Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at mid 90s + tdis lately as a gas saver for school. Im not looking to sell the titan. From what ive read the tdi motors get like 45mpg which would be perfect for the 25 mile commute.

Has any owned, driven or had any experience with any tdi? Id like to get some owner opinions on
a 5spd Beetle, jetta, golf w.e.

Thanks
-Dave

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
157 Posts
My good friend has a 2001 tdi beetle since it was new and other than regular maintenance it's been pretty trouble free about 50mpg on the high way. I think hes got about 120k on it.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
IIRC, their only weak spot was the tranny... But that might be the newer ones. I see them all the time around here, they must be good :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive seen them for sale on cl from 80k to 500k miles. So i would say there pretty reliable. I found a 97 jetta tdi 5 spd with a bigger turbo and injectors. Might go look at it. He want 3200 i think.

-Dave

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Good luck getting the advertized mpg on a 20 year old car. It will be a gas saver compared to the T, but getting 45mpg on a mid 90's car is a bit optimistic IMO.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck getting the advertized mpg on a 20 year old car. It will be a gas saver compared to the T, but getting 45mpg on a mid 90's car is a bit optimistic IMO.
Im not sold on it yet but from the research ive done 40 - 50 mpg seems about what everyone gets. Even if i get 35mpg ill still be saving gas. Im probably not gonna buy till october ( i start school in november ) but it cant hurt to start looking now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I owned a 2000 jetta tdi. I always got 40mpg, certainly dropped driving the interstate into the 30's. Body and interior was not that durable. Very strong engine, you will be very suprised by how well it drives...lots of torque :). Little to no diesel smoke.
The first time i drove one, the salesguy was amazed at the acceleration compared to the jett gti, he had never even driven one before.
The fuel filter has to be changed every 20 k or so. Special oil, ch4 rated, to protect the turbo.....timing belt is $$$ to change (mine was 750) and requires special tools.....if your thinking of doing it yourself.
I spent 3x the amount of time working on it compared to my Titan...but fun stuff
It had 156k miles on it when sold, ran just as strong as it did day one..

Have any used TDI checked out by a diesel mechanic...

Check out tdiclub.com for more help... i learned tons

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Ya thats th site ive been looking at today. My buddy is a diesel mech so ill get him to check it out them me. I guess the trick is to buy them after 80k cause thats when the timing belt is generally replaced.

-Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
A bunch of them starting popping at 60k, VW changed the belt design later in 2000 and they lasted much longer. Same with the MAF.....crap from the factory, better later...best of luck

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! Well see what happens here in the next few months. Id hate to put all the milage on my t and my 35" m/ts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im a VW enthusiast and have had a few different TDI's. They make great cars but the way to go is with a 5 speed, and to absolutely make sure that either the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, ect. have already been changed or you do it as soon as you buy the car. IF not that will be your biggest downfall and will most certainly cause engine failure. Other than that just normal maintenance and your good to go.

Oh and the interior panels will drive you crazy as the rubber peels off. Nothing important though.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah im deffinatly gonna get a 5spd. I miss driving stick haha. Yeah ive heard of all those issuses thanks.

-Dave.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts