Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've owned a G35 Coupe, 350Z and RX8 and on the various message boards I've heard nothing but praise for the cold air intake/Volant. I'am just wondering if the "5.5L" is a typo?

·
Registered
780 Posts
More miles to the gallon and up to 18hp and 40lbs of Torque.

re: http://dealerssporttruck.com/produc...search=volant
that web page claimed: "...More miles to the gallon and up to 18hp and 40lbs of Torque..." for only $300, but does this really work? if this was guaranteed to gain 18hp then i'd have it installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
pluckyew said:
re: http://dealerssporttruck.com/produc...search=volant
that web page claimed: "...More miles to the gallon and up to 18hp and 40lbs of Torque..." for only $300, but does this really work? if this was guaranteed to gain 18hp then i'd have it installed.

It's probably a great kit, but 18hp...I highly doubt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Any one elce notice it says the Titan has a 5.5L motor?
As far as 18 hp it is possible. On my WS6 I changed out the lid when it was stock and gained 9.8RQHP wich is about 15-16 flywheel hp!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know for a fact those intakes are dyno proven to NOT work on a Tundra. In fact they cost us low-end torque in lue of a few useless top end ponies.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Those intake kits (more air in) usually compromise low end torque while give you a few hp at peak rpm. Having said that, this kit is for cool air and I think the Titan air box is already located very close to the front to take advantage of cool air.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
MaxPowers said:
Dang. I wonder when they are coming out with one for the Titan.
Dang! :rolleyes:

Chances are that when they do if it's anything like the ones for the Tundra that it will just cost you a little low end torque in lieu of a few top end horsepower. They market the crap out of these things that they are cold air intakes as if the stock systems aren't but most of the time what people have is already a cold air intake system and they charge upwards of $300 for these pieces of junk.

The same goes with exhaust systems. I bought an $800 TRD dual exhaust system for my truck and it cost me so much low-end torque that I couldn’t spin the tires even in a turn but I could when I had the stock exhaust. I tried a JBA single Evol exhaust and it was better but I still lost a little low-end torque. The truck still felt stronger with the stock exhaust on. The JBA Evol exhaust was a 2-1/2” system and the stock system is 2-3/8”. The engineers put the perfect diameter exhaust tubing on these things for the best compromise between low end and top end and changing it, on a Tundra anyway, only hurts performance in the low end where you need it the most.

The best part is I bought a $99 Spintech muffler, cut the stock muffler off, and welded the Spintech muffler in it’s place reusing the stock 2-3/8” tubing. I did this trying to see if the engineers left some power to be gained at least in changing the stock muffler. With this setup I felt a seat of the pants improvement so to confirm that I dyno tested it on a Dynojet 248c. I ran a few times with the stock exhaust and than I ran with the Spintech muffler installed all on the same day on the same dynamometer for more accurate results. It showed that I gained 12 ft. lbs. and 8 horsepower with gains from down low up to the redline.

So you guys with your Titans might want to save your money and try some traditional hot roding and just swap out the parts that are most likely to be restrictive. With the exhaust system that would be the muffler and maybe the manifolds/ headers. I tested a K&N clone intake system against the stock intake system at the drag strip and I ran quicker ET and higher mph with the stock filter box than I did with that piece of noisy crap intake system. All that intake system did was make my truck sound like it had a four barrel carburetor on it. These trucks are so well engineered today that it’s very hard to make large gains with just bolt on parts. Often times the stock exhaust tubing diameter is the perfect size. I properly engineered single exhaust system makes just as much or more power than a dual exhaust system and its lighter and cheaper too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
V8toilet said:

Chances are that when they do if it's anything like the ones for the Tundra that it will just cost you a little low end torque in lieu of a few top end horsepower. They market the crap out of these things that they are cold air intakes as if the stock systems aren't but most of the time what people have is already a cold air intake system and they charge upwards of $300 for these pieces of junk.

The same goes with exhaust systems. I bought an $800 TRD dual exhaust system for my truck and it cost me so much low-end torque that I couldn’t spin the tires even in a turn but I could when I had the stock exhaust. I tried a JBA single Evol exhaust and it was better but I still lost a little low-end torque. The truck still felt stronger with the stock exhaust on. The JBA Evol exhaust was a 2-1/2” system and the stock system is 2-3/8”. The engineers put the perfect diameter exhaust tubing on these things for the best compromise between low end and top end and changing it, on a Tundra anyway, only hurts performance in the low end where you need it the most.

