Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I’d just be happy to remove and install a different camera in the rear. The Nissan camera is trash. There’s not a lot I bash on my truck, but camera quality compared to my old ford is night and day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
still, the stock camera is really BAD.. does it look the same in the infinity models i wonder.... and is it the camera or the head-unit ?
According to some you tube videos it also fits the '20 and newer models..?

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
6,209 Posts
i guess you guys really use the heck out of those cameras? i still use the mirrors primarily when backing so the camera is just for making sure i don't bump the pole or whatever is behind the spot i am parking in. i have no complaints about the camera because this is the first truck i have owned with a camera. all the wife's cars have had cameras but they are not my main thing to look at when reversing so if they are nicer, i don't know? i use them for the same thing as i do on the truck

·
Registered
2022 Titan Pro4X
25 Posts
Backup cameras are great for hooking up to a trailer. I pull a trailer a lot. I was born and raised in the feed & supply business, spent 30 years in the dairy business, then 15 years in the building trade. Always used lots of trailers. Now that I’m retired I pull trailers even more, just not big heavy loaded ones much anymore. About 1/3 of the miles I run are with a trailer hooked up, either a bass boat or a 12 or 16 foot utility trailer with a side X side and hunting gear on it. Mt last truck and my 2022 Titan are the only 2 I’ve owned with backup cameras and they take all the guess work and the where to stop out of hooking up to a trailer. Having to disable the backup alarm is kind of a pain with the Titan when hooking up and when backing a trailer, but I’m getting used to it. But backup cameras and trailers were made for each other.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
6,209 Posts
for sure on that. it does make life easy when hooking up a trailer. no more bumping the license plate or having to try and shove the trailer over an inch or two to get it on the ball

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah, if it wasn’t for the trailer aspect I wouldn’t care at all. My ford had an awesome camera and it made hitching up simple as can be in any conditions.

The titans…. It sucks and is borderline useless. I’ve watched TFL back up to trailers on my tv, and their camera is better through the tv than mine is.

Trying to hitch up at night when it’s raining, it’s not happening. That’s really one of my few complaints about this truck though, so that’s great! It just seems to be a big oversight on Nissans part in my opinion.

·
Registered
2022 Titan Pro4X
25 Posts
Yep, the 2016 Ford F150 I traded in on my 2022 Titan had a lot better rear camera, the zoom feature was especially nice hooking up a trailer. That and the keypad door entry on the Ford are the two things I miss most about it. I never carried the key to the Ford, just left them in the console and used the keypad to unlock the door, I'm not getting used to having to carry the Nissan key fob in my pocket all the time. Overall, I like the Titan better than the F150, I'm still surprised at how much quieter the cab of the Nissan is compared to Fords, but I do wish the Nissan had a better backup camera and keypad from the F150. Tip for folks who have Fords with keypads, an easy 5 digit code number to use is your zip code, it's really easy to remember.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So what i could find out is that the stock camera (front and rear) is 720p. Thus with the increase in screens on the infotainment system the picture becomes grainy as the 720p image is stretched to fit the bigger screen. So the only remedy is to get a higher resolution camera and then make sure it can actually connect to the head-unit.
On the use, i do agree that it is not an essential piece of kit, but i have instances on the trail where the cameras would be helpful if you could actually see a clear picture, so it's basically useless ... so it's getting out, walk around check the route get in and drive (old school).
I also read somewhere that it is a requirement on all new vehicles to have cameras (rear) same with seatbelts and DRL's.. it's a safety thing...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts