Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pics from my recent trip to Utah. I was a guest of fellow titantalk member IMADOGMAN. Thanks Dave for inviting me and allowing me to tag along on your hunt, it was a great trip with memories that will always be fondly remembered.

Although no game was taken it wasn't because we didn't see any. We saw over 30 Elk, and untold numbers of Mule Deer and Antelope. I even saw animals that I had never seen before including Snow Shoe Hares, Prairie Dogs, and a Pine Martin.

I even saw Mother Nature in action as I witnessed a Coyote dining on a freshly killed Mule Deer fawn.

Hope you enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed taking them.











 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
I wonder if that aTitan could of held a couple more guys. I would like to add my name to the list. Great pictures!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
:cheers:
TallTexan said:
I wonder if that aTitan could of held a couple more guys. I would like to add my name to the list. Great pictures!
Texans can ride along, as long as they don't bark at the game, and scare it off. :lol:

Tnbowunter is a welcome guest around my campfire anytime...he and his alter-ego Carl from Slingblade were amusing and easygoing. I am pretty sure that he was amazed by the scenery. I am pretty sure that a couple of clifftop overlooks (sans handrails) were a bit breathtaking for the first time visitor.
It was an enjoyable hunt, but not what we were expecting. Apparently all of the elk stay on a mountain to the North of where we were hunting (they had some controlled burns there about 4 or 5 years ago), and the grass is greener there. There was a 394" bull taken on a unit nearby.

I can't see the pictures on this computer, so I am anxious to see which ones Daryl posted...I think that he enjoyed the trip, if only for the scenery. I expect to see him (and possibly his better half), back this way for an Antelope hunt in the near future.
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
sounds like fun. Its funny, those of us who live here take that scenery for granted...its good to hear a visitor's comments to remind us of its worth. Sounds like a bow hunt, curious what unit? Paunsagunt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
Supastipa said:
sounds like fun. Its funny, those of us who live here take that scenery for granted...its good to hear a visitor's comments to remind us of its worth. Sounds like a bow hunt, curious what unit? Paunsagunt?
Supastipa, Good eye on the area. Yes, it is Paunsaugunt, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for elk. I was there in OCT 1999, and there were elk bugling all around us at night. I spoke with others who hunted the area in 2000 and 2001, and they told me that there were elk everywhere. Now, I find out that they did the controlled burns to the North, and the elk stay up there because of the feed. We saw very low numbers of elk (especially considering that it was a limited entry area), yet the DWR increased the number of tags this year. The bow hunt was early Sept, the rifle hunt was mid Sept, and the Muzzleloader hunt was late Sept into Oct.
My tag was for muzzleloader, and I was expecting to hear bulls bugling everywhere...and we never heard one. I was disappointed about that. I filled out a hunt survey online, and chose "Very Unsatisfied" when asked about the hunt....and that was only because they didn't list "Pathetic" as a choice.
I still enjoyed the hunt, but I choose to only hunt the limited entry areas in order to have a quality hunt. I had a muzzleloader deer tag there in 1991 (great hunt), and again in 2001 (great hunt, and I didn't even fire a shot), so it's not about the kill, but I expected to see a lot more elk than we did. At least there wasn't a hunter behind every bush :thumbsup:

Unless things change for some reason, I wouldn't recommend Paunsaugunt for any elk hunt, and even the deer herd is not what it used to be. There are quite a few 3 1/2 yr old deer, but very few 4 1/2 or older deer as in years past. But, some people would be happy with those, because they have never seen a deer bigger than a 150.

I love the area, but it had more charm when you had to rip your mirrors off to get to the scenic areas...now there are roads and trails to all of them...so they aren't as personal as they used to be. I prefer the path less travelled.

Happy Hunting,

Imadogman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Sweet

I leave for my big elk hunting trip to Idaho today at noon.The count down is on.

Nice pics though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,754 Posts
Great pics, I am glad yall had a great time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
Pokoki said:
Sweet

I leave for my big elk hunting trip to Idaho today at noon.The count down is on.

Nice pics though...
Good Luck!!! I hope they are singing for you...it gives the hunt much more spice...!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
IMADOGMAN said:
Supastipa, Good eye on the area. Yes, it is Paunsaugunt, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for elk. I was there in OCT 1999, and there were elk bugling all around us at night. I spoke with others who hunted the area in 2000 and 2001, and they told me that there were elk everywhere. Now, I find out that they did the controlled burns to the North, and the elk stay up there because of the feed. We saw very low numbers of elk (especially considering that it was a limited entry area), yet the DWR increased the number of tags this year. The bow hunt was early Sept, the rifle hunt was mid Sept, and the Muzzleloader hunt was late Sept into Oct.
My tag was for muzzleloader, and I was expecting to hear bulls bugling everywhere...and we never heard one. I was disappointed about that. I filled out a hunt survey online, and chose "Very Unsatisfied" when asked about the hunt....and that was only because they didn't list "Pathetic" as a choice.
I still enjoyed the hunt, but I choose to only hunt the limited entry areas in order to have a quality hunt. I had a muzzleloader deer tag there in 1991 (great hunt), and again in 2001 (great hunt, and I didn't even fire a shot), so it's not about the kill, but I expected to see a lot more elk than we did. At least there wasn't a hunter behind every bush :thumbsup:

Unless things change for some reason, I wouldn't recommend Paunsaugunt for any elk hunt, and even the deer herd is not what it used to be. There are quite a few 3 1/2 yr old deer, but very few 4 1/2 or older deer as in years past. But, some people would be happy with those, because they have never seen a deer bigger than a 150.

I love the area, but it had more charm when you had to rip your mirrors off to get to the scenic areas...now there are roads and trails to all of them...so they aren't as personal as they used to be. I prefer the path less travelled.

Happy Hunting,

Imadogman

I have heard that the Henry's are where it is at now. I put in for the Book Cliffs every year, and have not drawn yet. I used to hunt in Cache Valley by the Hardware ranch, but not any more, cause they made it spike only and cut us all off. We now hunt up by Flaming Gorge, and we love it. The Uinta's are beautiful. Definitely a much shorter shot, but perfect for me. We just got back from there, and my buddy got a nice five point. He said that it wasn't the heard bull, cause he saw the monster after taking the five pt. Overall we weren't successful, but we did see elk, just not at the right time, or they were cows, but we did have a hell of a time. Where do you hunt when you don't draw on Limited Entry?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
Emptydogg,

I wasn't ignoring your question, I just haven't been back to this post until now. I don't hunt elk, unless it is limited entry. I mostly hunt birds, because I can shoot one, pick it up and admire it, put that sucker in my vest, and go on hunting. They are a lot easier to pack out :)

Happy hunting,

Imadogman
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top