Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Quick question on replacing left side (driver) valve cover and gasket.

I've got the new gasket and cover, and am ready to begin installation. I've seen varying reports about RTV - so I went and purchased a tube of Ultimate Black (Oil applications) just in case.

Do you guys recommend I go all the way around on the valve cover gasket channel first with RTV and push the gasket into it, and then go all the way around the surface of the head, apply, and let sit for an hour finger tight?

I've also been told that I just need it in the corners where the cover curves upward.

Doesn't matter to me, but I just want to make sure I do it right the first time, being all new parts.

Thanks for any advice!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Both areas - silicone RTV is spec'ed in the Service Manual to hold the gasket to the rocker cover, and on the head side in two places (see attached snap shots). The manual doesn't recommend a wait time, which makes sense, since the RTV needs to conform to the cover. It does spec tightening the fasteners in a two-step sequence, as shown in the second snapshot.

Red circles and arrows show the two areas that get RTV on the head side. Green circle shows RTV on the cover side of the gasket, as I interpret the diagrams.

SM specs Nissan RTV (Ultra Grey) 999MP-AM003P or 999MP-A7007 which both come up in the parts system as NLA, or Permatex Ultra Grey 82194.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

Reactions: alby

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow - that's an awesome resource - thank you! I missed your post and had to start. Luckily, I followed a Maxima diagram someone posted on the web and the tightening order was the same. I went with a thin layer of RTV all the way around and did pay special attention to the red circles areas. Hopefully it was good enough!

Hope this helps someone down the road, because I searched and couldn't find this anywhere in the forum (at least with my beginner searching skills).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's all in the Service manual... if you don't have access, go to NICOclub - NICO Club - Nissan Forums | Infiniti Forums - and click the Service Manuals button on the right side. The next page tells you how to use the service manual resources, select the Nissan link, on the next page select Titan, and on the final index page, select your model year. You're in (you may have to join that forum to get access, as I recall).

Hope this helps on future projects!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts