Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be relocating to Arlington next month. I currently have an 04 Titan - 6" lift with the banks, volant and 2* advance.

I see that there is emission testing, but does anyone in that area run into any height requirements or fail the testing with similar mods?

I may refinance my truck and put my brother or father on the loan to keep my truck registered in Florida...but if it can be avoided it would be one less headache to deal with.

Thanks for any input!

edit: oops..I should have put this in the NE Section!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in Stafford Va, about 40 miles south of DC. I don't have your mods but I do see trucks with lift kits and aftermarket exhaust and they pass the inspection. I wouldn't think your mods would be a problem either.
If you have any general questions about the area let me know.

Larry

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Aren't there some other fees associated with vehicles in Virginia...like an excise tax? Parking fees to park on the streets in Arlington?
I remember speaking to someone who incurred a bunch of extra unexpected costs when they moved there

·
Registered
166 Posts
He shouldn't meet any unexpected costs- if he retains his FL registry.... I'm not sure how that would play out though..... I kow if you register your car here- you will have
1.- a fee to register your car- I think its a percentage of the current value
2.- a yearly state inspection
3.- an emissions test- every 2 years
4.- vehicle re-registartion either evry year or every 2 years ( you get a choice)

Some garages in the city are L-O-W- make should you double check the ceiling height when parking, especially with a lift.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I spent the last 5 years living in N. VA. If you can, keep your truck registered in Fl.

1. You will keep away from their inspections, which really aren't that tough.
2. The worst of all a yearly property tax on vehicles.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If your in the military you don't have to register your Truck. If not try not to register it in Va you will pay the dreaded car tax. The traffic around here sucks if your going to commute any long distances you better buy yourself a four banger to get around in. Im self- employed so I drive in the off peak traffic times, even then sometimes I still get caught in the mess. Another option is to car pool its big around here they're called the "slug line". You go to a commuter lot get in the line thats going to your destination a car will show up pick up 2 people then hit the car pool lane, your in your office in 20 to 30 minutes you can take a nap and your saving gas. its big around here hope this helps.:cheers:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Elias60 said:
If your in the military you don't have to register your Truck. If not try not to register it in Va you will pay the dreaded car tax. The traffic around here sucks if your going to commute any long distances you better buy yourself a four banger to get around in. Im self- employed so I drive in the off peak traffic times, even then sometimes I still get caught in the mess. Another option is to car pool its big around here they're called the "slug line". You go to a commuter lot get in the line thats going to your destination a car will show up pick up 2 people then hit the car pool lane, your in your office in 20 to 30 minutes you can take a nap and your saving gas. its big around here hope this helps.:cheers:
oh yeah- the traffic does suck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Virginia has bumper height laws. Check you bumper heights. I think its 29" in the front and 30" in the back (ground to bumper structure).

You should be ok with a 6" lift but barely.

Also the police will hassle you if you have out of state plates and park on the roads. If the cops see you park there routenely they will ticket you for failure to display county tags, and they will make you prove your out of state residency. Ive been there, trust me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I live in Fairfax County which is the adjoining county (but I think Arlngton is the same) and the language they use for vehicle registrations is "where is the vehicle commonly kept or garaged" when determining your liability to pay the personal proerty tax and fees. Doesnt really rely on who owns it.

The police hassled me because I had a girlfriend in Arlington and spent many a night there, parking on the street, and they littered my car with "failure to display county stickers" tickets because they saw my car there all the time and assumed I was cheating the sytem. I had to personally appear to fight each ticket over and over, showing that I actually lived outside the county.

I dont know how they would treat you because you would show that you lived in the county. I dont think they care who owns the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Va height limit for a half-ton truck is 28 inches in front and 29 in the rear. The state police measure to the bottom of your bumper, unless you have moved it (noticably). If so, they measure to the frame. You will be fine cause theres people running around wih 9 inches on there trucks and don't get written-up. Emmisions aren't overly strict here yet, but I don't live in Arlington. I know you can't go cuting off the cats either though. The law here states that the acceptable noise limit of the exhaust is strictly up to the officers opinion, so that can go either way, depending on how the cop feels about loud pipes. Intakes don't matter here. Window tinting is 50% on the front doors, and 35% on the back doors, unless it came from the factory darker, which they do on most. The front door windows are the ones they gig you on though. I have 35% on mine, and always have, on all my vehicles. Interior-color makes it more or less noticable. 50% isn't worth your money. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would leave it registered in fl as long as you can get away with it. The property tax is crazy I would try to put off those as long as possible.If you get a few tickets then I might reconsider.

·
Registered
830 Posts
When I moved to West Virginia in 2001 we almost immediately got a letter in the mail from the Sheriffs department informing us that we had 30 days to transfer our vehicle registrations and driver licenses to West Virginia. There was some information regarding the penalites for failure to comply. I thought this was kind of strange and rather "Orwellian". I did comply though, no need to piss off the "po po" right off the bat.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn I didn't even think about the tint. FL is 35%..I have 15% and have yet to get hassled.

I dont plan on driving much...so hopefully I wont get too much crap. The only reason why I am keeping the truck is because I don't think a taxi will drive me to the woods and drag a buck back.

However I spend over $200 a month in gas alone down here, so that will be nice to get rid of/reduce.

I really appreciate all the pointers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts