Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking about doing these mods to get an insurance break. I haven't called the company yet to see how much I'd save, but if it's worth it, I'll probably do them.

Has anyone used an etching kit? If so, does it work well? Does it look stupid on the windows?

I don't really understand how this is a theft deterrent. Wouldn't you be able to scrape the VIN number off the window with a razor blade?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
No, you can not scrape the etching off, it is cut in the glass. My 04 XE has the vin etched in the glass from the factory. Yours should to look close at the lower right coners of any glass on the truck because it is etched lightly.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I bought and actually posted about a VIN etching kit on here about 3 years ago. I bought my kit from a company in Canada and applied it in about 3 hours. All 4 windows and a few "hidden" places on the frame and underbody in case it gets stolen and stripped down.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I called the company (USAA) and they told me that applying the window etching and the DRLs would save me a LOT of money...

Are you ready for this? 30 whole dollars a year! Needless to say, I'm not going to bother.

The etching doesn't really do anything because adding an anti-theft feature to a truck with anti-theft features doesn't do much. It was actually the DRLs that would account for most of the savings.

Bottom line: why bother?

·
Registered
196 Posts
vin etching is a waste of money and if you buy it from a dealer, a big rip off.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
10% discount at AAA insurance for etched windows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts