Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro 4x
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 21 Pro 4x back in March. I've noticed that I get a brief, nasty little vibration, almost like a grinding noise, with hard acceleration. I feel like it's worse when I have the climate control system on. Yes, I realize that pretty much every car or truck out there runs worse when the A/C is on. I've brought my truck into the dealer twice to have them check it out and see if they can find something wrong but both times they came up with nothing. It happens mostly when starting from a lower gear (or slower speed) and once the engine gets to about 3,500 RPM. When I'm riding down the highway and floor it and the engine gets up to ~3500 RPM, it doesn't do it. The guys at the dealership said they test drove 3 other new Pro 4x's on the lot and said they all do the same thing. I've seen the TSB about the fan coupler vibrating at 3500 RPM. I mentioned this to the technician at the dealership but he said this was a problem with previous years and didn't think it was the problem with mine. I love everything about this truck except for this damn vibration! I just feel like it runs rough and it's starting to really ruin the truck for me. Anyway, I'd love to know if any of you are experiencing this with your Titans. I guess it would make me feel better if it really was common to all new Titans and not just mine! Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
6,209 Posts
I don't have it.

On my old bmws, when the drive shaft support bearing was torn or worn, you would get a vibration on hard acceleration in first and second. When the bearing assembly was completely trashed, it would vib the whole time while driving and thump on the bottom of the car.

So maybe your bearing support bearing is going out

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Bought a 21 Pro 4x back in March. I've noticed that I get a brief, nasty little vibration, almost like a grinding noise, with hard acceleration. I feel like it's worse when I have the climate control system on. Yes, I realize that pretty much every car or truck out there runs worse when the A/C is on. I've brought my truck into the dealer twice to have them check it out and see if they can find something wrong but both times they came up with nothing. It happens mostly when starting from a lower gear (or slower speed) and once the engine gets to about 3,500 RPM. When I'm riding down the highway and floor it and the engine gets up to ~3500 RPM, it doesn't do it. The guys at the dealership said they test drove 3 other new Pro 4x's on the lot and said they all do the same thing. I've seen the TSB about the fan coupler vibrating at 3500 RPM. I mentioned this to the technician at the dealership but he said this was a problem with previous years and didn't think it was the problem with mine. I love everything about this truck except for this damn vibration! I just feel like it runs rough and it's starting to really ruin the truck for me. Anyway, I'd love to know if any of you are experiencing this with your Titans. I guess it would make me feel better if it really was common to all new Titans and not just mine! Thanks!
I would try to drive a few others to see if they compare to yours.. Maybe the same ones your dealer claimed to drive?

The 5.6 has a certain “coarseness” to it on hard acceleration.. especially around the 2400 to 3100 rpm range…

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I highly doubt a tech was handed the keys to new stock and went driving around earning no money to validate your concerns. Sadly unless the car stores a code and the defect isn’t glaringly obvious they won’t ever find it. That was in the old days when we had MECHANICS, “techs” have no where close to those skills. Most techs don’t even own a Titan, if they do it’s not this generation either, many have never driven one nor do they know what’s normal or not.
To a dealership service guy it’s just a job, he doesn’t want to be there. Just look at them as they walk around or if there is a window into the shop they have more interest in their phone.

Clint

·
Registered
227 Posts
I highly doubt a tech was handed the keys to new stock and went driving around earning no money to validate your concerns. Sadly if the car store a code and the defect isn’t glaringly obvious they can ever find it. That was in the old days when we had MECHANICS, “techs” are no where close to those skills. Almost techs don’t own a Titan, if they do it’s not this generation either, many have never driven one nor do they know what’s normal or not.
To a dealership service guy it’s just a job and he doesn’t want to be there. Just look at them as they walk around or if there is a window into the shop they have more interest in their phone.

Clint
Nailed it!

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro 4x
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I went back to the dealer and test drove two other 21 P4X's and, sure as ****, they do the same thing! They both had a noticeable little "rrrrrrrrrrt" and vibration when you floor it. I guess I feel better knowing that it's not just my truck. I still don't like it tho! I'm hoping that one day Nissan will come up with an explanation and perhaps a solution. Maybe it is the tranny and there will be some sort of update. In the mean time, just gotta live with it (and maybe lay off the gas pedal!). Hey, at least under warranty for another 4.5 years! If you guys ever come across any info on this, please let me and everyone else know. Long live the Titan!

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro 4x
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would try to drive a few others to see if they compare to yours.. Maybe the same ones your dealer claimed to drive?

The 5.6 has a certain “coarseness” to it on hard acceleration.. especially around the 2400 to 3100 rpm range…
I did just that and both of the other Titans I test drove do the same thing! Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
So I went back to the dealer and test drove two other 21 P4X's and, sure as ****, they do the same thing! They both had a noticeable little "rrrrrrrrrrt" and vibration when you floor it. I guess I feel better knowing that it's not just my truck. I still don't like it tho! I'm hoping that one day Nissan will come up with an explanation and perhaps a solution. Maybe it is the tranny and there will be some sort of update. In the mean time, just gotta live with it (and maybe lay off the gas pedal!). Hey, at least under warranty for another 4.5 years! If you guys ever come across any info on this, please let me and everyone else know. Long live the Titan!
U made me floor the T a few times.. Maybe they changed something along the way.. All seems normal….

I wouldn't worry….

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is a TSB for the fan coupler for this issue. My truck does it as well (2020) but I haven't made time to take it in.

TSB #NTB20-053

2020 TITAN 4WD; VIBRATION WHILE DRIVING ABOVE 3,500 RPM IF YOU CONFIRM A vibration is present while driving with the engine speed above 3,500 RPM. ACTION 1. Diagnose the fan coupler. 2. Install the fan coupler kit listed in PARTS INFORMATION, if applicable. The fan coupler kit includes a new fan coupler, fan pulley and fan bracket.

It shouldn't be an issue with yours being a 2021, but this sure sounds like the issue.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
There is a TSB for the fan coupler for this issue. My truck does it as well (2020) but I haven't made time to take it in.

TSB #NTB20-053

2020 TITAN 4WD; VIBRATION WHILE DRIVING ABOVE 3,500 RPM IF YOU CONFIRM A vibration is present while driving with the engine speed above 3,500 RPM. ACTION 1. Diagnose the fan coupler. 2. Install the fan coupler kit listed in PARTS INFORMATION, if applicable. The fan coupler kit includes a new fan coupler, fan pulley and fan bracket.

It shouldn't be an issue with yours being a 2021, but this sure sounds like the issue.
His happens below 3500rpm.. when flooring it from a stop…

Lucky for me my 20’ is butter smooth all the way to redline…

·
Registered
2021 Super Black Pro-4X
33 Posts
Reviving old thread here as the thread provided me with the solution to an issue I am having with my ‘21 P4X. I made an appointment at my dealer citing the TSB as the likely cause too the vibration I experience under hard acceleration. Tech assessed the truck to almost certainly qualify and I should know by tomorrow if corporate approves it for the fix. My truck has 5k miles and has done it since day one and I chalked it up to me being overly sensitive but after towing a 4k lbs travel trailer last week, the truck spent a lot of time in the rpm range where the vibration is most noticeable and I could not live with the truck knowing I will tow with ot rather frequently. Fingers crossed corporate is reasonable so I can get the truck remedied ASAP.

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
823 Posts
Reviving old thread here as the thread provided me with the solution to an issue I am having with my ‘21 P4X. I made an appointment at my dealer citing the TSB as the likely cause too the vibration I experience under hard acceleration. Tech assessed the truck to almost certainly qualify and I should know by tomorrow if corporate approves it for the fix. My truck has 5k miles and has done it since day one and I chalked it up to me being overly sensitive but after towing a 4k lbs travel trailer last week, the truck spent a lot of time in the rpm range where the vibration is most noticeable and I could not live with the truck knowing I will tow with ot rather frequently. Fingers crossed corporate is reasonable so I can get the truck remedied ASAP.
Great news! Hopefully tomorrow will bring even more good news. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Yes in looking at the tsb it appears that the fan clutch is not at proper engagement rpm during higher engine rpms and thus causing the vibration…

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro 4x
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got the call back stating Nissan approved the repair. Dealership is ordering the parts and I’ll pick the truck up today and wait for the call when the parts arrive.
This is awesome! So are they putting a new fan clutch in? I remember asking the dealer about this TSB back when I first started investigating the cause and they didn't see to think that was it. I've moved since I purchased it so I think I'll take it to the dealer near me now. Got to be honest, I kinda gave up on finding a solution to this and learned to live with it. For a while there it bothered me so much that I was about to sell my Titan! I can't wait to hear if this fixes it! Keep us posted

1 - 20 of 22 Posts