Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I replace everything from the cat back on my 2004 CC Titan. From cat back replaced with 2.5 inch to Flowmaster Y-Pipe to 3 inch Borla XR1 Muffler to 3 inch tail pipe. I love the way it sounds but cruising from 1500-1850 rpms can drive you crazy. I've heard about the UQ resonator and was wondering if the placement matters.

I've read a few post about it should be behind the muffler, but does it matter how far past the muffler it is? I don't believe the vertical pipe right behind the muffler going above the axle is enough space for it..but I do believe that is a section of pipe right before the exhaust tip that it will fit on. I was curious is this still will kill the drone or not?

Mainly my questions is...If there is lets say 1.5-2ft of pipe b/w muffler and UQ resonator will it still kill around 50% of the drone? Or would it be better to have the UQ mounted right behind muffler?

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
So today I replace everything from the cat back on my 2004 CC Titan. From cat back replaced with 2.5 inch to Flowmaster Y-Pipe to 3 inch Borla XR1 Muffler to 3 inch tail pipe. I love the way it sounds but cruising from 1500-1850 rpms can drive you crazy. I've heard about the UQ resonator and was wondering if the placement matters.

I've read a few post about it should be behind the muffler, but does it matter how far past the muffler it is? I don't believe the vertical pipe right behind the muffler going above the axle is enough space for it..but I do believe that is a section of pipe right before the exhaust tip that it will fit on. I was curious is this still will kill the drone or not?

Mainly my questions is...If there is lets say 1.5-2ft of pipe b/w muffler and UQ resonator will it still kill around 50% of the drone? Or would it be better to have the UQ mounted right behind muffler?

Nightowl (Jeff) I believe recommends over the axle I'm pretty sure. His cat back that he sell has a two piece tailpipe for that reason. The straight section over the axle I'm pretty sure.

Reactions: nightowl

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've been curious about this as well. I recently added a Borla XL muffler and reso cajun b-pipes and I LOVE the new sound of my truck. I'm going to hold off on the UQR until after I need to install the header kit. My drone is more noticeable now than before the B's, but I'm okay with it. Just too worried if I were to install the UQ right now that it would knock out too much of that sound that I've been waiting so long to have. I think I remember Jeff telling me it knocks out about 20% of the overall sound.

Reactions: nightowl

·
Registered
197 Posts
Its hard to give you an exact percentage when decibel levels are recorded and compared. From my experience (and most that have vibrant), I have JBA lTS, Berks B pipes and JBA catback which rumbles louder than hell. I installed the vibrant behind the muffler and I am completely happy with the sound. A nice rumble at idle, drone is still slightly apparent if you dont have the radio on. I wouldn't enjoy my truck nearly as much if I didnt have the UV.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got back from my local muffler shop and had the Vibrant 1142 welded into the JBA 40-1400 catback exhaust in the location nightowl illustrates above. Plenty of clearance. Eliminates 90% of the drone (non-scientific and I didn't dB test).

My truck has the stock b-pipes and exhaust manifolds, but, that will change in the future and I don't want a loud exhaust. The stock JBA 40-1400 without the Vibrant resonator sounded nice, to me, my wife...she wanted it closer to stock as she drives the truck quite often. I took the truck down the road and cruised at 60 mph and heard more road noise (wind, tires, etc.) than I heard from the exhaust. I'd say its on par with the factory set-up in terms of noise.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Question, not trying to hijack!

So I took my rig and resonator in to a muffler shop and asked for a quote to have it welded in to the place specified. The guy said that there wasn't enough space over the axle, and that he didn't want to put it there because he thought it would cut back on my suspension travel, so he recommended directly behind my muffler. Admittedly, there is more space there (I run an MBRP Pro Series exhaust), but I'm certain that what he was saying about the suspension travel was BS. Regardless, I'm not out there doing hardcore offroading that would require that much flex anyway.

Is there any downside to putting the UQ directly rear of the muffler, or should I find another shop that will do the over axle?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have 7.5" of clearance between my exhaust pipe and axle. I also have at least 2.5" of clearance everywhere else. The resonator on my truck is welded in right at the axle, but not over top of it. I showed the muffler guy where I thought he should weld it in, but also told him to put it where there was maximum clearance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts