Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a winch be mounted on the track behind the cab for purposes of dragging big game up into the bed? How much weight are those tracks rated for? And is there a specific mount for such a setup?

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Wow great question. I found some info on the load rating, in this thread:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
So... given that 150 pound force (even though it's at 45 deg), you're pulling up roughly 700 pounds short with my napkin math. It's been a while since I've done forces, but given a 6 foot ramp you're at roughly a 30 degree incline on your truck. Force you need to pull (F_P) is equal to force down the ramp (F_D) plus friction force (F_f) which is coefficient of friction (mu) times Normal force (F_N). Assuming a 350kg elk, gravity is 9.81 m/s^2, mu = 0.7, angle is 30 degrees. I probably assumed a high coefficient of friction.

W = 350*9.81 = 3433.5 N
F_D = weight*sin(angle) = 3433.5*sin(30) = 3392.4 N
F_N = weight*cos(angle) = 3433.5*cos(30) = 529.6 N
F_f = mu*F_N = 0.7*529.6 = 370.7 N

F_P = 3763.1 N or 846 pounds of pulling force required. Even with an assumed 0.1 coefficient of friction (clean ice sliding on clean ice), you're still above 750 pounds of pulling force required.

Long story short, I wouldn't try it. A deer? I might try it. An elk? Too big.

·
Premium Member
73,620 Posts
to counter the above, here is what I did. I had an atv with a dead battery that I needed to load. I have a set of trifold aluminum ramp and a come along. I took the 2 bed cleats and mounted them to the floor track so I had 2 points to mount the come along to. I was able to pull the 400 lb load into the bed with no issue.

I'm not sure Id trust that on the head wall of the bed but felt comfortable with the floor. Obviously this is a rolling load so the coefficient of friction would be much lower than calculated above.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
to counter the above, here is what I did. I had an atv with a dead battery that I needed to load. I have a set of trifold aluminum ramp and a come along. I took the 2 bed cleats and mounted them to the floor track so I had 2 points to mount the come along to. I was able to pull the 400 lb load into the bed with no issue.

I'm not sure Id trust that on the head wall of the bed but felt comfortable with the floor. Obviously this is a rolling load so the coefficient of friction would be much lower than calculated above.
Yeah my numbers were based on something almost double that 400 pound weight, plus you used 2 points roughly dividing the load in 2. Good on you for doing it right. I'm assuming the bed is thicker steel than the back wall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts