Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, here's the problem. I'm driving from Alaska to Colorado & my truck started acting up in the middle of nowhere Canada. All gages were in perfect spec for the first 1,700 miles. I stayed at a motel in Canada a few days ago and when I woke up & started the engine, the oil pressure gage went straight to H. I restarted the engine a couple times and it won't get off that H. Once the truck gets warmed up it will idle normal between L and H on the gage, but the SECOND I push on the gas the needle jumps and pegs out at H and will not come down. Be it 5 MPH or 80 MPH the needle stays pegged at H.

Anyway I called Nissan service and found the closest dealer. I took it in & the tech said it was normal!!! They said they checked all fluids; perfect. Said they checked "engine pressures"; perfect. I explained that it's not done anything like this in the past 26,000 miles since I bought it; not normal to me. It's now been 48 hours since problem began and problem still persists. I have no choice but to drive it as I'm on a business deadline. I am going to pick up a 7,500 pound travel trailer and tow it back to Alaska too in 3 days.

What should I do here? Ideas? Does this concern anyone else or is it just me?

THANK YOU!

What's the deal?

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
MGNiko said:
Hey folks, here's the problem. I'm driving from Alaska to Colorado & my truck started acting up in the middle of nowhere Canada. All gages were in perfect spec for the first 1,700 miles. I stayed at a motel in Canada a few days ago and when I woke up & started the engine, the oil pressure gage went straight to H. I restarted the engine a couple times and it won't get off that H. Once the truck gets warmed up it will idle normal between L and H on the gage, but the SECOND I push on the gas the needle jumps and pegs out at H and will not come down. Be it 5 MPH or 80 MPH the needle stays pegged at H.

Anyway I called Nissan service and found the closest dealer. I took it in & the tech said it was normal!!! They said they checked all fluids; perfect. Said they checked "engine pressures"; perfect. I explained that it's not done anything like this in the past 26,000 miles since I bought it; not normal to me. It's now been 48 hours since problem began and problem still persists. I have no choice but to drive it as I'm on a business deadline. I am going to pick up a 7,500 pound travel trailer and tow it back to Alaska too in 3 days.

What should I do here? Ideas? Does this concern anyone else or is it just me?

THANK YOU!

What's the deal?
I wish I had a good diagnosis for that. Definitely get a second opinion in Colorado. Best of luck in your travels.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
MGNiko said:
Running mobil 1 5W30 extended wear with a mobil 1 filter. Thanks
go back to OEM filter. i ran the M1 filter and it spiked like that too, also with M1 5w30 SuperSyn. still jumps to H when i peg her hard but only when i peg it hard. i'm back to running on dino and OEM filters, just change every 3k.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
I have heard of some people's gauges doing this.

It might be a bad sending unit, or gauge.

Your truck will more than likely be fine!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
No known bulletins for this,how frequently do you change your oil and when was the last time?This could just be a problem with the sending unit,but the dealer should have checked the ohms resistance to verify this.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
hooligan said:
go back to OEM filter. i ran the M1 filter and it spiked like that too, also with M1 5w30 SuperSyn. still jumps to H when i peg her hard but only when i peg it hard. i'm back to running on dino and OEM filters, just change every 3k.
There it is ,you can't beat first hand experience.Sounds like good advice to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys! We made it to Denver and immediately to the shop. They too tested it very throughly to include both engine and electrical. Unfortunately they couldn't figure it either. Said all is running exactly like it should & not to worry. They did find leaks in a few hoses & replaced them under warranty :cheers: They said change oil again & keep an eye on it & see purchasing dealer when I get back home if its still acting up. I'm just happy that mechanically all is well!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Leadsled124 said:
ive been running the mobile one filter and mobil1 full syn 5w30 and my gauge doesnt stick like that
don't know what to tell ya, but when i bought that $11 dollar Mobil 1 filter and bought the Mobil 1 5w30 15k SuperSyn, not only did my oil pressure gauge spike much higher and happen on a regular occurrence but the valve noise was a bit louder. (sewing machine sound was louder) but going back to good ol dino and OEM filter its been normal like a new engine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I too had the high oil pressure happen with the Mobil 1 filter/5w30 oil. Not nearly that bad and it went away once things warmed up. The only other time i had it was when I tried 5w40 syn oil/oem filter. Same as above but showed higher for longer. Both times it was dependant on engine RPMs though and didn't stay on High.

MGNiko, did you change the oil and does your truck do the same thing now that you changed the oil?

I wonder if there is a blockage/restriction somewhere just after the sending unit (not quite sure where that is at). Maybe something came lose in the filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jessefrank said:
MGNiko, did you change the oil and does your truck do the same thing now that you changed the oil?
Yes, after the dealership I had the oil changed; still the same problem. I have been running M1 since the beginning & am now over 26k on the truck. I too was thinking a blockage of some type but the service tech said no. I will get a second opinion from my local dealer too.

Is there any chance that altitude & heat come into play? I can't imagine on a cold engine that it's heat related; the outside air temp was only 85. I was at & have been at a decent height (Montana, Wyoming, Colorado) during this problem, but I'm not THAT high.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
hooligan said:
don't know what to tell ya, but when i bought that $11 dollar Mobil 1 filter and bought the Mobil 1 5w30 15k SuperSyn, not only did my oil pressure gauge spike much higher and happen on a regular occurrence but the valve noise was a bit louder. (sewing machine sound was louder) but going back to good ol dino and OEM filter its been normal like a new engine.
Hmmm, i dont know some say loud valvetrain noise some say quiete. I would say mine is moderate. The thinner the oil the more knock. Thats why i stay the hell away from royal purple (siezed an engine first try with that in another truck). the inside of the mobil one filter is impressive. Ill try the oem next time just to see. maby im used to it. I just hate going to the dealer

·
Registered
503 Posts
Running Royal Purple 5W-30 and OEM filter and haven't had any issues like this in 24K.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Leadsled124 said:
the inside of the mobil one filter is impressive.
i thought the same exact thing. looking into the Mobil 1 filter, you see first hand the overall quality and design looks much better than an OEM. and perhaps the filtration quality is better, but for whatever reason my oil pressure was higher with that filter. weird. went thru 2 mobil 1 filters and decided to see how the oil pressure was going back to OEM. haven't deviated from OEM since, but i will agree the Mobil 1 filter was hands down crafted better!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
my oil pressure pegs for about 5-10 minutes depending on outside temp since day 1 off the lot. After that it stays relatively normal. Because of this I always drive easy for the first 10 minutes then if I feel like flooring it I will, but never before that. It is normal, the gage is just sensative.

Maybe your gage was stuck and now it is working the way it should? Or the needle is bent from the cold of Alaska winters and pegged is actually reading in the middle :hat:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
hooligan said:
i thought the same exact thing. looking into the Mobil 1 filter, you see first hand the overall quality and design looks much better than an OEM. and perhaps the filtration quality is better, but for whatever reason my oil pressure was higher with that filter. weird. went thru 2 mobil 1 filters and decided to see how the oil pressure was going back to OEM. haven't deviated from OEM since, but i will agree the Mobil 1 filter was hands down crafted better!
hmm yes i think it is crafted better, but maby its too much of a struggle to push the oil through the extra filtration area, im not sure. ill try somthing else next time to see. (also maby when you use it you HAVE to use 100% synthetic.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was in Jackson hole WY all winter and never had a problem I would drive in
-30 temps at over 6000ft of altatude and still no problem I would try the dino oil and oem filetr thats what I ahve used and have had no problems. Good luck on the drive!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts