Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently replaced my starter in my 2004 titan bc the inside of the starter and the connecting wire was burnt up. It started fine that day. Then the next day it went back to a hesitating start like it was before which is why I replaced the starter.( hesitating meaning I would have to hold the key for a little until it cranked, like it's not getting a signal or something)) Now all it does at the turn of the key is make a loUd vacuum type noise and it doesn't turn over to start. Weird... Never heard that before.. Any suggestions? Thanks guys

·
Registered
221 Posts
damage the flexplate? starter gear? what do you mean vacuum noise? whistle?
far fetched but did you after all the strenuous cranking happen to short you fuel pump.... (thats the only thing I can think of when they go bad they make either no noise or sound like a retarder supercharger)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you confusing CRANKING and STARTING? They are NOT the same.
CRANKING-Starter Motor(electric motor) spins engine 200 RPM to get it to START
STARTING-Engine now running on its' own WITHOUT help from the starter motor.
If the engine has NOT started yet there is NO vacuum noise for you to hear. You're not discribing the sound succinctly enough to be understood. Cars make ALL KINDS of sounds, but vacuum isn't one of them if the engine isn't running. I would pull the spark plugs and crank the engine by hand using a socket on the crank pulley bolt to see if there is a mechanical bind. If-YES, you need more than an starter motor. If-NO, further information is needed from you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts