Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted on ranger forum but i haven't had much help, there are now 6 Titans in the junkyard and all have the tranny and engines?, What would it take to put that motor into my 2002 ranger

·
Registered
62 Posts
is this a common thing? i mean its sounds like a awesome idea, but i don't think it would be worth your time and money to make this project work.

it not just the motor and trans that you would need, its all of the eletronics. i know they make alot of after market stuff to adapt LS motors, but i haven't seen anything for the VK56. Maybe i'm talking out of my ***.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Money will not be an issue and aside from obvious electricals I mean other then that, do you think I would need to mod the frame

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can go-to the wreck yard wisth all the totals and salvage titles and grab an engine electrical system and tranny for 800$ I know the owner

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money on a 2002 Ford Ranger. What's your end goal, why? Is it a show truck? Is it a chrap truck you want to be sleeper street racing? I'd like to see a picture of your Ranger.

How old are you, is this your only vehicle?

Of course you are going to have to modify the frame? It is going to have to have mounts for the engine and transmission welded to the frame. Cross members will have to be cut out and moved and welded back in, beefed up for the added power. Other things most likely will not fit and require additional cutting of the frame. You'll need a custom drive shaft. Maybe the Ford fuel pump will not pump enough or have enough pressure for the VK56 are you going to transfer a whole Titan fuel tank or put a additional fuel pump to handle the added demand? You'll most likely have cooling issues if you keep the Rangers radiator. How are you going to get the floor mounted transmission shifter from the Titan to fit and look any where near good in the Ranger?

The people that get on a car forum and ask if they can put this different engine in their vehicle have no idea of how expensive, complicated and what it entails. That's why you ask such a ridiculous question on a vehicle forum.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So what would it take?

Hmm, if this was me I would want:

$800
Access to a garage with a lift for at least a couple of months
Enough buddies with experience in:
Mechanical Engineering (well my son is one of those, so covered)
Expert welding
Electrical/Electronics wizardry (well, I'm a computer technologist, so can probably cover that)
CNC design and fabrication (and access to the CNC tech)
Custom exhaust fabrication (pipe bending knowledge and equipment)
A lot of raw materials (for the custom fabrication; more $$$)
A whole lot of BEER
And some more BEER (we like BEER)
More talent than brains.

Did I miss anything?

Honestly, last time I tried this was back in the early 80's when we shoehorned a SB 350 4bbl into a 4th gen Malibu (came stock with a V6; could get a 305 but they were pretty rare, and I was buying well used, not new). Back then it wasn't so hard but GM parts were more interchangeable, and the V6 that was pulled was based on the same V8 we put back in (tranny fit) and there weren't really any electronics to worry about. The only real issue I had was keeping the engine mounts attached to the frame - engine kept torquing itself off the rails. Dad wasn't too happy about the mess in the garage when we were finished however. That was fun back then; I would never try it on a modern vehicle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have two other rangers, I want this to bey toy as well as just daily driver, I have an expectation for about 3-5 years time, I do have access to a grarage, lift , and weld tools, I knew about the motor mounts as it's similar to the Ford 302, but that's something that has been done and gone and I'm just looking for stock (maybe put on jbl headers and magnaflow 41, before junking my old Titan I did take the ecu and the wiring harness, 2005(06 model), I've already done the 5.7 swap from a Tahoe into a 91 Camaro with the 305, this is the 305 that was pathetic because of the oil crisis and we're waiting on a 4b Holley and we're gonna drop into our corvair in the back

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rn I'm working on my friend 67 sbc 5.7 and boreing out because it sat for decades without use and idk how he managed 20$ double hump heads but he did and we're doing those and he asked if I wanted his 327, I'm very fond of computer tech and coding and I've already pushed my other ranger (2.3 Mzr doch) to the limit with both tuneing and turbo that I can with 1200$. 366HP 290ft/lbs

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to the radiator, I have a couple vk radiators and was thinking having one in the front, I'm gonna grab another fuel pump since the 4l ohv pump will certainly not be enough, I have done the gas tank mod and have 30 gallons estimate and have the double leaf spring and a dana 1t axle from an 88 ranger held together with moved shock mounts and spring mounts, this truck is kinda my I don't give two [email protected]!# about truck because my other 2002 ranger as mentioned above if perfect the way it is

·
Registered
62 Posts
k man i wanna a ford ranger with a 5.6 in it now. lol.
it sounds like you understand what your getting into.
good luck and plz post some pic when its finished.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My goal is for a toy truck, and yeah , I think I'll go with a stroker kit first, then super charger (stillen) and then if I can do turbos I will, camping will come before the boost though but after the stroker

·
Premium Member
20,534 Posts
Over on The Ranger Station I think there are a number of write-ups on how to put the Mustang 5.0 V8 into a Ranger. That's where I would start.

·
Premium Member
70,157 Posts
:popcorn:

Reactions: Titan332009

·
Registered
260 Posts
My goal is for a toy truck, and yeah , I think I'll go with a stroker kit first, then super charger (stillen) and then if I can do turbos I will, camping will come before the boost though but after the stroker
Stroker kit? I think you've severely over-estimated the aftermarket for the VK56...

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'd rather resurrect the whole TITAN :)

Reactions: noel55

·
Registered
831 Posts
many other power plants that would be the better bang for the buck, and less headache

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want the 5.6 because everyone does LS everyone Does 5.0, I used to have a Titan and loved it then it decided to have pcm problems and I traded in for a 2017 F250 lariat 6.7, the Titan that I have rn I salvage rear end by rig but the tranny is fine and engine too, wouldnt you guess it the headers are cracked... Oh well I have headers already. I plan to use a 35 turbo from a 12v Cummins. I'm still mocking up in cad the fitment then we're gonna start getting the trucks pulled apart and the ranger reworked, gonna cut the firewall back and take out the entire center of the cab floor put the tranny in, weld some now flanges and put the 6 speed manual in, gonna have oil coolers for both the engine and trans. After everything's done. Ford 8.8 diff with 4.56 locking electric and 36-40" tires, then after that gonna do a carbon fiber under body and hood scoop with filter for the turbo gonna be in the style of the Challenger rocker hood where the vents shook

1 - 20 of 86 Posts