Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you out there that say the Volant CAI makes to much noise, i found a way to quiet it down. The lid is to thin and flexes, that is where most of the noise is coming from. All of the performance with out the noise. Now it is a little louder than the stock air box mod. I can tell what the engine is doing now. What i did was cut a piece of 1/8th inch sheet aluminum to match to top of the CAI with a 4" grinder and cut off wheel. I used automotive weatherstrip to seal the new lid to the box. Then drilled out the mounting holes. I used the grinder with a grinding disk to smooth out the edges and to give my lid a brushed effect, the alum. i had was pitted a little so this cleaned it up. Simple but effective. You can also paint, polish or powdercoat if you want. This should work on other styles of CAI's.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Very nice. I always thought the thin lid acted like a drum and amplified the sound so I used a few more screws to keep the lid down. I think another member replaced the lid with a clear piece of Plexiglas which was nice because you could see the filter inside.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good stuff! I never thought about it that way. I'm definitely gonna give this a try. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
160,976 Posts
crippeninc said:
Very nice. I always thought the thin lid acted like a drum and amplified the sound so I used a few more screws to keep the lid down. I think another member replaced the lid with a clear piece of Plexiglas which was nice because you could see the filter inside.
I think you're right. I think Agtitan did this, and IIRC it was with a little help from VShortt?

Nice job on the fab up! :D

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
crippeninc said:
Very nice. I always thought the thin lid acted like a drum and amplified the sound so I used a few more screws to keep the lid down. I think another member replaced the lid with a clear piece of Plexiglas which was nice because you could see the filter inside.[/QUOTE

Yes, The plexi would make it easier to see the filter, like the S&B, but it has to be thicker than the alum. i used to stop the vibration that causes the noise.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I love this new CAI NR Mod. I had a much more enjoyable ride to work this morning. My trip is about 45 miles mostly interstate. I do not have to turn the radio up as loud to hear it over the CAI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts