Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok after reading some of the old threads I've got a few more questions. I ordered my Doug Thorley Long tubes :clap:. My plan is to get uprev to keep me from running too lean until I can get my other exhaust changes (waiting on Berks).

I'm looking for good overall performance in my maps, but I'm not looking for track tunes or 93 octain tunes (I drove 35k miles last year in my T....lol).

I also would like a Tow/Haul tune. Also for those of you running this, do you still use your tow/haul button when running an uprev tow map?

other tune suggestions?

·
Registered
924 Posts
You can choose up to 5 maps with Uprev, it is all up too what your maps are, you can have one of your maps be strictly for towing with whatever octane number you want. For instance, I have 5 maps, 1. stock tune/economy 2. 87 octane tune 3. 89 Octane 4. 93 octane and 5 is valet map, it wont rev past 2k and not go faster than 50mph. Just remember, after installing your headers, you will have to reset your ECU for the new mods, then drive about 100-200 miles for the ECU to be adjusted to the headers then start your data logging, and send those logs to Uprev for them to see where you are at with your AFR, calculated fuel, and fuel curve.

Reactions: who-dat

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do any of you have a HWY tune that is less performance more grocery getter for trips and such?

I plan to keep all my tunes to 87 octane.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My 1st map is a stock map tweaked a bit, to get a better gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I just finished installing my Doug Thorley headers this evening with Magnaflow High Flow cats and overall the install went pretty well. I found that both my passenger and driver side manifolds were cracked pretty bad. Glad to have those out of there. I ran the truck for about 15 minutes with the stock ecu setup to make sure i wasn't getting any codes. No codes, so i flashed the ECU with the Uprev base maps and took the truck out for a drive :):) Truck sounds awesome and i'm very impressed with how it drives. Looking forward to the tuned maps from Uprev for sure.

Here's what i got from Uprev for the 5 maps:

1. Anti theft (limit of 1250RPM, 1MPH)
2. Stock
3. Economy map (13.25AFR targets, 4400RPM rev limit)
4. 87 octane Tuned Map
5. 91 octane Tuned Map

I'm now wondering about the "Tow Mode" button as well. I never used it before and always just put the truck in 4. I've read all that button does is change shift points between 1-2 and 2-3. Do the Uprev tunes have any ability to change shift points? I'm just wondering if i want to do a Towing map that would be different than the 87 octane performance tune. Unless i can change the shift points, i don't see how it would change anything.

As far as data logging goes, it sounds like i need to wait a little bit before i do that? Uprev tells you to reset the "learned fuel settings" before you do the runs, so "that way your logs are running as close to the tune as possible without the ECU having done any adjustments of it’s own." - From the user guide. I was planning to do all my tuning tomorrow, but won't have 100+ miles on the install.

Since i have multiple maps, i would need to do logging on maps 2-5 to get data for each of these, correct? So that would mean 8 or so 0-60 runs, 2 for each map, and a round of around town driving on each map per the user guide.

I'm new to this whole uprev thing as well. Thought i'd chime in with my plan so far and a few questions of my own.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Congrat's on the new header's!

The "Tow Mode" button doesn't help at all with shift point's if your trying to haul ***.

Yes, let it learn for at least 100 miles before you start data logging. Drop the truck into 3 & do a couple 0-60 pull's, that will speed up the learning process.

Do the "learned fuel tables reset" once before you are ready to data log.

I would say (3) 0-60 run's in each map. Don't do them all back to back. Let the truck cool down by driving around for about 15 minutes after a couple run's.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
You do not have to wait to datalog. All you have to do is:
- Switch to your highest map, 91 tune then do the following right before you datalog. clear your fuel settings and then do 6 to 7 0to60 mph runs and then send the logs to Uprev.

It only takes 5 to 6 runs for your ECU to learn the new fuel settings.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Thanks gweasel77! Like i said, the install went really smooth and honestly was really not as bad as i thought it would be. Overall from pulling the truck in to backing the truck out of the garage i think we spent 16 hrs total with 3 guys. That includes the time to fab up and weld new B-pipe setup with the MF cats. I think it definitely helps to have the right tools for the job. Between my buddy and I, we had just about every single Craftsman tool at our disposal including flare wrenches, crows feet, stubby's and ratcheting wrenches. I soaked everything the night before in PB Blaster and didn't break any bolts besides those stupid heat shield bolts. The truck sounds friggin awesome! No rasp, just pure grunt. I'm glad i got the big MF cats. It even seemed to get rid of that 1600 rpm droan that the JBA catback had before.

I learned early on with the truck that the tow mode button was useless. I always just manually shift it when towing anything decent and then just leave it in 4 to keep it out of OD. Sounds like it'll be the same thing with Uprev as well. Any thoughts on a "Towing Map"? I'm just wondering if i'd have anything be different. I was planning to just use the 87 performance tune when i tow.

Thanks for the tips on tuning. I will wait a while and let the truck get used to the headers. I also gotta wait for a dry day as it's been pouring in seattle non-stop. No chance i can get a clean launch on a day like today anyway.

Layer1, so there's really no need to go through and data log on each map? Just run on the highest performance map and Jared can tune the rest from there?

Thanks!

Oh, and N2MyWake, here are the threads i found useful for the install if you haven't already seen these:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/88662-header-installation-how.html

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...ns/93408-dt-header-installation-progress.html

Let me know if you have any questions on the install!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Good to hear! I remember exited i was when i first got my header's installed! I still drive around w/o the radio on, just to hear the it ROAR! :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and N2MyWake, here are the threads i found useful for the install if you haven't already seen these:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/88662-header-installation-how.html

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...ns/93408-dt-header-installation-progress.html

Let me know if you have any questions on the install!
Oh I've read them! :bangit: and every other one I could find. My headers arrived Christmas Eve, they look sweet! I'm going to have a local guy do the install for me, I just don't have the resources here where I live to bite this one off.

I hope to order my uprev tomorrow (and my magnaflow muffler and flowmaster Y). Once the Berks come in I'll be golden.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
That's going to be a hell of a nice setup! It's going to be like driving a totally different truck! In a good way... :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Headers sitting here in the Living room, flowmaster Y ordered today, 22" Magnaflow Muffler ordered today. Need to get uprev cable ordered today. Header install scheduled for Monday, Shocks will be here tomorrow, need to decide on tires and then i can move on to something else.... (until the berks come in...) LOL

·
Registered
924 Posts
To clear your learned fuel settings, start your truck up, disconnect your MAF sensor, let the engine almost die, your SES light will turn on, turn the truck off, connect uprev, clear the code, and your fuel consumption settings and your ecu will be reset. Drive the truck normally for about 100-200 miles, then begin your data logs, make sure you data log every map, so that all of them can be looked at to see where your AFR are at, and can be tweaked.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Why would you need to do all that??? You just go to the Cipher Main Menu & select "Reset Learned Fuel Tables" that's it, then go data log.

Reactions: N2MyWake

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Why would you need to do all that??? You just go to the Cipher Main Menu & select "Reset Learned Fuel Tables" that's it, then go data log.
Ditto. I'd recommend N2MyWake, that you spend a lot of time just going through the Uprev Cipher software and looking through all the functionality it has. Get familiar with where things are, what's available, and definitely read the manual cover to cover. Pretty sweet software!

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I'm glad i got the big MF cats. It even seemed to get rid of that 1600 rpm droan that the JBA catback had before.
Correction, i must have been smoking crack or something when i posted this because the drone at 1600-1800 is about 10x worse than before the LT's. It's driving me bat sh** crazy because that's pretty much the cruising RPM i'm at most of the time. I'm looking into further exhaust modifications and/or dynamating the floor and rear wall. Been thinking about doing that for a while anyway. I've heard removing the rear portion of the tailpipe on the JBA makes a big difference, so i may do that. I like the look of the exhaust and would rather not cut that off.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
definitely read the manual cover to cover
I never got a manual? :)

i must have been smoking crack or something when i posted this because the drone at 1600-1800 is about 10x worse than before the LT's
Some dynamat on the rear cab wall @ floor will help. Also you might want to think about welding in a resonator before your muffler or switching muffler's. Mine has the drone too, right around 1900rpm's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts