Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here do uprev tunes on flex fuel that will help me with a basic tune so I don’t have to spend 100s on it till I am done with headers and all right now I just want to get a little more with a stock truck when I get headers and exhaust done I will pay and have it dyno tuned

·
Registered
67 Posts
Doesn't work that way. UpRev tuner is married to one vehicle, like about every other tuner on the market.
Unless someone has purchased multiple licenses, but those cost hundreds too.

·
Vendor
1,924 Posts
Every Uprev tune is done custom for the vehicle being tuned, there are no basic/preset/generic tunes. A big portion of the initial cost is the purchase of the license, once you have that future retunes are much cheaper

·
Vendor
1,924 Posts
I know because they have to start somewhere
We start with the stock tune and build each tune based on our experience tuning these trucks. No competent tuner is going to give you one for free, and I would be cautious flashing your truck with a tune of unknown origins... you can do serious damage with Uprev if you don't know what you're doing

·
Premium Member
68,389 Posts
Come on Seymore4! Everyone knows you don't know squat about our trucks, even the noobs!! 😉

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And it don’t have to be free I am willing to pay something for it I just don’t want to pay 200 or 300 now and after headers and exhaust I don’t have time to put that on right now and I am undecided on exhaust I like the way the nismo one looks but I don’t want it to sound like ****

·
Premium Member
68,389 Posts
Tuning doesn't offer a "lay away plan"...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in the same situation. Headers in the garage ready to go on. Already flashed the ECU, Tuner comes with a base map, which was pretty close out of the box. Well actually wasn't in the box but downloadable based on my ROM. Read the Nissan Tuning Guide from Uprev. It will get you in the right direction. Set up the logger and see how its running. Worse case, you can Flash back to stock. I guess you could theoretically damage the engine, but if its that far off, it won't run very good. I'm not saying go do some burnouts. Start slow, warm it up and watch the fuel correction. If its adding or subtracting 10% isn't pretty, but won't hurt anything. Then with the data logging going, drive it around the block and see if its hitting targets and how much correction its adding. As soon as you feel its safe to drive you start with MAF curve. Its explained in the Guide, but the FFV Rom will fight you. I am not a Pro Tuner but have 2 Nissans with Uprev and a Bronco Megasquirt project. I can tell you its not as scary as it looks, I can expand on my experience if you like.

People used to swap carburetors with no knowledge of how to jet them and set the timing "by ear" and engines weren't exploding all over the place. Now we use Laptops and its a black art that only chosen can tune. I have jetted carburetors way back without a wideband AFR and can tell you the laptop is much easier and much more precise.

With a systematic approach you may be happy with a road tune. Dyno is nice for setting the timing but most shops only have inertia dynos that are only really tuning wide open throttle acceleration. As a percentage, I spend very little of my day at full throttle. Also, running 87 octane, the VK56 is going to be knock limited. In other words, you can't really put too much timing(within reason) or it will knock. You can see that in your logs. If you see knock, pull timing in those cells where it knocks. There is also info on the Uprev site about how to build a listening device to hear the knock. Until you get the turbo the datalogging should be fine.

And lastly, It will run on headers without a tune, just not awesome. My Armada was getting 11 MPG until I got it tuned but was driveable. My Titan with the Base Tune from Uprev runs better than My Armada did with headers and no tune. If you already invested in the tuner I would suggest you become the tuner. Why pay someone every time you want to make a change? I have different goals for my Titan, I have cracked manifolds so I am putting on headers but I drive long distance for work. I'm more interested in tweaking the tune for better MPG as well as power.

Don't be discouraged. Everyone will tell you it can't be done because they are afraid to try.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Of course you can spend hours and hours learning how to tune yourself. The question comes down to how much of your own time is it worth? If you think you are going to keep tuning or tune other vehicles then dig in. If not then have someone else do it for you.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
So you have the tuner version, but you want someone else's base tune? When you buy the tuner version they give you a base ROM and a back to stock ROM. Otherwise you're spending $150 for 3 e-tunes.

If you have the tuner version it's understood that you do your own tuning and don't require the e-tuning.

·
Vendor
1,924 Posts
The base rom you get with the tuner version is 100% stock settings for your specific ECU; you are expected to make any changes you need yourself.

Regardless of who does the tuning, etune files are locked and you are unable to see or manipulate them in any way yourself.

Tuning isn't magic, with enough time and practice (and WILL to learn) sure anyone can do it. No one is saying its impossible to do it yourself

·
Registered
15 Posts
That was my original point. if you spend $775 for the tuner suite, I assume you want to tune. I say even better on a stock tune with stock exhaust. Give you time to learn on a Map 2 - 5 and get familiar. But if learning isn't your goal, by all means pay a professional. I paid for my first tune and was very happy with the results. It takes time to learn no doubt. Kinda like therapy for me. I enjoy the process as much as the results. I'll admit the Flex fuel thing is a challenge, but I think I got it figured out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in the same situation. Headers in the garage ready to go on. Already flashed the ECU, Tuner comes with a base map, which was pretty close out of the box. Well actually wasn't in the box but downloadable based on my ROM. Read the Nissan Tuning Guide from Uprev. It will get you in the right direction. Set up the logger and see how its running. Worse case, you can Flash back to stock. I guess you could theoretically damage the engine, but if its that far off, it won't run very good. I'm not saying go do some burnouts. Start slow, warm it up and watch the fuel correction. If its adding or subtracting 10% isn't pretty, but won't hurt anything. Then with the data logging going, drive it around the block and see if its hitting targets and how much correction its adding. As soon as you feel its safe to drive you start with MAF curve. Its explained in the Guide, but the FFV Rom will fight you. I am not a Pro Tuner but have 2 Nissans with Uprev and a Bronco Megasquirt project. I can tell you its not as scary as it looks, I can expand on my experience if you like.

People used to swap carburetors with no knowledge of how to jet them and set the timing "by ear" and engines weren't exploding all over the place. Now we use Laptops and its a black art that only chosen can tune. I have jetted carburetors way back without a wideband AFR and can tell you the laptop is much easier and much more precise.

With a systematic approach you may be happy with a road tune. Dyno is nice for setting the timing but most shops only have inertia dynos that are only really tuning wide open throttle acceleration. As a percentage, I spend very little of my day at full throttle. Also, running 87 octane, the VK56 is going to be knock limited. In other words, you can't really put too much timing(within reason) or it will knock. You can see that in your logs. If you see knock, pull timing in those cells where it knocks. There is also info on the Uprev site about how to build a listening device to hear the knock. Until you get the turbo the datalogging should be fine.

And lastly, It will run on headers without a tune, just not awesome. My Armada was getting 11 MPG until I got it tuned but was driveable. My Titan with the Base Tune from Uprev runs better than My Armada did with headers and no tune. If you already invested in the tuner I would suggest you become the tuner. Why pay someone every time you want to make a change? I have different goals for my Titan, I have cracked manifolds so I am putting on headers but I drive long distance for work. I'm more interested in tweaking the tune for better MPG as well as power.

Don't be discouraged. Everyone will tell you it can't be done because they are afraid to try.
Finally some real information thank you

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wait, what blasphemy is going on here? LOL

I'm pretty sure just like a programming language, that @seymore4 isn't the ONLY person doing tunes out there. Just REALLY good at his craft, like anyone else that does a specific job for a while.

I am almost done collecting the necessary items for my header install, and I DEFINITELY will contact @seymore4 to get my tunes done. And i'm usually down for F"N up my shiznit in a second, it's how you learn. But, from everything I've read here and across the interwebs, that dude is worth the $$$ and time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A 2 poster & a 4 poster arguing with Seymore about UpRev. Are pigs flying somewhere??
I am not arguing with any one I know people’s time is worth money I just ask for someone to put me in the right direction if they can I want to do it myself when it is time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am not arguing with any one I know people’s time is worth money I just ask for someone to put me in the right direction if they can I want to do it myself when it is time.
I think to get back on track here, i think what you're looking for is maybe the route of a bullydog, etc tuner to just tune the basics. But it will be up to for the research and scouring the interwebs on the Flex Fuel, I have no clue about that. I'm sure it can't be much different tho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have uprev already and will pay for tunes I just want a staring point to learn from and not mess anything up in the process I know people that do it for a living will be faster and better at tuning than I will be I have a “friend”that tunes LS Chevys that can do it basically with his eyes closed but he told me he has not tuned a flex Nissan Titan his shop does Dyno tunes he said he would do my truck for 300 to 400 but I want all mods on it before I do that

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have uprev already and will pay for tunes I just want a staring point to learn from and not mess anything up in the process I know people that do it for a living will be faster and better at tuning than I will be I have a “friend”that tunes LS Chevys that can do it basically with his eyes closed but he told me he has not tuned a flex Nissan Titan his shop does Dyno tunes he said he would do my truck for 300 to 400 but I want all mods on it before I do that
Well, with that info. ALready having the equipment, like i have it already also, they will probably work with you on that. Just give them an email and start the convo, [email protected] . Joe seems pretty cool from everything i've read here and other places. Start there with someone who specializes in Nissans. I think the equipment is the expensive part of it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts