my 87 and then refuel with the 91 or 92 we have here?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
i would if i was you

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
what should i do about the gas used for the tuning?
i think i will go with the stock, economy and performance maps..to get the best possible tune, should i go nearly empty of my 87 and then refuel with the 91 or 92 we have here?
get tuned w/ 91 or 92

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what are the advantages of having a shop do the uprev vs. me getting the osiris standard and doing it myself?
$700 seems like a lot and i don't even get the cable.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
what are the advantages of having a shop do the uprev vs. me getting the osiris standard and doing it myself?
$700 seems like a lot and i don't even get the cable.
I wouldn't pay more than what uprev charges.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just got my shorttubes and cats and banks catback on. All I have is a BDPP. i love it! Thats very expensive fkr only 20 hp!? /: I was told to uprev my t, but idk if its much difference.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
$700 is too much for that. $500 in FL. and that was dyno tuned.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the advertised price is $750, but the guy said he'd knock $50 off.
after checking out some threads, i found that people are paying $500 or so.
i just may get the cable from uprev and do the e-tunes thing. i'd prefer to have the cable for any future significant mods and save a couple of hundred bucks. i will still go check intec racing out today, maybe they'll cut me another deal. who knows.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You can check out some dealer sites and get their prices and show your place that they are $200+ over what everyone else is charging.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I got tuned for 93 only my first time. When I went back I had him tune it for 87 which is what I always use then made him make a map for 91/93 by just advancing the timing a little bit. That's just what I did since the only time I used 91 is when I went to the track or sand drags. I still made huge power on 87 on the dyno and it feels just as fast on the butt dyno.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i went to Intec Racing and proceeded to have them start. they wanted to look at the spark plugs before performing the tune. a few of the plugs were on the verge of failing and showing signs of detonation. i opted to have them replace all 8. i had tanked up on 87 octane before i set out on the road trip. i was very disappointed in the first run results of 242hp, even after the headers, catback and cai. those 3 things should be good for at least 25hp at the minimum. that means i only had like 217hp before the mods. i was under the impression that stock rwhp was in the 255-265 range.

the tuner said that could be attributed to the engine running lean with 87 octane and the new cai. when he finished up, he showed me the graphs and i was shocked in a bad way, it showed 270hp / 335 torque for the 91 octane map and 259 for the economy map. the economy map is a modified stock map to compensate for running 87 octane. if i remember right, he said 87 is not good for these engines, because the factory sets the A/F ratio to 14.7 with no room to play with. my intial A/F ratio was 15.2-15.9

before i left, they handed me a print out of the final run and those numbers did not match what he showed me. the final run was 299hp / 380 torque and that put my mind at ease quite a bit. but, i still think it should be a little bit more, unless there is a power loss somewhere. he must of showed me the 3rd run results. he also said that i will gain 5-10hp when i use the 91 oct. map with the proper gas.

i have to wait awhile before i get to see what i gained, gotta burn that 87 first. can't wait to try it.

i had him remove the WOT restriction on the economy tune and i felt the smoother and faster acceleration.

he recommends that i don't even use the stock map for daily use, as it will lean out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is that even worth it!? ...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm in the process of replacing the gas with premium.
on the economy map, it has a better idle in sound and feel...it was pretty rough feeling up to 40, but it's nice and smooth now.
the spark plugs definitely needed to be replaced. the engine had to be tuned, because it was seriously on the lean side.

the jury is still out on the power map. i sure do hope it was worth it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hmm.. ok. It seems worth it to get it running as clean and smoothly as possible. I got JBA shorttubes deleted 2 cats and put in 2 hi flows.. so only running 2 cats, and put in a 3 inch banks catback. I have a BDPP and its running pretty damn good on that. I still do not know.. /:

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Hmm.. ok. It seems worth it to get it running as clean and smoothly as possible. I got JBA shorttubes deleted 2 cats and put in 2 hi flows.. so only running 2 cats, and put in a 3 inch banks catback. I have a BDPP and its running pretty damn good on that. I still do not know.. /:
It'll be worth it... and later on as you continue to install performance mods, ie 90mm TB & JWT Cams... get the E tune pack for 50 bucks and get'r retuned... ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeah.. thatl be sick. Got to do some more saving first!

1 - 20 of 148 Posts