The best part is I bought a $99 Spintech muffler, cut the stock muffler off, and welded the Spintech muffler in it’s place reusing the stock 2-3/8” tubing. I did this trying to see if the engineers left some power to be gained at least in changing the stock muffler. With this setup I felt a seat of the pants improvement so to confirm that I dyno tested it on a Dynojet 248c. I ran a few times with the stock exhaust and than I ran with the Spintech muffler installed all on the same day on the same dynamometer for more accurate results. It showed that I gained 12 ft. lbs. and 8 horsepower with gains from down low up to the redline.

So you guys with your Titans might want to save your money and try some traditional hot roding and just swap out the parts that are most likely to be restrictive. With the exhaust system that would be the muffler and maybe the manifolds/ headers. I tested a K&N clone intake system against the stock intake system at the drag strip and I ran quicker ET and higher mph with the stock filter box than I did with that piece of noisy crap intake system. All that intake system did was make my truck sound like it had a four barrel carburetor on it. These trucks are so well engineered today that it’s very hard to make large gains with just bolt on parts. Often times the stock exhaust tubing diameter is the perfect size. I properly engineered single exhaust system makes just as much or more power than a dual exhaust system and its lighter and cheaper too.
I agree with some of the things, But again my WS6 with an LS1 did noting but gain HP and TQ with an aftermarket lid! I also gained a 10th in the 1/4 mile and my et went up 2mph. If i can find that dyno sheet i will try to post it later!

·
Registered
497 Posts
V8toilet said:

:rolleyes: lets not go to far now. i put a dual outlet gibson on my little 4cyl s-10 and it spun the tires like candy. putting on a exhaust is not gonna make you loose such a drastic amount of low end torque and power that you cant even spin your wheels. did you dyno your truck with trd exhaust or just use the good ol butt dyno? :upsidedow even if you took a exhaust off a 4cly you still could roast the tires off with no prob so a 8 not spinning tires is pretty hard to believe. same thing with your k&n, did you do a dyno with the stock intake then with the aftermarket intake? a dyno is the only way to see for sure. doesnt k&n dyno their intakes and give you a print out? testing a product at a drag strip doesnt prove anything sinces theres alot of factors that come into play.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I can't spin the tires with the duals but can with the stock exhaust in a turn than that is a seat of the pants difference enough for me to know I lost some power down low. Most guys who have done some hot rodding know that bigger is not always better when designing exhaust systems and putting a dual 2-1/4” exhaust system on in place of what was once a single 2-1/4” system for a 2001 Tundra hurts low-end torque.

I know what you mean by the LS1 engines. The Chevy Vortec engines respond much more favorably to such modifications than most. I'm just telling you guys my own experiences with my Tundra in hopes that it might help you Titan guys out if you run into the same troubles that I did. Take it with a grain of salt though as I don’t own a Titan and this is the internet were everyone is an expert. :bye:

·
Registered
497 Posts
V8toilet said:
If I can't spin the tires with the duals but can with the stock exhaust in a turn than that is a seat of the pants difference enough for me to know I lost some power down low. Most guys who have done some hot rodding know that bigger is not always better when designing exhaust systems and putting a dual 2-1/4” exhaust system on in place of what was once a single 2-1/4” system for a 2001 Tundra hurts low-end torque.

I know what you mean by the LS1 engines. The Chevy Vortec engines respond much more favorably to such modifications than most. I'm just telling you guys my own experiences with my Tundra in hopes that it might help you Titan guys out if you run into the same troubles that I did. Take it with a grain of salt though as I don’t own a Titan and this is the internet were everyone is an expert. :bye:
so you dont have any dyno's? i know that changing backpressure and diff. effects at diff. rpms and that putting a dual out muffler on, depending on its flow rate, will tend to free up ponies at the upper rpms and will have a adverse effect towards the bottem. but not to the extent you described, especially on the tundras v-8. not a expert, just like to keep the facts straight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't have a dyno for the TRD compared to stock but I do have a dyno comparing the stock exhaust to a Spintech muffler all done on the same dyno on the same day. Here is the horsepower.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/14334/password//sort/1/cat/6049

Here is the torque. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/7567/password//sort/1/cat/6049

My friend also ran his Tundra with TRD headers and true dual exhaust and he put down less power than I did. Here is his truck compared to mine with the only modification being a Spintech muffler, nothing else. I even reused the stock exhaust tubing.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/9860/password//sort/1/cat/6049

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
497 Posts
sure does, thanks. they prove what i agreed on and my point that there is no substantial power loss to the extent you previously described.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I added the TRD duals to my V6 tundra and lost zero bottom end. The V6 had a "kick" at around 3krpm, and after the duals I could tell there was even more. So maybe it's just the difference between the two motors.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't get it when people say that stuff like exhaust, intake, or headers won't increase that much or if it does at all. Everytime i see a dyno from somebody that makes something like this it shows increases. I don't see why companies would even make things like this for our trucks if it don't really do that much for it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts