Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone used New-Nissans.com or from any other state than California to buy their Titan that lives in California? I have a deal worked out with them which is the best deal I have seen by far but I am a little leary about this state and getting it legally registered. I found this on the California DMW webiste:


"What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California."


Here is the full link:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm


This make it sound like the vehicle would need to have at least 7500 miles on it before I could register it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Call DMV to confirm, but that's just telling you that to get it registered here in California, you'll have to pay their spendy sales tax and registration fees. They did away with that $500 "import" fee a few years back, so you won't have to pay that.

Also, our trucks all carry the 50 state smog legal stickers under the hood, so no worries there any more either.

Regards,

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am aware that I wqould have to pay sales tax but I would also have to pay sales tax even if I buy in state so that makes no difference correct?? Maybe I am wrong....
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
35,345 Posts
MPNX2 said:
I am aware that I wqould have to pay sales tax but I would also have to pay sales tax even if I buy in state so that makes no difference correct?? Maybe I am wrong....
No but I believe you will pay two states sales tax, Washington and California, am I wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
37L1 said:
No but I believe you will pay two states sales tax, Washington and California, am I wrong?

When talking with new-nissans.com I asked the same question and I was told that I would only have to pay tax to my state in fact here is a copy of the email he sent me in reagrds to that question....

"You would only pay tax to your state. You would have to pay a $35.00 Doc fee and a 30.00 trip permit. Let me know if you have any other questions. How soon are you looking to purchase? Talk to you soon."
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
35,345 Posts
If that's the case then no worries. The DMV section you quoted is for those trying to get around the "new vehicle" status for their out of state purchase.

And this is only to get around the smog certification. The Titan is 50 state smog certified so this section doesn't apply to your purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I bought an 04 Armada from them last October and I live in California.

No worries with DMV they were excellent to deal with. The correct emissions sticker, which could be your primary problem, is on Nissans.

DMV will inspect the vehicle and will require the following: Manufactures Statement of Origin aka MSO (provided to you at time of sale by dealer); Smog Test Certificate (yes, you need to have your shiny new vehicle smogged before you go to DMV); Purchase Contract; 50 State Certified Emissions Sticker under hood (Nissans have it); Checkbook with check made out to DMV (CA. Sales Tax for your county, Lic. and other BS fees [be prepared to pay about $3,000.+/- ]).

I went into DMV a couple of days after I drove my Armada home from WA. I had my plates in a couple of days. I would have had them the same day but, the dealer had to Next Day FedEx the MSO. The bookeeper wasn't there the Sat. I went to buy the vehicle.

You will pay NO fees or Taxes to the State of WA. I take that back... you will have to pay $25 for a 3 day temporary license if you drive your vehicle home.

Do a search for my posts and you'll read some of the positive I have to say about New-Nissans.com. I must say that they still owe me Touch-up paint and my interior console Coin Tray.

Good Luck. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brass Pass said:
I bought an 04 Armada from them last October and I live in California.

No worries with DMV they were excellent to deal with. The correct emissions sticker, which could be your primary problem, is on Nissans.

DMV will inspect the vehicle and will require the following: Manufactures Statement of Origin aka MSO (provided to you at time of sale by dealer); Smog Test Certificate (yes, you need to have your shiny new vehicle smogged before you go to DMV); Purchase Contract; 50 State Certified Emissions Sticker under hood (Nissans have it); Checkbook with check made out to DMV (CA. Sales Tax for your county, Lic. and other BS fees [be prepared to pay about $3,000.+/- ]).

I went into DMV a couple of days after I drove my Armada home from WA. I had my plates in a couple of days. I would have had them the same day but, the dealer had to Next Day FedEx the MSO. The bookeeper wasn't there the Sat. I went to buy the vehicle.

You will pay NO fees or Taxes to the State of WA. I take that back... you will have to pay $25 for a 3 day temporary license if you drive your vehicle home.

Do a search for my posts and you'll read some of the positive I have to say about New-Nissans.com. I must say that they still owe me Touch-up paint and my interior console Coin Tray.

Good Luck. :)
Wow thanks for that detailed reply that was just what I was looking for. I still do plan on going into my local DMV here and make sure it will go over smooth with them....I will do that next week
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
No Problemo! :)

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask.

I just thought of something else you should be aware of. If you do purchase from New Nissans.com, make sure you don't speed around the populated areas in Washington. You will get nailed by the State Troopers. The big, shiny and reflective chrome grill of the Titan/Armada make a great aiming spot for LADAR speed enforcement. Oregon had a couple Troopers sitting in the middle of I-5 but, not nearly as bad. I didn't see any CHP during my whole road-trip home (of course the planes don't run at night).

I was probably one of the slower vehicles on the HWY since I wanted to break-in the motor somewhat gently and I enjoyed the road-trip.

Tim
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top