Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have begun to mod my new "T" a bit and am eying tuners. I currently only have a drop in K&N and the stealership had installed a magnaflow or flowmaster (can't remember which) muffler. After my warranty runs out OR when my manifolds fail (we all know they will) I will get the long tubes from cajun, B-pipes & catback. I have a NISMO CAI enroute ($75 on eBay or I would have went MXP). So the NISMO and muffler will be the only performance mods for awhile. Will I see any impact with an UpRev with only those light mods? also, I run all Mac computers, is the UpRev compatible with Mac pc's? I'm assuming all tunes need to be loaded using a computer. I'm trying to avoid getting a BDGT only to turn around and get an UpRev. I have 3k mi. so I have a ways to go before I will have to replace my manifolds/warranty runs out.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
the BD tuner will suffice for those mods and is a slight improvement. UPrev can adjust the ecu in ways the BD can not, and provide a few separate tune files for your needs. plus the truck will perform better with a custom tune. You can always have a new tune written when you do the headers.

as far as Mac PC, can`t really help you there. have a look to see> https://www.bullydog.com/

·
Registered
912 Posts
So I had a bullydog. Definitely woke it up and loved it for a couple years. Switched to Uprev just before I did headers and damn. Much stronger all around. The truck idled smoother, started smoother. It is quite a difference and I was very impressed. And as Palerider stated, if you do further mods you can get a new tune.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Your a smart man. Regardless of Mod's, buy UPRev . I had the BDGt too, only to turn around and go with UPRev in the end. No regrets.

Reactions: seymore4

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
the bully Dog will not go to waste. I still use it to monitor other functions., trans temps, air intake temps, true volts, percentage of throttle, etc etc...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess what I'm wondering is how do the tune files get from Cajun to the vehicle? do they preload units or email the file requiring a computer to upload the tune file to the truck? and if it requires a computer is Uprevs software Mac compatible?

·
Vendor
2,006 Posts
The Uprev software is Windows only, so you will need either a windows laptop, or the ability to boot windows on your Mac. I don't personally know how to do this, but it is possible and then you can use the Uprev software on your current laptop.

The process is pretty simple, you install the software on your laptop then plug in the OBD2 dongle to your truck to verify the exact ECU part #, then we build you a tune based on that and your mods. I email the tune file to you, which you download to your computer then reflash using the Uprev software. After that its just a matter of fine tuning, we make adjustments to the tune based on datalogs that you record while driving with the Uprev software and send you updates which you reflash onto the truck. Repeat until its running just right.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, that's exactly what I needed to know. I could prob get a used Windows laptop for cheap just to run the software. Thanks I'll be in touch when my dollars are right.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Your a smart man. Regardless of Mod's, buy UPRev . I had the BDGt too, only to turn around and go with UPRev in the end. No regrets.
Exactly what he said.

I actually still have my BDGT, pretty much just to monitor transmission temp. Joe hooked me up with some sweet uprev tunes and I haven't looked back since. It's superior in every way to any other tuners, regardless of mods.

Reactions: seymore4

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I also upgraded from bully dog to Uprev, no looking back. I do all my monitoring using my phone, a blue tooth dongle attached to the OBD port and Torque Pro App cost about $15 for the dongle and app.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can very easily run UpRev on a Mac through a virtual machine "VM". I use VirtualBox, https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Mac OS X build instructions and then download a "test" version of Windows from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/ . The trick is to kill any unnecessary processes in Mac OS X via your Activity Monitor and "tune" the VM with a good amount of memory. Works like a charm and free! Ping me if you want the details, I've been meaning to write up a more extensive "how to" but haven't found the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
...oh yeah and don't forget to add the Mac USB port as a shared port on the VM and create a shared folder so you can save log files from the Win VM to your local Mac and upload the ROM files from Joe.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
...oh yeah and don't forget to add the Mac USB port as a shared port on the VM and create a shared folder so you can save log files from the Win VM to your local Mac and upload the ROM files from Joe.

I was going to say to do this but continued to read an voila someone posted exactly what I was going to.
Very doable

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
OP your getting some good advice up there, I would definitely go with Uprev from the start. There's always other options a lot cheaper then the bully dog for monitoring like Fishn said.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good gouge for sure. I will definitely check out those options. I'm going to run this warranty down a bit and start saving for all the Cajun goodies. Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The singular issue with using something other than a BDGT for monitoring is the lack of a trans temp monitor. BDGT is the only commercially available, use-on-the-fly-routinely monitor which will give trans temp.

Yes, there are scan tools which give trans temp. But they are cumbersome at best for everyday use.

I use Torque, much like Fishn. It works great. I use it with a Bluetooth dingle in my truck and my wife's truck. It does everything I want except trans temp for my Titan.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Myself I've never been worried about trans temps, I know some sure are though.
I guess if your towing often through the mountains an what not.
Still even when I had my 28.5 foot terry creek fifthwheel, I never seen the gauge move.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Myself I've never been worried about trans temps, I know some sure are though.
I guess if your towing often through the mountains an what not.
Still even when I had my 28.5 foot terry creek fifthwheel, I never seen the gauge move.
Same here. I may tow a small uhaul every 3 yrs or so and a boat is in my future, but nothing that would even require the big toe pkg. the dash gauge is good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Canned tuners are a waste of time, they are preset to one size fits all for all platforms of titans within their sold year range. Each and every single titan will run differently with the same mods because a bunch of different variables such as where you live, altitude, type of fuel, overall weight, etc etc...

Hell even the light amount of ethanol in your common 87-89-91-93 octanes will vary in percentages across each state and during summer and winter months.

Uprev has cusomizable control over AFR targets and compensation, global ignition timing, Camshaft timing for intake cams (07+ engines only), WOT restriction elimination, throttle sensitivity control, Expected torque values changes which can alter line pressure within factory limits under different loads. MAF Scaling adjustments, Ethanol Mix Ratio (lol thats a fun one *sarcasm*, try to get it to zero %, you're tuner will understand) and the list goes on.

You also can get 5 switchable maps, unless you are an 04 if i recall correctly, then you can only have 3. I can't remember exactly.

You can use Cipher to live view monitor parameters such as AFR Wideband, narrowband, maf voltage/GMS, engine coolant temp, transmission turbine speed, Engine Rpm, wheel speed, ignition timing, Cam timing advance, and way more.

Only parameters you can't log or view with Uprev is Engine oil temp and Transmission temp. Engine oil has a pretty dang good cooling water/oil cooling system and haven't seen any issues with oil temp related problems.

Transmission temps, thats not a problem, just remember once the gauge first hits normal mark in the center you've hit 158*, it won't move past that spot until its like 200+ or so.

Fix that with a transmission cooler SR4588, good writeup on here.

Lastly, there is a free patch for whats called the "Burnout Mod'' so now you can apply brakes and do a burnout without power being cut.

Typical map layouts are as follows for most.

MAP 1- Performance 93 or 91 octane
MAP 2- Performance 87 octane
MAP 3- Fuel economy/towing (i don't understand these two....)
MAP 4- Stock
Map 5- Valet (throttle cut limit to around 3000rpm) no one can steal your sheet.

I myself only use MAP 1 performance 93 octane. Gets same 14 city and 17hwy, equal to stock and i've got lots of mods.

Its all about who tunes you're vehicle.

in summary, stay away from canned tuners, buy uprev, spend money right the first time around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts