Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while.
Why would this be the dumbest thing, in only looking to make around 525HP for offroading, we go mud bogging here and I love the sound of this motor

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,187 Posts
Oh brother. You really have no idea what you're getting into. Forced induction of any kind doesn't work with the VK56. There is very limited aftermarket support for the engine as well. Many have tried to modify this engine, all have failed. You really should stick to an LS, Hemi, or something with some support. You do all this work, spend all that time and money, just to pick up pieces off the road when you blow the bottom out of it, if you ever even get it to start. It would be awesome if it worked. I have 0 confidence in this undertaking. Go for it, we'll be over there shaking our heads...

Reactions: Titan332009

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh brother. You really have no idea what you're getting into. Forced induction of any kind doesn't work with the VK56. There is very limited aftermarket support for the engine as well. Many have tried to modify this engine, all have failed. You really should stick to an LS, Hemi, or something with some support. You do all this work, spend all that time and money, just to pick up pieces off the road when you blow the bottom out of it, if you ever even get it to start. It would be awesome if it worked. I have 0 confidence in this undertaking. Go for it, we'll be over there shaking our heads...
I have the research on this motor, and access to a laser cnc and standard hydro cnc to put in the larger caps, gonna weld onto the sides of the cylnder walls support ribs, arp head bolts and studs, will have completely forged crank to pistons, the cylnders will be over bore .02 as I am going to make it run like new, dry sump will hi pressure oil pump, and a custom built hi pressure water pump.

I've built up stuff like a turbo Ford 300 and a 5.7 Pontiac, finances are not the issue, and I'm taking my time on this measuring everything from cylnder wall thickness down and mapping to cad, I have a long list of things to do by August if next year before I even start to build it, when the project starts it'll be baby steps checking tolerances and for flex

If there's a will there's a way and I picked up the motor out of a 2016 with 47k on it so not really too much use

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,187 Posts
We'll be over there... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

giphy (8).gif

·
Premium Member
20,547 Posts
Good luck on your project. What 4mula1fan was trying to say is that very few Titans have made impressive numbers with the supercharger that was available. Even fewer (like a very small handful) were remotely successful with a turbo. Putting the engine in a different vehicle altogether - along with a custom engine bay - might improve the fitment issues that came up with adding a turbo to the VK56 in the Titan.

Most of the guys that went fast did it with cams, headers/exhaust, intake, throttle body and custom tuning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Good luck on your project. What 4mula1fan was trying to say is that very few Titans have made impressive numbers with the supercharger that was available. Even fewer (like a very small handful) were remotely successful with a turbo. Putting the engine in a different vehicle altogether - along with a custom engine bay - might improve the fitment issues that came up with adding a turbo to the VK56 in the Titan.

Most of the guys that went fast did it with cams, headers/exhaust, intake, throttle body and custom tuning.
I do know the cams intake headers and tune

I did that to my 06 and went from 310hp. To about 415

Minus the supercharger

·
Premium Member
75,023 Posts
no one has successfully tuned the vk56 with a turbo set up for cheap.

the most recent was posted on a FB group and I said: no one can tune the motor with a turbo but many have tried. What makes you so special. This guy replied with confidence that he was the unicorn whisperer of tuning. Guess who hasn't posted a successful running project yet?

Not to mention the engine management system that you'll have to create from thin air.

We did have a guy swap the VK into a sandrail but again that wasn't cheap. Lots of guys have put the VK in a Frontier and Titan swapped the suspension... but again all NA, no turbos. Hell, you won't need turbos or a supercharger with the power to weight ratio you'll be running.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
no one has successfully tuned the vk56 with a turbo set up for cheap.

the most recent was posted on a FB group and I said: no one can tune the motor with a turbo but many have tried. What makes you so special. This guy replied with confidence that he was the unicorn whisperer of tuning. Guess who hasn't posted a successful running project yet?

Not to mention the engine management system that you'll have to create from thin air.

We did have a guy swap the VK into a sandrail but again that wasn't cheap. Lots of guys have put the VK in a Frontier and Titan swapped the suspension... but again all NA, no turbos. Hell, you won't need turbos or a supercharger with the power to weight ratio you'll be running.
I never said it was gonna be cheap, I have about 19 years worth of tuning knowledge and I ripped the basemap from the Titan already, I said 6 years because that's an estimate, I have a team together and we work hard. Vno ones special, it's all in the effort that's willing to be put in, I know how far and few the turbos are, my friend has a supercharged 09 and we're gonna compare the basemaps to see where we can move from, when we start getting good numbers I'll start posting basemaps for you guys I'm looking at 16 psi boost for reference with the HX35 turbo, if you try to out us down don't, this is something for everyone, not just us, if you have info to spill or anything idea wise spill it, for all of us we work together nomatter how far, if someone finds something that works post it, if I then I will too, please no more negative comments, we all want more power by turbo or super

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,187 Posts
Is this 06Hemi?? :LOL:

·
Premium Member
75,023 Posts
OK, but FWIW forum member toomanymods was about 30k deep into his turbo build and had direct support from uprev before he sold his.

STS built a remote turbo Titan with Limited success, it's out there somewhere.

There is 1 turbo titan running in the Georgia area.

I'm not saying it's impossible but many have tried and failed.

and after you boost the Titan you'll be chasing transmission issues..... then the 3rd member.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
OK, but FWIW forum member toomanymods was about 30k deep into his turbo build and had direct support from uprev before he sold his.

STS built a remote turbo Titan with Limited success, it's out there somewhere.

There is 1 turbo titan running in the Georgia area.

I'm not saying it's impossible but many have tried and failed.

and after you boost the Titan you'll be chasing transmission issues..... then the 3rd member.
Look money is not an issue for us, our budget for this build is in the 60K range

We have many transmissions to use like the Borg Warner T19 Wich is capable, can you get me the guys contact info if he's on here or ask him if he can call or something I want to bring turbo titans into the mainstream but the reason for the ranger swap is because I want a fast sleeper for the road and off-road and to put to shame my coworkers hellcat

·
Premium Member
20,547 Posts
His user name here on the forum is toomnymods. No A in the name. He hasn't been around for a while, so he may not respond to a private message. I don't know him, never met him. I have no other contact information for him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
His user name here on the forum is toomnymods. No A in the name. He hasn't been around for a while, so he may not respond to a private message. I don't know him, never met him. I have no other contact information for him.
Thank you, if I get in contact I'll see if I can fly over and take look at the Titan and explain to him what the teams plan is, and see if he'd be willing to help out

·
Premium Member
75,023 Posts

I can't find his build thread but... read those threads.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
What I don't quite get is... if you have all this knowledge, access to tools, welders, garages with lifts for extended periods of time, and are bound and determined to do this, why in the hell would you come onto a forum and ask if it can be done when the two vehicles don't even exist in the same realm? It's pretty much a really HIGH chance that no one has ever successfully made this swap. Seems just like a troll thread to me...

21 - 40 of 86 Posts