Nissan Titan Forum banner

Vdc, slip abs light on

94K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  crayson10 
#1 ·
recently my vds slip and abs light all came on in my truck.. my rear parking brake shoes were bad so i replaced them light went off for about two days.. now its back on .. i noticed when the truck sits for a day it will come on i drive down the road shut it off and turn it on start driving and it will shut off.. until the truck sits for a day agian then it will be back on and do the same thing.. truck has brand new front brake pads and the rears have about half life left.. brake fluid is not low ... any ideas???

#3 ·
is there a way to check them?? i physcally look at the connections and everything was intact and didnt look corroded

#4 ·
bad battery will do exactly the same thing. happened to me too.

Reactions: cst_titan
#5 ·
My wifes 05 pathfinder does the same exact thing the OP stated. Ive been on ClubFrontier since I used to own one and they are basically the same trucks. The only conlcusion they came up with was bad ABS sensors but nobody ever followed up on the thread. Keep us posted on what happens with your truck. Maybe it will help with the Pathy.

#6 ·
will this affect the 4wd engaging?? because when those lights are on ive noticed it will not engage.. also to check the abs sensor is there suppose to be a certain ohms between the two contacts on the sensor to know if its good or bad

#8 ·
i pulled off the rear sensors all a few were dirty i cleaned them put them back in.. is there any way i can diagnose which one is one is causing the problem without having to go to the dealer

#10 ·
wow thanks for your help baseballfanz ill try that tonight to try to narrow it down

#11 ·
ITS FIXED!!!! turned out the wire for the drivers front wheel sensor was cracked right where it went into the connecter started playing with it and it fell apart.. depinned the connecter stripped wire back repinned it and everything is working perfect now.. may have went bad from the lift on the truck and tension on the wire.. so made some more slack and everything looks good .. thanks for all the help everyone

Reactions: digger
#13 ·
Darn, my vdc, slip, and abs light come on tonight when leaving work. I checked the wires when I got home and they looked ok, I'm hoping its the battery and not the sensors. I pulled off the rears and cleaned them and was about to do the same to the front until I saw that the rotors covered them. Gonna test the battery at work tomorrow.

#14 ·
Got this same problem. Could auto zone, checkers, napa, etc. Run a test to find out what it is? I tried austins post for locking diff, couldn't figure it out so I put everything back the way it was and since then slip and abs lights are on. 4 wheel still works though.

#15 ·
i called autozone to see if they had a way to test it when i had the problem and they said they didnt.. but also any brakes are worn down bad it can cause that .. check out your brake fluid level too..

#16 ·
I've had this problem a couple times on my '04. Each time it's been due to a bad break booster. The service guy said that they go out every few years and have to be replaced. It's a little bit more than $100 bucks each time if I remember correctly. The kicker is that when they replace the booster they have to reset the system otherwise the lights keep coming on. Hope this is helpful.

#17 ·
I have a 2006 titan with aftermarket headlights. when my lights areturned off i have full throttle control. When my lights are turned on it acts like vdc/slip is on all the time but the slip light does not come on. I don't have the vdc option buton in my truck. Any ideas how this is happening. maybe a ground problem?

#19 ·
Most generally when all of these lights are on, it is an ABS sensor and 4-wheel will not engage. Even though you may look at it and it looks ok it's really not. To know for sure gently pull on the wires that come off the frame to the wheel up by the plug. It will stretch or break in half if it's bad. This always is the case in all lifted Titans with a 6" lift. The fix is replace the ABS sensor(obviously) but the trick is to only plug it in and have one zip tie holding it around the steering knuckle. Do not place it in the holders for the grommets, for if you do it will fail again. I know I'm new here but trust me I've had to replace 4 or 5 in 2010 models.

#20 ·
Hi I also have a nother problem.... like I said before I have after market headlights. When I turn them on I don't have throttle power, meaning I keep it down to the mat and it reacts like I'm only quarter throttle as if I am sliping out and the VDC is kicking in but the slip light does not turn on and I am not sliping out. When I turn my lights off I have full throttle response. Any solutions to what the problem is. this also goes away sometimes but it's been like this for a while now.

#23 · (Edited)
How exactly do you check continuity? I have a multimeter and everything, just not sure exactly what the actuator and the control unit are :ftard: I pulled out one rear sensor and it had a small crack at the end on the corner (kind of like you would dog ear a page), would this cause a problem? The other side was covered in a nice sludge of brake fluid and brake dust/drit. I cleaned it off best I could and put it back in, but now will be pulling the wheel off to see if the caliper is leaking somewhere.

I had to put a new tranny in earlier this year (my fault, blew reverse) and since the 4WD didn't work. I thought it worked before even though the abs/slip/vdc lights were on, but now I'm not sure. I was looking at the rear transfer case and there are 3 plugs on the bottom..which one is the speed sensor that would affect 4wd?

Thanks!! :bump:

#24 ·
speed sensor is attached on each wheel hub itself

#25 ·
that small crack could cause it. The other side could be axle grease since titans are notorious for axle seal leaks.
Each of the four wheels have their own sensor, the fronts are tucked behind the rotor and of course unplug up by the frame. They take a 5 or 6 mm hex head to remove them.
Most generally when all of these lights are on, it is an ABS sensor and 4-wheel will not engage. Even though you may look at it and it looks ok it's really not. To know for sure gently pull on the wires that come off the frame to the wheel up by the plug. It will stretch or break in half if it's bad. This always is the case in all lifted Titans with a 6" lift. The fix is replace the ABS sensor(obviously) but the trick is to only plug it in and have one zip tie holding it around the steering knuckle. Do not place it in the holders for the grommets, for if you do it will fail again. I know I'm new here but trust me I've had to replace 4 or 5 in 2010 models.
Also there is a valve on the bottom side of the master cylinder that can cause these lights to come on. :)

#26 ·
Axle seal leaks?! :huh: $@#%!!

OR if you and your son put an exhaust on late one night, and decide not to weld it til the next day when it's light, there is a good chance the clamps aren't tight and the pipe moves...consequently melting not only the shock cover (and probably boiling the oil in the valve) but also wires. :bangit:

Epic FAIL, but at least I realized what it was after noticing a wire no longer attached to the plug up my the frame rail. Derrrrrr :ftard:

#28 ·
Mine was just that the wheel sensor wires melted in half, just had to either wire nut them back together or solder them. My rear one melted from the exhaust, and I recently had a front one rip in half when a snow chain caught it. Hook them back up, drive down the road a ways and see if the lights go off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.