Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me the details/breakdown on the % of US content and % of Foreign content for our trucks.

Also, which major parts are MFG'd here in the USA and which major parts are MFG'd on foreign soil.

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
The content sticker on my 07 stated 63% United States 37% other. The engine is made in the U.S. The transmission is made in Japan. I can get a picture of the sticker late today if you need it.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm was kind hoping to get some hard evidence as to which pieces came from where. I did a search and found some info in other threads though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hmmm.....I was told when I bought it that it was designed and built in the US. Different pieces from different parts, but all on US soil.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
master_1011 said:
Hmmm.....I was told when I bought it that it was designed and built in the US. Different pieces from different parts, but all on US soil.
I'm pretty sure it's a Japanese Tranny.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You kind of have to trust the sticker. Because it's not a simple determination. I mean if it works the same way for cars as it does for other equipment. For example, let's say they build the transmission in Japan for $1000, then ship it to the US. Then they spend 10 hours at $100 an hour cleaning and painting it with $20 of paint (10 x 100 + 20 = $1020). Now it is 51% US. That's right, it's American made. Legally.

We used to do that with Chinese valves. We would just order different packing than what they normally come with. So the supplier would buy them from Taiwan, ship them to the US, charge a bunch of money for changing the packing, and, batabing bataboom, they meet the FARS and DFARS as American made.

It gets worse. Even though they cost more than twice what they would normally sell for, they were still cheaper than a valve that was actually made in America. And they were available with a shorter lead time. The quality was good too.

My point is, you just have to trust the sticker, because the truth is a little had to discern.

It's also my humble opinion that the Buy America Act and other protectionist legislation designed to incumber free trade is never worth the paper it's printed on. It's burdensome and inneffective.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The engine is made in Decherd,Tn.

The tranny is made in Japan(I think the company name is Jatco?).

KIRIU USA Corp is who makes the "famous" rotors located in Bowling Green,KY.

Martinrea Fabco in TN/MS makes a lot of under carriage parts,bed hooks,stamped sheet metal body parts.They make other parts to,but Im not sure what all they do in the MS plant.

Dana Corp builds the front and rear axle assemblies in the Ohio plant.

Collins and Aikman (Canada & US) does a lot of the plastic trim injection molding,and maybe interior carpet? They also do the vinyl acoustics that go under the dash.

Thats all I can think of for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts