Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very strange situation/ 60 lb tire pressure!

I took my Titan in to have the tires rotated which I thought was a simple thing.
After getting the tires rotated, the truck ran harshly and after a week developed what I thought was a transmission problem with the truck having trouble moving in reverse and jerking/clunking.
After checking the transmission fluid ect. I decided to give the truck a full once over.
It turns out that the tires were inflated to 60 lbs! I asked the shop who worked on the truck and he said he just kept filling them until the low tire pressure code disappeared! (my sensors are defective because I used tire sealant in 2 tires 10 yrs ago...). He said he figured it must be the right tire pressure for this vehicle!!!
I reduced the pressure to 33lbs., unhooked the battery overnight to clear the ECM and now the dragging/ thumping problem is gone hopefully for good.
Not sure what issues that crazy tire pressure caused. Maybe messed with the ecm or drivetrain or brakes? Just wondering if anyone has any ideas...

·
Premium Member
20,934 Posts
Whoever worked on your tires was an idiot. But I don't see how very high tire pressure would have affected the transmission.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Did you take your truck to a JiffyLube or something? (My secretary took her car to a JiffyLube once...they drained the oil but didn't put any back in before turning the car over to her.) Jeez...I'd run far from whoever you entrusted your vehicle to.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a cheap local gas station. I figured how could you screw up a tire rotation?
I usually do most maintenance myself and have had very few issues with my 2004 titan.
The mechanic did say he tried everything he could think of to clear the low pressure code before he increased the pressure...
Maybe he screwed up the ecm in some way and the reset fixed things?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I'd only suspect tire slipping causing a problem. The Sensors only turn on, they don't send corrective codes to the ECM or BCM.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been taking my Titan to the same place for oil changes and tire rotations for 2 years...40 dollars gets it done, so I let them do it. About 3 oil changes/ tire rotations ago, the service manager asked if I had been doing any towing lately, I said well I pull around an 18 foot Jon boat, why? He said he only asked because all 4 of my tires had 100...yes 100lbs in them and he thought I had inflated them for towing purposes. I said no, the last people to mess with the air pressure was you guys, the last time you rotated my tires...needless to say I check my air pressure every time now.

·
Premium Member
58,568 Posts
This is why I own a compressor and I change my own oil and rotate my own tires. I don't trust anybody else to work on my truck and I consider it even more important that I do all the work on my wife's car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts