Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a 18" Magnaflow muffler installed about a month or two ago and since day one there has been annoying vibration sound at low RPM and speed. Took it back to the mechanic and he couldn't tell where it was coming from. It's definitely coming from the middle of the truck somewhere.

We cannot reproduce the sound in neutral.

Everything seems tight underneath, so I'm not sure whats going on. The mechanic states it could just be resonance, but I'm not buying it.

It sounds like a heatshield vibration, but he said they are fine. :confused:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
put it in the are and start checking everything metal, check the exhaust hangers and rubber bushings....if it started the day you had the mag installed its got to be something they caused

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
We got a 18" Magnaflow muffler installed about a month or two ago and since day one there has been annoying vibration sound at low RPM and speed. Took it back to the mechanic and he couldn't tell where it was coming from. It's definitely coming from the middle of the truck somewhere.

We cannot reproduce the sound in neutral.

Everything seems tight underneath, so I'm not sure whats going on. The mechanic states it could just be resonance, but I'm not buying it.

It sounds like a heatshield vibration, but he said they are fine. :confused:
The heat shields can be "fine" and still rattle.

Temporarily wedge something in the end of the heat shield and make a few passes.

I bought aluminum fence ties to fix mine to stop the rattle. It wasn't a vibration though so I'm not sure if you mean rattle or if by vibration it's something else.

A vibration to me suggests something out of round that rotates.
Something could be loose in the magnaflow.

Am I assume low RPM = less than 2k or less than that?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, less the 2k. Mainly around 1200-1500rpm.

I may check that bigger shield that looks to be above the muffler. The sound goes away when more gas is applied and is there around 10-20 mph. I'll have to get more time to crawl up under there to take a look.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Your exhasut should not be tight as in how it mounts to the truck. You should be able to grab the end of it (when its not hot) and you should be able to shake it a little.

Heat shield are normally what causes the problem though.

Worst case senerio would be that something is loose in the muffler itself.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a follow up on this.

I brought the T in to get oil changed and asked that they look underneath too try and find a problem. I'm watching the technician from the break room and notice he reaches up under the engine/trans area and pulls out a 2 foot long tool. For a second it looked like a dipstick, but then he told me someone (probably them before I bought the truck) left what he thought a dent puller. This thing is about 2 foot long, and kind of resembles one of those extraction tools, like if you drop something and need something to reach down in there and pick it up. I'll take a picture of it when I get home.

Anyways, haven't noticed the sound since.

Reactions: TitanBlue

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
hahaha hell yeah man problem solved and scored a free tool!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No doubt. They were gonna keep the tool and I was like "I think this now belongs to me". Got no clue how to use it, but something to add to the tool collection.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the tool that was found underneath the truck. The wire strippers are there for size comparison.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
That appears to be a tool to grab belts that are hanging up high on the wall, or what ever else needs picked up. Maybe it is to help install belts? ???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts