Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Right now I get spark Knock on regular fuel but not with 93 octane and that is just with k&n drop in filter before the headers truck totally stock with the stock tune on uprev and I don’t like it I still have half a tank of 93 I want to know what to look at and what to change to correct this

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
If you're willing to pay you might be able to work something out with seymore4 or pay the $150 to UpRev for 3 e-tunes to get you on the right track. I don't know how the tuner software works compared to the non-tuner. Basically I just load maps and have readouts, I don't even have an option to make changes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hate the Internet. There are doers and there are talkers. Tiny and me are 2 and 4 posters because we are busy doing. He asked for help and opinions on what should be a constructive forum. Sadly, only 2 doers and one of them only does it for money, which btw I completely respect. He wouldn't be serious at his craft if he didn't represent here.

Everyone else is just talking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I wench for a living I have been doing it all my life just about I try to learn as much as I can

·
Registered
182 Posts
Right now I get spark Knock on regular fuel but not with 93 octane and that is just with k&n drop in filter before the headers truck totally stock with the stock tune on uprev and I don’t like it I still have half a tank of 93 I want to know what to look at and what to change to correct this
I don't know much about the programming it takes for the uprev maps, and when I've scoured trying to find how to write one, I don't find much interwebs info. I know there's a program called Orisis (?) or something, but that has to have licenses bought for it, which were like $150 and up when I looked. Am I'm pretty sure that would be one of the few ways to advance the timing on our trucks to compensation for the low octane knock. If there's another way other than ECU programming, it'd be cool to find out.

I've modded android OS's and basic HTML code for browsers (not my regular job), so I think I could understand if I saw a map. But, then again I wouldn't do it again enough to pay the money for a license or program myself.

Let the hate go guys, I've seen guys on here that have been members since 06 and 07, or so with only 8 posts. So the number of posts don't matter. We need to keep this a constructive forum (as mentioned). I learn a lot from people's previous experiences.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I hate the Internet. There are doers and there are talkers. Tiny and me are 2 and 4 posters because we are busy doing. He asked for help and opinions on what should be a constructive forum. Sadly, only 2 doers and one of them only does it for money, which btw I completely respect. He wouldn't be serious at his craft if he didn't represent here.

Everyone else is just talking.
He's asking for someone else's work. He says he's willing to pay, but he hasn't said how much. No one's going to give away their hard work for free (unless they're stupid).

As I've said 3 times now, he has basically 3 options (4 I guess).

1. Pay UpRev $150 for 3 e-tunes that'll get him pretty close. In my experience it took about 7 tunes to get the truck dialed in.
2. Work a deal with seymore to do basic tuning for him to get him started. That's if seymore is willing to do so.
3. Get some kind, naive person to set him up with some tunes for free.
4. Do his own research, use the tuning version that he bought, and tune himself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know much about the programming it takes for the uprev maps, and when I've scoured trying to find how to write one, I don't find much interwebs info. I know there's a program called Orisis (?) or something, but that has to have licenses bought for it, which were like $150 and up when I looked. Am I'm pretty sure that would be one of the few ways to advance the timing on our trucks to compensation for the low octane knock. If there's another way other than ECU programming, it'd be cool to find out.

I've modded android OS's and basic HTML code for browsers (not my regular job), so I think I could understand if I saw a map. But, then again I wouldn't do it again enough to pay the money for a license or program myself.

Let the hate go guys, I've seen guys on here that have been members since 06 and 07, or so with only 8 posts. So the number of posts don't matter. We need to keep this a constructive forum (as mentioned). I learn a lot from people's previous experiences.
With the Nissan trucks your options are limited. as far as I can find it's Uprev(osiris, now just ROM editor) and recently HP Tuner. I have found some others that focus on Z cars but not the trucks. You can't, as far as I know go into the stock ROM and make changes. The Consult 3 package the dealers use must have some capability, but I doubt changing fuel compensation tables. I may be wrong. What Uprev has done is written a hacked ROM that overwrites the stock ROM allowing their software to edit. For that privilege you need to buy a cable, a license per vehicle, and the tuner software for $775 last I checked. At that point you are on your own, good luck. Or you can pay a tuner, either local shop with a dyno or E tune through someone like Cajun Tune. Joe with Cajun tune did my original tune with great results.They provide the cable and expertise plus the vehicle license. I think it was $500 a few years ago. But as I made more changes the tune got off so I decided I wanted to learn more about it. I don't know if tuning a stock truck will yield much, but if you make any mods like headers or CAI its almost required, especially on a flex fuel ECU.

These trucks don't have ethanol sensors, they assume the ethanol content based on how much correction is required to get on target then apply that correction to the maps and open loop WOT. So something as simple as an air cleaner mod(notice where the MAF sensor is, a couple of inches from the air box) will affect how much air the MAF thinks its reading and the tune goes to crap. Good news on the E tune is you can pay to have it tuned again and its not too much $$, you already have the license and cable at that point. For a lightly modded truck, that probably is the way to go. TinyTim and I went the hard way, but I have 2 trucks and one of them is getting a turbo very soon so I needed more flexibility.

IMG_20200113_161120397.jpg

As for HP Tuner i don't know anything about them. Until recently they were focused on mostly domestic vehicles and I'm invested in Uprev for my Nissans, but I have friends with projects that may let me play with it. I also have Tuner Studio for my 86 Bronco Megasquirt project. There is a free version you can download to get an Idea of what it does, but its a Megasquirt thing and won't work on our OEM ECUs.

And thanks for the positive attitude!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
He's asking for someone else's work. He says he's willing to pay, but he hasn't said how much. No one's going to give away their hard work for free (unless they're stupid).

As I've said 3 times now, he has basically 3 options (4 I guess).

1. Pay UpRev $150 for 3 e-tunes that'll get him pretty close. In my experience it took about 7 tunes to get the truck dialed in.
2. Work a deal with seymore to do basic tuning for him to get him started. That's if seymore is willing to do so.
3. Get some kind, naive person to set him up with some tunes for free.
4. Do his own research, use the tuning version that he bought, and tune himself.
I must be stupid, I would share my maps if it would help, but there are many different ROMs first of all, and the maps aren't the biggest problem it's the MAF table and that is something best done on his vehicle. Mine may be considerably different than his even if we have similar ROMs. I have a 2007 Titan and 2008 Armada. Armada already has headers and a tune. Have headers in the garage about to go on the Titan and I don't plan on even comparing the Armada tune to it. Different air cleaner, JBA 6412 headers instead of 6400, different Cats, different ROM. Not wasting my time worrying about what the Armada has, quicker to start over.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I must be stupid, I would share my maps if it would help, but there are many different ROMs first of all, and the maps aren't the biggest problem it's the MAF table and that is something best done on his vehicle. Mine may be considerably different than his even if we have similar ROMs. I have a 2007 Titan and 2008 Armada. Armada already has headers and a tune. Have headers in the garage about to go on the Titan and I don't plan on even comparing the Armada tune to it. Different air cleaner, JBA 6412 headers instead of 6400, different Cats, different ROM. Not wasting my time worrying about what the Armada has, quicker to start over.
Never said to share tunes, it's common knowledge that every single vehicle is going to behave differently even if they're completely stock. I said to do the work for him for free. Essentially, you'd be his e-tuner, which is what he's looking for. The reason he's getting bashed is because he has the DIY tuner version of UpRev, but he doesn't want to DIY, and he wants to cut corners.

I personally don't work for free unless it's a hobby or for myself. I do a lot of mechanical work on my friends' vehicles for free because I enjoy the work and their company, and they usually bring a 6 pack. I DON'T do 3D modeling/CAD work for free even though I enjoy it, because it's what I do all day at work too. If someone wants a CAD model they're paying for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It’s not that I don’t want to do it my self 1 I don’t know how yet trying to learn 2 I need my truck to be my transportation daily and I work 12 plus hours a day and like to spend time with my wife when I am not working

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think he is looking for some direction. It's very daunting I know first hand. Nobody will help, the info on the Uprev website is not for beginners, and everyone else is telling you it cant be done. I do building automation and HVAC/R controls. I give free tech support all the time. When they need something done that pays, I'm in their speed dial.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That’s right and guess what I got my truck tuned by some one that tunes for a living and drives a titan was super nice and very knowledgeable so when someone wants to know who tunes nissans in Georgia or even the southeast find Jon at Z1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Can’t hardly keep it straight with traction off and fuel mileage is better he did a huge burnout after he tuned it I am very happy with it next b pipes possibly cat back later this year

·
Registered
15 Posts
Haha, Very cool. I need to do the headers on my titan. Might have time the end of next week. Got a good deal on some JBA6412 headers, but they are not bolt on. Gotta modify my B pipes as they a 3" collector with v band connection. I saw a 3" stainless cat back on Ebay for $279. Kinda hard not to gamble on that. I'm just worried it will be really loud with the headers. I have at least a little respect for the neighbors.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts