Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a really killer deal on the volant comes to under 230 shipped.. but then i can get the s&b for a bit less than that. also i am a dealer for aem so i get those wholesale.. as well as afe stuff..

i have used afe filters themselves on other intakes in the past and loved them. but i hear just so many mixed things about all of these. i tend to lean to the volant or s&b due to closed systems.. i know the aem seals to the hood but i wonder how well.. (and i know they have the fram boost ones also), i like the idea of the dry filter but ill say i used them on previous cars and they were sorta fragile.. they didnt seem to take much abuse. maybe they have made them better..

anyway would you grab the volant for 227.00? or take the s&b for about 10$ less..

and what if the afe stage 2 system. a few people say this syetem threw codes??

thanks for all the info so far great forum here

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also what are the primary differences between the s&b and the volant.. ?? i see some complaints about both fitment wise and the s&b with some noises and vibrations?? thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just removed a Volant to install an S&B. Nothing wrong with the Volant, but I wanted to try another CAI and saw that a lot of people going with the S&B. Dyno results on the "other" site also showed that it has as good as or better gains than most other intakes.

As far as differences/similarities, they're both completely sealed boxes as you know, but the S&B lid is clear so you can inspect the filter without having to take the lid off, and the lid is a lot more rigid than the Volant so it doesn't have a tendancy to flex. The S&B box is also overall a lot smaller than the Volant, but I think that's due to the extra hole in the bottom of the Volant for the optional air scoop.

One thing that the Volant has that the S&B does not is that it comes with a rubber gasket to help seal the opening against the fender well. The S&B does not and sits about 1/2" away. If you want it sealed you'll have to add some 3M weatherstrip. On the other hand, the filter on the S&B has a velocity stack on the end which I really like and the Volant does not.

You'll probably be happy with either one, but I won't be putting the Volant back on. The S&B has a better sound, and just from the seat of the pants it seems to perform better. They're both LOUD at WOT.

One other thing - If you order directly from S&B they'll engrave the lid with whatever you want (one line) at no extra charge. I had them put "5.6L Endurance V-8" on mine...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts