Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm a new member, this is my first post. I've been following this site for a couple of months while I've been researching the Titan. The truck looks/sounds awesome and I'm 90% sure that I will buy one. My thanks to everyone who has contributed so much valuable information and advise.

Second, regarding the subject of this post. I know some (most?) of you will look at me like I have a third eye in my forehead, but I'm interested in hearing what others might think of a V6 Titan. When the Titan was announced, I read reports that Nissan was considering it for the future. I for one, would like to see it made available in 2005. Here are my reasons.

1. It would still have "adequate" power (for my needs). The V6 planned for the 2005 Frontier has been stated to have "at least" 250 hp and 270 ft/lb of torque. I take that to mean that they could get more out of it if they want. I think a 275 hp/300 ft/lb Titan would still be a lot of fun to drive. And I'm not that interested in going from 0 to 60 in seven seconds anyway.

2. Gas mileage. It could only be better, right? I don't expect a huge jump, but even 3-4 mpg more would be great. It would still cost the same to fill up, but I'd feel better doing it and, obviously, wouldn't have to do it as often.

3. Towing. The only thing I would expect to tow regularly is a bass boat, maybe 3,000 lbs. or so. I can forsee maybe renting a camper trailer a few times during the ten years I would probably own the truck. And I'm sure it could handle that, too.

4. Price. It could only be lower, right? And for me, every little bit helps.

So those are my reasons. I'm wondering if I'm alone, or if others would also like to see a well-done V6 made available in 2005. I know a lot of you guys (and gals) love your V8's and I say...more power to you. But I'd love it if I had the option to go with a little less.

Let me just add...you might wonder why I don't just get a 2005 Frontier. It's because I like the interior room and look of the Titan a lot better. Plus, I'm one who can take advantage of the tax deduction for a 6,000 lb. GVWR vehicle.

Best regards to all of you, and thanks again for all of the great posts I've been reading on this forum.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Thats what the old Frontier and the new Frontier is for.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I would guess that a V-8 Tundra (240 H.P., 315 ft. lbs.) would be a reasonable approximation of what you might expect from a 250 H.P. V-6 Titan.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I only see the Titan getting bigger and better. maybe a lower H.P. V-8 (Smaller size as well)(better mileage) for the Titan. The Frontier will be the V-6 truck.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I really don't think that you would get much better gas mileage with a V6 in this truck. I think that it may be a little strained toting that much weight around. My best guestimation would be possibly an extra 1-2 mpg.

·
Registered
109 Posts
dman said:
I really don't think that you would get much better gas mileage with a V6 in this truck. I think that it may be a little strained toting that much weight around. My best guestimation would be possibly an extra 1-2 mpg.
And would you have to run premium fuel for that kind of HP from a V6? Another 20 cents a gallon?

·
Registered
780 Posts
V6 titan? no please nooooooo......

isnt that what da Frontier's for?
please no puny V6s, would only improve mpg by 10~20% just to get 70% of the performance (smaller engine working harder to pull 5200#)

a friend had bot a v6 F-150, and later the small block v8 F-150...got the same actual milage :upsidedow .

Titan needs a 5.6 v8 hybird (sp?) engine and a 350hp/600+fp 50-state legal diesel engine! :gunz:

·
Registered
85 Posts
You definitely have a third eye in your forehead.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I can see only 2 circumstances in which a 6 cylinder motor would give acceptable performance in the Titan: if it were an inline diesel, or if it was part of a hybrid gas-electric drivetrain.

·
Registered
780 Posts
inline diesel, or if it was part of a hybrid gas-electric drivetrain!

outahere said:
I can see only 2 circumstances in which a 6 cylinder motor would give acceptable performance in the Titan: if it were an inline diesel, or if it was part of a hybrid gas-electric drivetrain.
yup, i agree there, outahere !

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome to the forum, FutureTitan...I'd hate to see a V-6 Titan...it would just give the Motor Trend gang something else to nit-pick about, concerning Titan, besides the lack of ten dozen body styles and the lack of chandeliers hanging in the interior...LOL :rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd much rather Nissan made available a diesel engine for the Titan than a gas V6. Potentially such a vehicle might be 60% less expensive on fuel although maintenance costs would likely be higher.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Personally, if I were you you're better off getting the V8 & here's my reason why. When I was looking at the 03 Rams it's a fact that the HEMI engine gets better gas mileage than the smaller & less powerful 4.7L V8. The reason for that being is because the HEMI with more power & torque pulls the weight around better. Even for the highway the HEMI beats the 4.7L. Just because a motor has smaller displacement does not mean better gas mileage. If you have a lot of weight then you need the power to pull it around. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i definetly see your point, i have looked at v-6 power Silverados. But the thing is even the 4.3L in the Silverados seems kinda weak. The Titan has one big thing going for it, and that is the Endurance V-8. Whith a full sized truck you cant realy expect much millage but they are getting better millage than alot of other stuff. And as far as cost goes, Nissan hit it right on the head. I feel the Titan is good the way it is :cheers:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yup, I see the 3rd eye too...
:bangit:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought my Titan, and I love it. My last truck was a 95 Dodge Ram 1500 ST reg. cab, with the 3.9 v6.
I can tell you from experience, that a v6 pulling a full-size truck just doesn't cut it. I probably averaged 12-14 mpg, and when on the highway, the auto tranny downshifted to low gear with the slightest incline. It was a chore to keep the thing going 65 if there were any hills. That little motor works too hard to pull all that truck around. My advise would be to wait for the 2005 Frontier. Word is, that its going to be much larger, (like the Chevy Coloroado) and would probably suite your needs alot better.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, do you see that guy off in the distance waving the white flag over his head? That's me.

Seriously, thanks (to most of you anyway) for your posts and your "two cents." The consensus is that the truck is too big for a smaller engine and that a V6 would have to work too hard and therefore wouldn't get much better mileage anyway.

Looks like I'll be driving a V8 Titan. And I'm really looking forward to it. I know it's going to be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
662 Posts
FutureTitan said:
Hey, do you see that guy off in the distance waving the white flag over his head? That's me.

Seriously, thanks (to most of you anyway) for your posts and your "two cents." The consensus is that the truck is too big for a smaller engine and that a V6 would have to work too hard and therefore wouldn't get much better mileage anyway.

Looks like I'll be driving a V8 Titan. And I'm really looking forward to it. I know it's going to be a lot of fun.
Once you buy your Titan with the V8 any thought of a V6 will be completely erased from your mind...well until you have to fill up that is :upsidedow Seriously though, you will absolutely love the power of the V8.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would expect a V6 to maybe get even lower mileage that the 5.6. You can't move over 5,000 pounds without some real torque - or a LOT of pedal to make up for it.

My 03 Supercharged Frontier got 17 mpg on premium and the Titan (with Big Tow) is getting 14.7 on regular under the same driving conditions (commuting to work). At current gas prices out here in lovely LA, that works out to 13.7 cents per mile for the Frontier and 14.4 cents for the Titan. For 0.7 cents a mile this is way more fun (and comfortable).

Last summer I towed my toy 2,800 miles with the Frontier and averaged 8 mpg (of premium) for the whole trip. I'm sure the Titan will do much better. Attached is a jpg of the Frontier rig - can you say 'tail wags the dog"?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's very possible to build a gas-electric hybrid system for big vehicles. Toyota has proven that with the upcoming Highlander Hybrid. It has a total output of 270 hp with the V6 3.3L and the electric system. It actually uses two electric motors, one coupled with the gas engine in the front, and another thats connected independently to the rear wheels. The car is projected to get close to 40 mpg in the city. I bet with a slightly larger engine, and a bigger battery pack, a Titan or at least a Frontier hybrid could easily be done. Hopefully Toyota will push the technology onto a Tacoma or Tundra hybrid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts