Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!

Thought I would start a thread to discuss options that us Canadian importers have done to convert our Titans to metric, etc.

I was able to easily get Federal and Provincial safety's done after getting the daytime running light unit installed. That part was easy on my 05 LE CC

My odometer and speedo are the problem. I am not sure if I will need to put in a whole new console or if there is a programming mod that can be done for the digital odometer. Then I would have to get the speedometer faceplate replaced.

The Navigation part as I just select metric and same with temperature/mileage panel on the roof.

But I need ideas or experience on the odometer speedometer conversion

Ddawg :thumbsup:

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Ddawg said:
Hey folks!

Thought I would start a thread to discuss options that us Canadian importers have done to convert our Titans to metric, etc.

I was able to easily get Federal and Provincial safety's done after getting the daytime running light unit installed. That part was easy on my 05 LE CC

My odometer and speedo are the problem. I am not sure if I will need to put in a whole new console or if there is a programming mod that can be done for the digital odometer. Then I would have to get the speedometer faceplate replaced.

The Navigation part as I just select metric and same with temperature/mileage panel on the roof.

Hmmmm......since the gauges are electroniclly connected to the ECU I dont know what that would take. Might get sticky there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ddawg said:
Hey folks!

You don't have to do the conversion as km/h are on the the guage just in small numbers. You are still legal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey Bobo993

I am already fully safety and approved federally and provincially. That is not the issue.

I would like to have the odometer converted to Kms (the speedo I can live with).

Since the odometer is digital, I thought that it would just be a reprogram of the chip as it is in other vehicles. A simple software switch that needs to be activated. But not sure if this is the case. Just looking for solutions.

all the best,

Ddawg

·
Registered
122 Posts
The truck I had before the Titan was a 1999.5 GMC Sierra 1500 RegCab 5.3L that I had bought in Canada. It had metric gauges, but was still legal to drive just a pain in the *** when I had to explain that to the Lube Techs at the dealership..."uh yeah that's kilometers"...and yes the oil pressure reads in kPa's.

Back before I even knew about the Titan I was on the verge of trading my GMC in for a Ford F150. It was during their employee pricing and the dealer had a Black FX-4 ext cab loaded, that I could have got for $418/mo. They had it up 240 miles north in Fairbanks luckily so I didn't impulse buy it. Then they appraised my truck and the sales manager said that he wouldn't take my truck in on trade until I got my instrument panel changed to the US version (including reprogram). So I asked what the process to do that would take. The service manager (at Ford) said that I would take it to a GM dealer where they would remove the panel, and send it to GM...uh yeah that meant I would have had to drive around for 5-7 days with no gauges while I wait for the new US gauges. They said they had to do it that way to prevent odometer tampering...whatever.

Good news is I held off and got way more money for my GMC and got a 06 Titan LE KingCab. Thank the Lord! I would be hating my F150 right about now I'm sure.:bangit:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well that was awefully nice of them :D

Was this a foreign vehicle importer that gave you a good deal?

would be interesting to know who they are for future imports :redblob"

Ddawg

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ordered my truck from a place called The Auto Source here in Edmonton Alberta. I pretty much just told them the exact truck I wanted and they ordered it. Before the truck gets imported they have a place I beleive in arizona that converts the dash + adds the day time running lights and whatever else it takes to be legal in Canada. All said and done I saved 5K over getting one locally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts